News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Honeycomb throttle quadrant...

Started by vnangli, Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:31

vnangli

Members, I am seriously considering to buy the Honeycomb Throttle Quadrant. Do you know if PSX will allow to map thrust reversers (on the Honeycomb quadrant) as well? I would grateful if any of you already using the quadrant, to share your experiences on the feel, experience.
Thanks
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

beat578

I just recieved my throttle quadrant and joke, but I won't be able to install it until next weeks. I give it a try and tell you my experience.

Looking at this topic: https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=6268.msg67725#msg67725 it seems that it will work, but you can not assign all button due to the lack of usb counterparts. I am not sure if scott already was successful writing hes own little app to map them.

EDIT: First Feedback
Ok I installed the Trhottle quadrant now (i did not install the joke yet). As cool the honeycomb is, it is very very limited with PSX at the moment:
You can assign the four throttles, the speedbreak and the flaps. They are working great and have a cool feel.
But you are not able to for example assign the gear to the gear leaver. In PSX you can select "cycle gear". But the honeycomb gear leaver is a one button leaver. up is off, down is on. so because you can only assing the cycle button, you have to put the leaver up and down again. with the first down push you lower the gear, with the second down push you upper ist. Thats not realistic of course. PSX does not recognise the switch buttons, only the one from the autopilot, but you can not assing a lot there.

So as amazing the honeycomb is, as long as nobody writes a tool to translate the inputs to the correct commands, its a very expensive four leaver throttle. And you can also not apply the revers, because the way honeycomb built them, they are only buttons and in PSX you can only apply axis to the reversers. So the leaver are only working "forward" into the power section, you have to use the mose for the reverser part still.

So i gues i will use it anyway and use it for my MSFS stuff, but its not very useful at the moment.

Kind Regards Beat

Will

I don't have the Honeycomb equipment so I don't know if this suggestion would be helpful, but it may be possible to map the buttons to keypresses, and send the keypresses to PSX. There are free-ware (or donation-ware) programs like JoyToKey that will do this easily.

With the gear lever, you might consider assigning the gear lever key to a convenient button. That way, to raise the gear, you would move the lever up, and tap the button. To move the gear to off, tap the button again. Then to lower the gear, move the lever down.

GEAR UP: Lever up, tap the button
GEAR OFF: Tap the button
GEAR DOWN: Lever down

It's not "realistic," but might be more natural than just using the lever alone (where it could get out of synch, e.g. down when the gear is up, etc.).
Will /Chicago /USA

Will

By the way, you can do the same thing with the reversers. Does each reverser lever act as its own button? If so, map only one onto the Backspace key, and then map an additional convenient button somewhere else (not on a reverser lever) to Backspace as well. It should then work like this:

Deploy reversers and set max thrust: Pull the levers back.
Idle reverse: Press the convenient button.
Stow reversers: Press the convenient button again, move the levers out of reverse.

Again, not "realistic," but workable. Assigning the other convenient button to Backspace keeps you from having to use three backwards pulls on the levers to deploy, idle, and stow the reversers.

The Thrustmaster Warthog throttles let you do this really well. The left throttle sends a button press when you move it fully aft. Also, on the underside of that same throttle lever, there is a red button. If you map the aft pull to Backspace, and the red button to Backspace, then when you land you can do this:

Deploy reversers and max thrust: Pull the throttles into reverse (don't let go, keep your hand where it is)
Idle reverse: Press the red button that's under your fingers on the throttle
Stow reversers: Press the red button again, move the lever out of reverse

You don't have to take you hand off the throttle at all to do this. Works well!
Will /Chicago /USA

beat578

Hi Will
Thanks for the Information. Sounds interesting. I'll try it with one of those mapping softwares. Mabe there is really one that is very customizable and could be tweaked further to for example also recognise if you depress a button, so you could map the reverser and gear leaver and stuff. I'll start doing a little research. Thanks Again.