News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Any marker beacons in the USA in 2021?

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Tue, 30 Mar 2021 22:29

Hardy Heinlin

Good evening,

the FAA's ARINC-424 nav database for 2021 doesn't contain any marker beacons. Are they all decommissioned now or are they just excluded from the database?

I understand that more and more ILS get DMEs so that they don't need markers anymore.

Regards,

|-|ardy

dhob

For CAT II ILS approaches with RA Not Authorized minimums, an inner marker is required. Some examples are KMSP ILS 30L CAT II and KPIT ILS 10L/R CAT II.

Hardy Heinlin

Does the FAA require an inner marker even if there's a paired DME? If I recall correctly, the ICAO only requires markers when the paired DME is out of service.

dhob

For the approaches I referenced, the inner maker is required. No reference to DME is allowed. The published DA may be set, in which case the minimums are either the inner marker or DA, whichever occurs first.

Hardy Heinlin

OK, thanks. So, obviously, the markers are just excluded in the FAA's nav database.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is not relevant, but FYI: the local airport KTMB here (4000, 5000, and 6000 ft, so not for heavies) definitely has inner markers, they are hard to miss when driving around the periphery fence.

Hardy Heinlin

What I don't see anymore, however, in worldwide databases, are airway markers. I think the last ones were in Iceland, and they disappeared circa 2016.

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Hardy,

I agree - in direct comparison, the (inner) markers (e.g. JFK 04R/22L) are excluded from the FAA database but are still present in other databases.

Markus

(but I don't see (charted) any inner markers at KTMB, neither on the ILS chart nor in the database.)

JRBarrett

There are far fewer outer and middle markers in the US than there once were, but they are not completely gone. KLEX (Lexington, KY) has one on the ILS 22 and ILS 04 approaches. These are both LOMs with an associated NDB - (which are themselves an endangered species).  KSLN ILS 35 (also an LOM). Wichita (KICT) still has OM on 3 of 4 ILS approaches - one of which is an LOM.

jeffreymg

We have Marker Beacon's at KJAX Jacksonville International Airport in Florida on ILS 8 and 26 and runway 8 the middle marker is a LOM with a NDB.

Jeff