News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX Tellerium...Hanging in Air after landing

Started by vnangli, Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:26

vnangli

Members, I am trying to understand Tellerium a little bit more.

I have the Tellerium running. During and after landing, I notice the view point is still hanging in air (even after PSX 747 has touched down and come to a halt) and not on the runway. The Altitude correction is at "0". This happened to me when landing in Chicago Ohare. Zoom factor is at "1" and Tilt at "+30"

Where as, I land in JFK the touchdown seems realistic and airplane is on the ground (as noticed in my Safari browser window).

So, what is happening with the Chicago situation? Additionally, I see a little bit of stuttering in the safari browser. The frames are not smooth, whereas the PSX is running absolutely smoothly...
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

martin

Moi,

Quote from: vnangli...the view point is still hanging in air
This seems to be the issue described in the documentation (1), as explained in detail in the chapter on "Terrain and Altitudes" (2) and in even more detail in Note 8.

Quote from: vnangliThe Altitude correction is at "0"
The idea of the slider is the other way round: If with the slider at 0 you encounter these issues, you can move the slider to (visually) correct it.

Quote from: vnangliAdditionally, I see a little bit of stuttering in the safari browser. The frames are not smooth,
No surprise there: The maps for Tellurium are fetched in real time from remote servers (Cesium), and the whole thing is designed to run in a browser, so one cannot expect really smooth "frame rates" (map update rates, actually). In fact, the "cockpit view" is not much more than an extension of the "moving map" functionality, it's certainly not remotely in the same league as applications such as XView using local scenery generators (on the same computer).
See also the documentation chapter about "Main" and "Boost" Variants and Note 4 (3)

I don't have the Safari browser, so do not know how much of an influence this specific browser may also have.

Cheers,
Martin

PS See also Question 1 (in the box above the Introduction) for an explanation why it is "Tellurium")  ;)

From the documentation:
(1)
"...there is a somewhat grave conceptual issue (not bug) with terrain altitude as represented in Cesium. E.g. you may end up below ground even though the aircraft is perfectly positioned. Or you may "hover" when the plane should be sitting on the ground."

(2)
"So depending on where you are, PSX and PSX_T may have quite different ideas about your altitude. It will not matter too much at higher altitudes (unless you can visually spot the difference of being at FL340 vs FL320), but of course it does matter a lot for the question when exactly you are touching the ground on landing."

(3)
"Even if using the Boost Server, don't expect to be completely free of the famous 'stuttering'. "

vnangli

Thank you for the detailed explanation...Nevertheless, Tellerium is an amazing addon that I am very happy using. The altitude thing was a very minor observation.
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

martin

GustavoLaPasta

Is the Cesium map still not displaying 3D terrain like mountains and hills?

I loved Tellurium too, but stopped using it due to flat terrain, otherwise i would still be using it. It was amazing

martin

Quote from: GustavoLaPastaIs the Cesium map still not displaying 3D terrain like mountains and hills?
Not in PSX_Tellurium, no. As discussed earlier, Cesium no longer supports the "STK" 3D terrain which was used in Tellurium.

They do now offer another source for 3D terrain, but this would involve switching to another platform of theirs, which in turn would require transferring (or possibly rewriting from scratch) the ancient Tellurium code. It would also lead to various other technical complications, e.g. using their libraries online, not as the pared-down local file which comes with Tellurium; and it is not clear how that would affect performance. And so on. (Not to mention strange problems I had with overloading/overheating my computer when I once tested all this.)

Given the popularity and efficiency of true scenery generators such as XView/X-Plane, the necessary major adaptation of the old (and somewhat Rube-Goldberg-like  ;D) Tellurium does not really seem worth the effort and hassle any more, just to get 3D terrain back.

Cheers,
Martin