News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.7 and MSFS 2020

Started by Eric Volmer, Mon, 10 May 2021 16:07

Eric Volmer

Recently, I acquired the excellent Aerowinx 744 simulator software along with the NG FMS upgrade and the latest available AIRAC cycle 2003. This all works perfectly to me! And my sincere compliments go to Hardy Heinlin for the perfect implementation of the 747!
Now, I wanted to connect the add-on software WidePSX (Version 2.5.7), to be able to integrate the scenery of MSFS 2020. Unfortunately, that did not work.
Although I had connected to the under PSX Instructor -Preferences/Basics- listed PSX host address (main and boost), WidePSX only successfully connected to the PSX Main IP & Port (10747) and Boost IP & Port (10749), but not with SimConnect (used same IP address & Port 10747). I also tried the SimConnect IP 127.0.0.1 with Port 29747.
What did I do wrong?
Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Best regards, Eric

Steve - Browny

Hi Eric,

I just set it up for myself last night. Did you remember to modify the Simconnect.xml file as per the installation instructions? It is a file that MSFS2020 uses that specifies which ports to open for connections with simconnect.

Steve

Eric Volmer

Hello Steve,
Thank you very much for your reply!
Sure, I adapted the file exactly according to the instructions.
Nevertheless.
Best regards,
Eric

JP59

Hi Eric,

For an unknown reason (for sure beyond my understanding) you can't set 127.0.0.1 in the SimConnect.xml file as the MSFS computer's address, even if you are running WidePSX and MSFS on the same computer. It worked with FSX/P3D, not with MSFS. You must set the true IP address of your MSFS computer (something like 192....) instead of 127.0.0.1 in both WidePSX IP window and SimConnect.xml

Hope this helps
Jean-Philippe

Eric Volmer

Hello Jean-Philippe,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
After numerous trials with all sorts of IP/Port variants, I finally succeeded in connecting WidePSX!
To my surprize, with settings that do not correspond with the recommendations at all.
I proceeded as follows:
First, I did select my Windows 10 (Pro) Task-Manager to find out the "PID" (process-ID) of the FlightSimulator.exe process. Then, I called the CMD Window and entered the command-line instruction "netstat -ano" to find programs that are listening on ports. Then, I searched for the MSFS PID and found particular IP addresses and ports. Finally, I tried the (few) most obvious ones and found the right combination to connect with SimConnect (after having updated the SimConnect.xml file).
That worked!!!
Hopefully, this is helpful info for other WidePSX users.
Best regards,
Eric

AWFrank

Quote from: Eric Volmer on Wed, 12 May 2021 18:52Hello Jean-Philippe,
After numerous trials with all sorts of IP/Port variants, I finally succeeded in connecting WidePSX!
To my surprize, with settings that do not correspond with the recommendations at all.
I proceeded as follows:
First, I did select my Windows 10 (Pro) Task-Manager to find out the "PID" (process-ID) of the FlightSimulator.exe process. Then, I called the CMD Window and entered the command-line instruction "netstat -ano" to find programs that are listening on ports. Then, I searched for the MSFS PID and found particular IP addresses and ports. Finally, I tried the (few) most obvious ones and found the right combination to connect with SimConnect (after having updated the SimConnect.xml file).
That worked!!!
Best regards,
Eric

Das ist ein super Beitrag!!! Hat nach langem Probieren die Lösung gebracht.
Diese Anleitung sollte in das handbuch für widepsx aufgenommen werden.

Viele Grüße Frank

Balt

Whenever you try to connect an add-on running ON your local computer TO your local computer, remember that your local computer has multiple network interfaces, and the server you're trying to connect to may not be listening on the most obvious interface. Always first try:

or
localhost

If those don't work, try the name of your machine. Mac/Unix users will know this so I'm only showing the way to do this on windows:

Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter this command:

ipconfig /all

Look for an entry that says "computer name" and try to ping it by entering this command in cmd.exe:

ping <hostname>

where <hostname> is the name you gleaned from the ipconfig /all output.

If ping gets a response, use that hostname in your add-on connection settings. The reason you should use the hostname is because the IP address may change the next time you connect/boot your computer. If you use the name, it will always work (as long as you don't change the computer name...)

Only as a last resort should you try the actual IP address of the computer, which you also can glean from the ipconfig /all output.

Icarus747

Quote from: Eric Volmer on Wed, 12 May 2021 18:52Hello Jean-Philippe,
I proceeded as follows:
That worked!!!
Best regards,
Eric

How did you test each port number?  I know you had to edit .xml file and enter the port into the widePSX host box, but did you have to start MSFS FIRST each time?
THRUST REF, VNAV SPEED!