News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

What is an Ethernet cable?

Started by andrej, Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:33

andrej

This feels like early 2000s to me. ;) I actually checked the date of the article, just to make sure that I am not reading something old.

https://news.yahoo.com/ethernet-cable-heres-connect-internet-212157519.html
Andrej

asboyd

You would be surprised at the number of millenials that do not use wired networking at home and even at school/tafe/uni....
My son still provides IT support (I did for 38 years) and recommends wired networking due to badly placed access points in larger buildings..... some companies try to use WiFi for everything and while they may have the money to do so, they do not invest nearly enough on meshed and secure networks....

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Walktall

I managed a four-year (1993-1997) project in South Africa where we converted Eskom sites (utility company) from Arcnet to Ethernet. Those days we used Cat4 cables, and later on Cat 5.

thecrazedlog

Quote from: asboyd on Tue,  9 Mar 2021 21:02
You would be surprised at the number of millenials that do not use wired networking at home and even at school/tafe/uni....
My son still provides IT support (I did for 38 years) and recommends wired networking due to badly placed access points in larger buildings..... some companies try to use WiFi for everything and while they may have the money to do so, they do not invest nearly enough on meshed and secure networks....

Cheers,
AlexB

I've just ticked over 17 years and I'd recommend wired over wireless wherever possible/convenient. Its more secure, quicker, more efficient and more reliable. (Secure: well, kinda. If your network has wireless and wired, there's no advantage to using wired security wise at that point. Probably.)

asboyd

Wireless can be very secure so long as you pay enough to make it so.
However as most people do not have a clue, they leave it open enough for non honest folk to get in...

"Locks are designed to keep out the honest people"

AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia