News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Nav data for PSX: A new solution

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Sat, 23 Jan 2021 00:40

andrej

Amazing and thank you Hardy. I knew that there will be alternative solution to this.
I am ready to help, if needed.

Best!
Andrej

Eric Volmer

Hardy, I'll be pleased to help!

Mariano

Let's light this candle!

Count me in.

Mariano

zwyx

Step 3 seems interesting - what it might be? With photos? Better to have Navburo than Politburo.

asboyd

If you need photos to show we are not using professionally, then no problems.... I guess a spare bedroom in total disarray will count :)

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Steve Hose

Happy to help Hardy.

Thank you for your tireless efforts.

Cheers, Steve.

Will

QuoteI guess a spare bedroom in total disarray will count :)

In the basement here. Similar disarray, probably.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

So here's the next and final step.

Good morning all,

Aerosoft can provide databases to PSX when two conditions are met:

The first one is an additional license function regarding entertainment usage. As we know, such a license alone is insufficient in the context of PSX; we discussed this with all companies several times in the past ten years. That's why there is now this second condition: A completely new marketing towards entertainment! Away from the professional segment. That's a big step. It hurts me, but it's the only way. I stop promoting PSX to professionals. I'll remove the entire "Professionals" web page and everything referring to "professional". Instead, the new website will represent the existing NON-professional customerbase. When this segment gets visible, lawyers unfamiliar with technical systems will hopefully better understand what this is all about.

I'd like to make a large gallery with sample photos that show the usage of PSX linked with scenery generators in a hobby context. Can you enthusiasts help me? I'm looking for photos of flight deck mockups -- big and small, with real or self-made parts, or with any desktop parts for hobby simmers. The photos should show the PSX instruments along with external scenery screens. In other words, they should show the facts of how PSX is used. Of course, as this is a PSX web site, it would be nice if the pictures put the focus more on the PSX screens than on the external scenery (for which there are other dedicated web sites).

If you support this idea and have something to show, I'd appreciate it if you sent me some photo material I can choose from. You may also include your opinion of the product quality etc. in two text lines or five. I would add that to the related photo. And you may add your nickname or real name. If you maintain a web site about your home cockpit, I can add your link too.

Thank you!

|-|ardy

Email

Steve Hose

This is a BIG step Hardy, taking PSX in a new direction is certainly not without risks.

I am sure you have considered this, but of course none of us wish to see any harm being done to the brilliant work and countless hours you have spent getting PSX where it is today.

THANK YOU for your support of the enthusiast community.

I have sent you a couple of emails.

Regards, Steve.

cagarini

Well Hardy,

that was a HUGE and certainly painful / complex decision, but, as always, you have put your users interest, and comfort, ahead of your own !

From my part, with no sim presently installed, other than PSX, and having long decided to not use external sims because that would require an investment in a better rig, and actually none of what I tried convinced me of any benefits in terms of the type of use I give to PSX other than maybe while taxiing, I could only send a photo of my desktop with a T16000 stick, and PSX running an LPPT approach under bad weather :-) - but I'll try to send it in time anyway ;-)

THANK YOU for your SUPPORT !

All the Best !

Panos Bilios

Hi Hardy,

A big thank you for all your continued support toward us
enthusiasts.
I too use PSX on a single pc at home and I am very happy with that.
I can send you some photos with different cockpit  layouts , in different
flight phases.

Thank you
all the best
Panos

Alec246

Amazing news! While I can understand how tough it must have been for Hardy to take this decision on such a Complete and Realistic Simulator that is perfectly capable of serving as a Professional Training System, this is a decision that will guarantee PSX doesn't end up in the same parking lot as so many other softwares we as enthusiasts can only dream of using because of costs that only million dollar companies could afford to maintain!

Unfortunately I don't have any HomeCockpit to make the picture for the Website cover!
Alexis Mefano

Avi

WOW,

I sense your sadness on an end of an era that started 30 years ago (if not earlier).

Cheers,

Avi Adin
LLBG

Will

QuotePSX linked with scenery generators

So you're not interested in photos of a PSX stand-alone setup with a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and a large monitor on a table in my basement? That seems to say "hobby pilot" to me, but I have no scenery generator. I suppose I could tape a photo of some clouds to the top of my monitor...
Will /Chicago /USA

Mariano

Same here, I run PSX stand-alone, mostly in hotel rooms on a Windows Surface PC.

I do have a small setup at home, but it is also stand-alone.

Should pictures of either of these help, I will gladly uplink them.

Thank you and best regards,

Mariano

CWcwo

Hardy,

I thank you for your hard decision to take this step.  I too am one of those using a stand-alone computer, stick, mouse and keyboard without scenery generator.  I am learning a lot.  I am 88 and live is a senior living facility. PSX is a good tool for one like me.  I still have my good memory and cognitive skills.  I use PSX almost every day to exercise these along with the add-ons provided by you and other PSX users.  Situations and routes may be as simple or complex as you desire for a given day.  You may use this information as it is a non-professional use much as puzzles and mental games are for helping preserve senior metal acuity.

Charles

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

the photos should show the home cockpits of "hobby pilots". The background is: Microsoft, for example, call their sim a game. It helps when PSX is shown within this game context. However, some photos of PSX stand-alone may be added as well. But the user of the displayed PSX shouldn't be an active airline pilot or researcher.

Charles, wow, I have a lot of respect for you, Sir.
I remember your name from the old PS1 forum. I will certainly add your comment to the gallery. Thank you! Do you also have a little photo of your PSX desk? It's not necessary but it would be nice.

Regards,

|-|ardy

evaamo

Hardy,

I don't have photos of setup because it's basically non-existent, however, I have published two youtube videos of PSX connected to X-Plane. Will this help? In any case, here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiho-jWwYSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqWAv1gkn4

-E
Enrique Vaamonde

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you, Enrique. I'll add your YouTube links ...

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Here's a comparison of the database sizes:

However, not only the providers make the difference but the cycle dates too make a difference. E.g. the number of marker beacons certainly decreases in the recent Navblue databases as well.

The Aerosoft database includes more gates in the USA anyway.

|-|