News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

AcarsPrint App for thermal printers

Started by asboyd, Wed, 27 Jan 2021 03:56

asboyd

Hi Guys,
I managed to mess around with java and Hardy's Addon example files and came up with a simple app to allow a POS thermal printer to be used in your cockpit build. My printer uses standard ESC POS commands so I have written it for that type of printer.
You can download version 1.0 at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnprmwpxytlwqjm/AcarsPrintV1_0.zip?dl=0

The zip file contains the app (as a jar file) some ancillary files and it also contains a user guide.

Please let me know if this works for you.
I have not been writing in java for long (maybe 4 or 5 days) so see how you go.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Alex,

thank you for your add-on.

I just tried it on my iMac with Java 12 (which allows class files up to version 56.0). I couldn't load it because version 12 is too low for your add-on. I guess most PSX users have Java 1.8 which is even lower.

My terminal says:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: TestAddPack/AcarsPrint has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 59.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 56.0

Cheers,

|-|ardy

asboyd

OK maybe I can recompile with a different JRE level...
Should be easy enough to do.... I think :)

Cheers,
AlexB

asboyd

OK recompiled with JRE 1.8.... I was using JDK 15.... oops....

The link to V1.1 is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0av9bedbno7btu/acarsprintv1_1.zip?dl=0

Maybe try again... :)
Cheers,
AlexB

asboyd

Tested on a machine with only JRE 8 update 280 on it and all seems OK...

I had to rename the jar file so it is now AcarsPrint.jar again.... when I posted the update link it was AcarsPrintV1_1.jar.....the link is still correct for V1.1 with the correct jar file name... :)

Cheers,
AlexB

Hardy Heinlin

Yep, now it loads. And my printer (A4) appears on the list. I didn't test my printer though, as it's currently disconnected. But I guess it would work. It's just A4 anyway.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

asboyd

The bridge is designed for a thermal and even though you can choose an A4 printer the print spool never gets an end of page so it does not print. I will look into that and see if I can enhance the options...

Cheers,
AlexB

Robert Staudinger

Hi Alex,

it works on a HP Photosmart, except after initial printer start you have to abort the printerfunktion and then it prints  correctly. The app just needs something like LF or similar.

Thanks anyway, regards Robert

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I've seen implementations on aircraft that allow you to just add line feeds using a button, if you want more paper out of the thing. Bzz bzz bzz bzz bzz *rip* got it.

asboyd

For the thermal printer you finish the feed with carriage return line feeds (about 10) then an ESC command for a full cut.
I think for other printers I need to use a Page feed or Document end command.

That would give the correct format for sheet paper printers... I will look into it.

Cheers,
AlexB

simbro

Hi Alex,

I can confirm that the app works perfectly on a "EPSON TM-T20II Receipt" printer...

Thanks for the tool!

Regards
Simon

Ton van Bochove

Hi Alex,

My TM-T88IV thermal printer under Windows 8 works fine. Great tool which saves a lot of paper!
Ton

asboyd

Glad to hear it works for other Thermals... mine is an Aclas thermal made in China which was only sold in Australia, but it uses ESC POS... I guess many POS printers are the same.

Enjoy!

AlexB

speed330

Hi Alex,

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere recently.

I have a Canon Pixma printer which for some reason won't print when I try to print the ACARS ATIS for example, using either AdaptPSX or your app. I can see in the printer queue that something shows up for a split second and then disappears.

The printer works fine over wifi for other tasks and I am running PSX and AdaptPSX or your app all on the same Windows 10 PC. My printer shows up in the printer list in both AdaptPSX and your printer app.

Just wondering if you happen to know if there is any solution to this?

Many thanks,
David

asboyd

Hi David,
I use a Canon Pixma over USB with AdaptPSX. I am not sure WiFi would work correctly. (I have not tried it).

I then bought an 80mm EFTPOS thermal printer in a second hand shop and wrote my ACARS Print app.
It only works with thermal printers that use ESC print commands.

I cannot suggest anything that would work over wifi, sorry.

Cheers,
AlexB

speed330

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your reply.

Everything seems to work ok over Wi-Fi using the printer feature in WidePSX. I will try connect it via USB to see if that makes a difference thanks.

I think I will eventually get one of those type of thermal printers. :)

Many thanks again,

Cheers,
Dave

asboyd

Check out second hand stores.... mine came from a business that, unfortunately, closed due to Covid and bush fires here in Oz...

I also used widePSX for my Canon, but I prefer the thermal as it gives the same hardcopy I would get using PSX simulated paper.....

Cheers,
AlexB

speed330

Thanks Alex I will for sure. :)

Cheers,
Dave

Kurt

Ohh this is just what I need - I have an EPSON TM20iii that I for weeks have been trying to get to print correctly via AdaptPSX and WidePSX. No matter what I do in the printer and paper settings it does not print correctly and I get exactly the issues described in other threads with truncated lines and huge margins.

I really hope this will solve it.

Will report back later :D
Best regards
Kurt

Kurt

And - it just works flawlessly - finally the Epson prints as it should 🙏🙏 thanks Alex.

Would be great if there was an auto connect option - any chances for that?

Thanks 🙏
Best regards
Kurt