News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FS2020 as Scenery Generator

Started by United744, Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:09

United744

Hi,

I have what could be classed as "mid-spec" computer these days (i7 9700K and 1080).

How are people finding FS2020 as a scenery generator?

I currently use X-Plane 11 with ortho in selected areas, and generally find it to be very good (I run PSX overlaid on it).

Aside from the pretty clouds, are there any other compelling reasons to get FS2020 and use it for scenery generation?

Thanks!

andrej

Hello United744,

I do have a slightly better system (graphics 2070) on a gaming laptop. I do not have issues with MSFS (fps wise) and based on my own non-scientific observations, the latest update improved quality and stability. I am not able to fly 10 hour missions without restart.

Previously I used POSKY models (have not used the since recent stability issue), and now I use B748i model.

In my humble opinion, MSFS2020 is superior scenery generator. There are good freeware alternatives and one does not have to "invest" into detailed scenery options.

You will be happy.
Andrej

simbro

Hi United744,

I have a very similar ,,mid-Range" system to you (graphics 1060) and with MSFS set to medium settings have no issues whatsoever...

Despite having moved over from P3Dv4 with plenty of bells-and-whistles I have no regrets and will comtinue with MSFS2020 as my scenery generator... Plenty of free addons available so no problems there!!

I agree with andrej.... Well worth it!!

Regards
Simon

United744

Hi,

@andrej: does FS crash for you after a while?

@simbro: what kind of "free addons" are you talking about? AFAIK, FS2020 has satellite imagery for the planet.

Is anything recommended to add to it?

What happens if the internet connection is lost? Does FS2020 still run? I know it streams scenery as you fly. What happens in this case?

simbro

Take a look at ,,flightsim.to" for a large selection of MSFS freeware.... airports, scenery enhancements, etc..

The photoscenery is unfortunately not complete (eg. EDDS is missing) and sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.  A number of airports are detailed but the majority are rather basic - though better than P3D/XP defaults!

I don't know the effects of an internet connection loss but assume that the scenery is no lomger updated seeing that it is streamed comtinously...

Regards
Simon

andrej

Previously I experienced CTD after 4-5 hours. Now, I manage 11-hours long flights without any issue. So the recent update did help me a lot. I have a feeling that it is smoother than before. But again, this is my own observation.

I second the "flightsim.to" website. There are many good add-ons, especially scenery add-ons. I own the Premium Deluxe Edition and I do not own as much third party airports. I did purchase some, especially EDDK as that is Stevens home-base.

If there is no internet connection, you are still able to fly, but the scenery quality is diminished. I did not have this issue, yet.

I still own X-plane, mainly for ZIBO mod. MSFS has WorkingTitle CJ4 and A32N mod. CJ4 alone is fun airplane and again, I am exploring new themes that I did not in any FS / P3D / XP11 (business jet flights, VFR flights!).

But, I always revert to the PSX as this is way above anything.
Andrej