News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Throttles twitching with Go Flight TQ6

Started by Kiteman76, Tue, 2 Mar 2021 11:06

Kiteman76

Getting quote a lot of noise from a Go Flight throttle quadrant I purchased. The throttles on Aerowinx keep twitching even when not being moved. The input numbers on the USB page seem to keep jumping 10 or 15 either way from their nominal position. With sliders you can't set a null zone? Any recommendations?

Hardy Heinlin

Actually, 15 is not much along the whole scale of 2000 units. Less than 1% noise ...

Kiteman76

Yes true Hardy, thanks for your reply 👍 Just a shame to see the throttles on my second monitor constantly twitching. I'll try a different cable and see if that helps. Maybe it'll improve over time too.

United744

Changing cables won't help. Go Flight uses potentiometers, and there is little to no filtering (otherwise input lag becomes unacceptable).

The only thing I can suggest is find a throttle quadrant that uses hall-effect sensors instead.

Hardy Heinlin

By the way, as long as they don't move more than one throttle knob width from each other, the 744 EEC will equalize the fuel flow across all four engines. The white thrust command lines on the EICAS may vibrate, but the actual white thrust bar will be pretty stable. (The EEC won't move the levers; it will control the respective fuel valves directly.)

Kiteman76

I see thank you. Maybe I shouldn't have the throttles displayed on the screen at all and just the EICAS screens. Surprised that I quality product lift Go Flight wouldn't be more accurate. My Microsoft Sidewinder old joystick slider, shows no noise when assigned to the throttles.

Will research hall effect sensors 👍

United744

QuoteMy Microsoft Sidewinder old joystick slider, shows no noise when assigned to the throttles.
That is beecause it is optical. They are great sticks!

Will

I had a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro back in the day, now available used on the Internet for less than $15. I thought it was really good.
Will /Chicago /USA

Kiteman76

Yeah the Sidewinder I bought years ago for a PC and was surprised to see it worked on my Mac with Aerowinx. Didn't know it used optical sensors, obviously a quality product.

It would be great if the force feedback could be made to work for pitch with Aerowinx!

Hardy Heinlin

PSX can output real-world 744 force feedback values in psi units. But this requires a TCP/IP interface.

Kiteman76

I've just seen your previous thread on this subject Hardy, thank you. Will have a read through. Might be a bit above my head though!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Around the third ice age, I programmed a PS1.3 driver for the GoFlight stuff, including the throttles. They were not steady, I had to gate them through a noise suppressor. This obviously won't get better with time...

Kiteman76

Thanks Jeroen, I had the old PS1.3 version too. Seems the Go Flight noise issue is quite common. Good to know my throttle quadrant is working as expected anyway.

Roddez

Kiteman,

You could try adding a 100nF ceramic capacitor between the signal wire from the pots and ground.  Google this for more specific information.

A capacitor will smooth out the electrical signal, but it will introduce a slight delay.  However for the throttles in PSX and on the 747 this isn't an issue.

Cheers,

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Kiteman76

Thank you Rod that's an idea, will look into it.