News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Date & Time setting by Instructor

Started by Tom Gorzenski, Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:24

Tom Gorzenski

Dear Hardy,

I have a kind request if you could consider making precise date & time setting by Instructor a little easier? The sliders are not very precise and if one wants to set precise date & time (up to 1 second) he/she needs to play quite a bit with both sliders and the Time Acceleration Tool.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hardy Heinlin

Dear Tom,

do you need such a precise function to set the current real-world time?
If so, just click the button "Copy real-world UTC to simulated UTC". It's precise to the millisecond.

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

Pierre Theillere

Hi Tom!

The add-on called "PSX Control" - https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4556.0 -  enables you (amongst many other things!) to remotely set PSx' time to the exact minute you want....
If you also use an iPad with "PSx Remote" you'll get a nice remote MCDU serving as a mini "instructor station"
Hope it helps!
Pierre, LFPG

Tom Gorzenski

Many thanks Pierre. I haven't known it before, and I will definitely have a look at that.
All the best,
Tom

Tom Gorzenski

Dear Hardy,

May be it would be beneficial if I add the following observation (applicable to version 10.138):

The simulator always starts with real-world UTC, even with the "Start with real-time UTC" box unticked (!). I have checked that several times, before I wrote this.

Imagine my frustration - you start your flight with real-time UTC, and over mid of Atlantic you have to make a break, so you automatically save the end of the session. 1 day, 2 hours and 33 minutes later you are ready to resume your last session, you start the simulator, the "End of last session" situation gets loaded, and guess what - the airplane's location is the same where it was when you ended your last session, but the clocks and FMCs don't show the time of the end of your previous session, but real-world UTC. So, you continue the flight, but now all ETAs are showing 2:33 later and when you land your flight time and block time are now 26 hours and 33 minutes longer than they actually were, because of the 26 hours and 33 minutes long break you took between the sessions. If we can have it fixed, half of my complaints about precise time settings will be gone :-)

Kind regards,
Tom

Ton van Bochove

I use a "interim"situ where I save the current flight before I go to bed....or do something else ;-) Next time you pick up the flight on the moment of saving.
Ton

Tom Gorzenski

Hi Ton,

Unfortunately no matter what situ I use, the simulator (ver 10.138) behaves like the "Start with real-world UTC" box (Preferences/Simulator Start) is always ticked, even though it is not.

Best regards,
Tom

simbro

The problem is that the "Start with real-world UTC" box state is saved in the situ file and set accordingly on reload of the situ....
So, even when the box is not ticked on the Instructor page it will be set if it was enabled when the situ was saved.

In your situation you would need to remove the check box before terminating PSX - which would then be saved in the situ file at the session end...

Regards
Simon

Tom Gorzenski

Hi Simon,

Believe me or not - this is exactly what I do. The simulator always sets real-world UTC time when started. No matter if the box was ticked or not when the situ was saved manually or automatically at the end of the session. It has not been ticked a single second for several simulator sessions today. I always get real-world UTC on simulator start up. Maybe tomorrow in the evening I will be able to make a short movie about it.

Kind regards,
Tom

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

the sim starts with real-world UTC if either of these two options is selected:

1. "Start with real-world UTC" (Preferences > Basics) is selected

2. Or "Set zones by flight track and downloaded METARs" (Situation > Weather) is selected in the situ file that is loaded at sim start.

So if you don't want to get real-world UTC at sim start you need to deselect both options 1 and 2.

When 2 is selected, you get real-world weather and real-world UTC.

When 2 is selected, and you quit the sim inflight, say, on Monday, and continue the flight on Friday, your selected option 2 will not keep the last Monday weather; it will download the current Friday weather.

And when you get the current real Friday weather you also get the current real Friday UTC. Real weather and real UTC must agree, otherwise the scenario wouldn't be plausible. You can't get snow in summer.

Do you see the principle?

Your problem is that you don't want to get real weather and real UTC when you continue a flight after a long sim session break. When you quit on Monday, and restart on Friday, you want to continue the Monday scenario. So just do this in the situation that you use for sim start:

Deselect option 1 and 2.

See also: https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4868.msg51931#msg51931

Regards,

|-|ardy

Tom Gorzenski

Dear Hardy,

Many thanks for the explanation. It is absolutely clear to me now. The second option thing somehow excaped me.

Kindest regards,
Tom