News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

747ER Normal Procedures: Flows and Checklists

Started by Will, Tue, 27 Jul 2021 17:19

Will

Hi all,

For anyone who is interested, here is a set of flows and Normal Procedures checklists for the 747-400 passenger ER version.

As some of you know, I wrote a tutorial about five years ago on how to customize checklists in PSX. It's here:

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3578.0

This basically an updated version of that checklist, using an ER version this time and the NG FMC. The linked document is 8 pages long, with the first 7 pages being flows with checklists embedded. The last page contains the checklists only.

For newcomers, the FLOWS are the normal procedures arranged in a standardized format that moves through each panel from top to bottom, inboard to outboard, divided between left seat and right seat duties. The flows should be memorized. That may seem ambitious, after all, there are a lot of items... but when you see that the flow basically has you move through the entire cockpit asking yourself "what's the correct position for this switch," it becomes easy and even intuitive, so memorizing them isn't such a heroic feat. It comes pretty easily.

After each flow is completed, the crew calls for the checklist that follows the flow, to make sure that the most vital items have been completed correctly.

If you use this document, you should refer to the printed flows (pages 1-7) until you have them committed to memory, and then just refer to the final page (page 8) for the checklists. I recommend printing (just) page 8 out on cardstock, so you have all the checklists in one handy place with no extraneous paper lying about.

Here is a PDF: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqgnoy4uh1t36pt/Normal%20Procedures%20747ER%20v1.2.pdf?dl=0

Here is a Word doc:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxr7nhkqouv4ftl/Normal%20Procedures%20747ER%20v1.2.docx?dl=0

Two other comments...

First, the linked checklists are for the passenger ER version, that has been outfitted with a certain selection of equipment including the NG FMC. Therefore, this set of normal procedures might not correspond to the model that you personally like to fly with PSX. To get the checklists to match the model you fly, you can modify the Word document to match your model, or else I can share my model file upon request and you can use these flows as-is.

Second, I made a full set of updated audio files so that your virtual copilot can read the checklists to you using the V and R keys (or controller buttons if you have those assigned). I can link to these on request as well, or you can follow the instructions in the tutorial and make your own.

I hope someone finds this useful!

Disclaimer: For flight simulator purposes only.
Will /Chicago /USA

Ton van Bochove

Thanks Will, These NP are for the PW engined aircraft. Are there differences with the GE engined Aircraft?
Ton

Will

Hi Ton,

First, just a note that the Normal Procedures and the checklists that I made are for an entirely fictitious aircraft. Maybe everyone knows this, but only 6 passenger ER versions were ever shipped, and they all had GE engines. So a passenger ER with PW4062 is not something that ever flew in real life. (The PW4062 does fly on the ER cargo version though, just not the passenger ER version.) Of course, that's the point of this exercise in home-made checklists: not to replicate the procedures of a real-world airline, but to demonstrate how the PSX experience (including the virtual PNF who reads the checklist to you) can be customized.

But that wasn't your question, lol. As for the differences with GE aircraft, the differences in the Normal Procedures flows are minor.

1. On page 2, on the section PREFLIGHT FLOW: OVERHEAD, the item "Auto Ignition Selector" would be set to SINGLE instead of BOTH.

2. On page 6, the section MANUAL START SEQUENCE would be different. (I don't know what the manual start sequence is for GE engines, so I can't help you there.)

3. Numerous circuit breakers on P6 change, but these aren't individually referenced in the Normal Procedures so there's no difference in the procedures.

That's it... all the rest of the procedures, and all the checklists, including the checklist summary card (the final page) stay the same. Which means the audio files don't change either.

So those are the differences between PW and GE engines. What about the differences between the ER version and the normal passenger version? These differences are even smaller...

1. The squib test is simplified on the normal passenger version, so on page 1 under AIRCRAFT PREPARATION FLOW it would simply say Squib Tests 1 & 2..... PERFORM.

2. The normal passenger version doesn't have auxiliary tanks, so you would delete the reference on page 1 to the "Aux Tank Defuel Transfer Switch" and you'd delete the reference to the auxiliary tanks on page 5 where the Fuel Pump conditions are described.

No changes to any other procedures, and no changes to the checklists or the audio files.

Of course, changing between PW4062 and CF6 engine (and changing from regular passenger to the passenger ER versions), would have huge effects on performance, but that is more of an issue for PFPX (or other flight planning software) than an issue for procedures and checklists.

I hope this is useful!
Will /Chicago /USA

Will

Oh, and here are the audio files and the pilot file, in case anyone wants them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q0eesbvm4t8e2s/Will2-Pilot.zip?dl=0

1. Extract the contents of the folder you just downloaded your desktop. Inside the folder, you should see another folder called -Will2 (full of audio files) and a text file called WJC 2 - Will2.pilot.

2. Move both the folder -Will2 and the file WJC 2 - Will2.pilot to Aerowinx/Audio/Pilots/

3. Start PSX, go to Instructor/Situation/Human/Pilot and select WJC 2 - Will2 as your PNF.

Now you'll hear your virtual copilot reading all the checklists on the summary card (the final page of the Normal Procedures packet). Use the V and R keys to navigate to the needed checklist.
Will /Chicago /USA