News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FMC for iPad

Started by United744, Sat, 6 Mar 2021 06:01

United744

Hi,

Does anyone know if the FMC app for iPad works on the latest iOS version? I got it years ago when it was first released, but wondering about getting a new iPad to act as an FMC.

Is it compatible with the NG FMC?

GustavoLaPasta

Hi, i use the ipad with latest ios 14.4 and the FMC app works great, it works with NG FMC too.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

United744

Quote from: GustavoLaPasta on Sat,  6 Mar 2021 11:52
Hi, i use the ipad with latest ios 14.4 and the FMC app works great, it works with NG FMC too.

Great! Thanks!

Stefan Kauth

I tried it on several iPads.
The oldest has iOS 9.3.5 and the newst 14. something.
Works on all of them absolute fine.
Also with NG FMC too but in green letters. I don't know if it is switchable to white but this is just eyecandy.

Original name in the Appstore is: "PSX Remote"

If you like it, please rate it. Its worth.
Best,

Stefan

Ton van Bochove

I tried it a few weeks on an iPad but it frequently freezes PSX so I stopped.
Ton

vnangli

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Tue,  9 Mar 2021 18:38
.... frequently freezes PSX so I stopped.

I had a similar experience sometime ago. But it happened because of me switching to another app (for e.g. iBooks or Safari etc.) on iPad, while the PSX remote was still running in the background....
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: vnangli on Tue,  9 Mar 2021 19:12
Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Tue,  9 Mar 2021 18:38
.... frequently freezes PSX so I stopped.

I had a similar experience sometime ago. But it happened because of me switching to another app (for e.g. iBooks or Safari etc.) on iPad, while the PSX remote was still running in the background....

I kept the iPad untouched and it happened.
Ton

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

This means likely that iOS stopped the app "because it was not actively being used" or something, to save battery. Since the app has an open TCP connection to PSX, and PSX keeps pumping data into it, when the app stops reading that data, eventually all buffers fill up and PSX cannot make progress.

Some programs exist to remedy exactly this problem. I think that PSX Router still will do it for you, and there probably are others whose names escape me.

iOS may also have a switch to not background an app or something.

An acceptable solution would that the app closes its connection when it is told to hibernate, but this obviously would require an update of the app.

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

QuoteOS may also have a switch to not background an app or something.

That was my thought too so I stopped the sleeping/screen modes but it still happened.
Ton

United744

Oh - so that's why that happened? I thought there was a bug (in the iPad app) and it crashed.

I thought as long as the screen was active on the iPad, so too was the app? I guess not...

I wonder how sat nav programs do it then? For hours they operate with no interaction.

asboyd

When I was looking at writing an app for andriod and IOS I discovered that Apple have a "keep alive" limiter built in that you need to take into account.
If the app does not have interaction with the IOS then it stops, you can add code to "keep alive" the app but it consumes battery power (in earlier phones at an alarming rate) so most apps do not have it.

I gave up on the IOS version as it was just not useful enough to warrant recharging your device every 3 hours.

Maybe things will change with IOS but unless the app is updated to have a backend interaction it will always appear to stop working. (IE IOS will shut it down).

AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

United744

The router option seems the only solution to that then!

Magoo

I had issues with mine recently due to an IOS upgrade I assume... It wouldn't start at all. I deleted it and reloaded it, all fixed!