News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Cathay 744 RR have the same Auto ignition selector PW

Started by b744erf, Fri, 26 Feb 2021 02:00

b744erf

In PSX we can set up 3 different engines and the Auto ignition selector of the ENG Start panel at overhead will change with the setup.

GE: SINGLE-BOTH
PW: 1-BOTH -2
RR: 1-NORM-2-BOTH

I recently found that the B-HU* and B-HO* from Cathay Pacific Airways, which equip the RR RB211-524H, have the same Auto ignition selector as the PW, 1-BOTH -2. And we can't select this setup in PSX with the RR airframe.

These two videos are from AF-BK a Cathay bird sim with RR. First video 0'6" we can see the setup clearly. And we can find some more pics on line too.

https://youtu.be/yOOjX9N8cUs
https://youtu.be/XagIf1ShyU0

I believed someone already found it or mentioned about it someday before. I just can't find the topic so that post this to confirm. And don't know if we can have this setup in the future.

Regards

Jack

Hardy Heinlin

These videos show a simulator. Some simulators provide the option to change the engine model which will also change the EICAS display accordingly, but it will not change the hardware panels.

Regards,

|-|ardy

b744erf

Thank you for your quick reply, Hardy. I did have the same doubts. But after I found more pics of Cathay 744 cockpit, I believe Cathay RR 744 dose equip this style Eng Ignition Start.

Please check the following pic and zoom to the Eng Start Panel Although it only shows part of the Eng Ignition, you can still know the "2" at the right side which is the same as PW.
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8411747

Hardy Heinlin

I couldn't find a zoom function.

Can you see on this image ...

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/5/48617_1477129691.jpg

... whether the EICAS is PW or RR style?

b744erf

But we know this aircraft is B-HUJ "Selcal AF-EL", which is a 747-467RR version. And we can also see the fire protection bottle discharged lights. It shows there are two bottles for each engine which is a RR version.

I will try to fine more photos.

Thank you Hardy.

:p

Hardy Heinlin

Ah, two bottles, I see.

Well, I don't know what kind of system mix this is. It could be an entire RR ignition system with a PW selector (just without NORM mode) -- or a complete PW ignition system.

The differences between the engine model specific ignition systems are very complex. PSX contains thousands of lines of code to model every electrical component (relays, CBs etc.) within the ignition control circuits. I can't just add the option to replace that single knob. It would destroy the electrical integrity of the entire system. See Aerowinx manual pages 518 thru to 520 to get an idea of the model specific differences (and that's just the tip of the iceberg; it also affects CB panels, malfunction behaviour etc.).

Regards,

|-|ardy

b744erf

Right. It is complicated and not just a easy replacement. Cathay use RB211-524H while others use -524G. Is this the reason? Or , I also found that BA, Quntas, South Africa also use RR but they all comes with Eng AutoStart while Cathay doesn't. Means RR without eng auto start comes without the NORM mode? Are there any more examples prove this?

Hardy Heinlin

Also nice to know: In general, the RR engine provides an auto-relight system in case of flame-outs. Does Cathay's RR not provide this feature?

John H Watson

QuoteI also found that BA, Quntas, South Africa also use RR but they all comes with Eng AutoStart while Cathay doesn't. Means RR without eng auto start comes without the NORM mode? Are there any more examples prove this?

I think Qantas' early 744 RRs came without autostart, but were retrofitted with autostart. This prompted me to look at the British Airways AMM and wiring schematics, I see they also had the Autostart retrofit done and did indeed have the 1-BOTH-2 switches prior to this. I don't have any proper wiring diagrams or photos (of circuit breaker panels) however which may be required for any changes in PSX (even if there was a necessity to do so).