News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Joystick response - PSX and X-Plane

Started by vnangli, Wed, 7 Apr 2021 13:26

vnangli

Today, I was trying to use X-Plane as scenery generator for PSX and used the XVIEW plugin. I noticed there is a change in the response of my joystick inputs.

I am very passionate about hand flying the last 7NM (2500FT).

When I am flying with PSX as a stand alone simulator, I am able to pretty hit the touchdown point on the runway without drifting (left or right off the extended centerline) too much away. But when I have the X-plane connected, the same 7NM has become difficult as I noticed the plane has been responding a little too sensitive as compared to flying with just PSX running. By the time I will have landed, my flight path looks almost like a sinusoidal about the extended centerline (drift left, correct, now too much to right, repeat the correction).

Has anyone of you had a similar experience? Any help will be appreciated.
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

cagarini

has to do with the "smoothing" / "merging" algorithm used to convert the spatial references extracted from PSX variables into the corresponding ones in X-Plane.

There's a further "smoothing" option that I advise you to set to "FALSE" in XView.cfg:

SMOOTH_TRAJECTORY = FALSE   ; Extrapolate between PSX updates (default: FALSE)

As I have posted in many threads, I could never find an acceptable performance / realism from any of the external visuals bridges available for PSX. Nothing feels as smooth and realistic to me, specially under the conditions you describe, as using PSX standalone.

vnangli

Quote from: jcomm on Wed,  7 Apr 2021 13:56
..Nothing feels as smooth and realistic to me, specially under the conditions you describe, as using PSX standalone.

I cant agree more...This has been observation too. With just PSX running, I am extremely satisfied with how predictable the response is while using the joystick.

Thank you for the pointers. Appreciate it.
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

Ton van Bochove

Thanks Jcomm, I always thought it was an unsolved issue!
Ton

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Does anybody here have any inside knowledge on how the pro simulators handle their video? They face exactly the same problems after all. Often the vendor of the visual system isn't the same as the vendor of the sim core, and they usually run on completely different iron anyway.

It almost feels like you don't need just the 6 DOF data plus velocities plus accelerations, but also the flight controls input, in order to be just ahead of the PSX model with your visuals, to cover for the inevitable delay.

Hoppie