News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Getting there: alternatives to 100% physical surround sims

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:15

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The usual objection to pure virtual reality (goggles only) sims was that you cannot properly interact with them.
Finally the combo of proper (accurate) hardware integration with VR, in a sub-class of augmented reality, seems to be good enough to support proper visuals:

https://twitter.com/EducationaIGIFs/status/1380716400939966465?s=20

This isn't augmented reality but more augmented immersion, I think. It leverages the tactile hardware with visuals. Is there an accepted term for it?

Hoppie

Gary Oliver

I have been getting into VR myself recently (with the advent of the Reverb G2 making it a viable solution).

I use it to Bimble around in a piper cub, a little bit of GA practice in the PA28, some twin engine action in a PA44 and some short range IFR in the CJ4.

The immersion factor for scenery is stunning when flying solo and that leaves my sim for serious simulating or with a group.

I got fedup of using the mouse so have created a PA28 and PA44 panel for my VR'ing.

Its a panel with switches, rotaries etc all laid out in the correct place but obviously with no actual instruments or lights etc.

The immersion is brilliant and its so easy to just reach out and push physical switches and buttons.

Not a great picture but you get the idea...

I think my friends setup where he has moved a reclining sofa to where the passenger cabin is, so he gets up with his VR headset, walks down the aisle and relaxes with a beer watching the world go by in the CJ4 might be the next job!

Cheers
G

Hardy Heinlin

What does your hand look like when your hand touches the virtual panel?

Will

I'm sure people are building gloves with sensors in them?
Will /Chicago /USA

asboyd

At one stage you could get headsets with cameras built in that overlaid the VR world onto the external.
Developers could design images that anchored to target points and you could see your own hands through the cameras.
I used the Rift SDK2 set which came out just before the SDK from another company with the cameras.... Could not afford both in the early days of Development....

Have not heard too much about them since the early days of VR :(

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

GodAtum