News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Configuration

Started by Ton van Bochove, Sat, 9 Jan 2021 12:57

Ton van Bochove

I am considering buying the Hotas Warthog ( joystick and throttle)  I scanned the forum but cannot find the answer to the next question:

Are the switches, wheels, buttons of the Hotas suitable for the primary functions like flaps up/down, tiller, TOGA, Reverser, gear up/down etc.? 
Ton

Bastien

Hi,
I have the Warthog HOTAS and use it with PSX
you can bind all switch and axes with PSX functions without any difficulties
Best regards.
Bastien

Ton van Bochove

Thanks Bastien! Better to hear it from the experienced user: Do you have some tips where I definitely should configure some of the items I mentioned?
Ton

Bastien

here a example of axes assignment

as, you can see, all available switches have an entry and can be set

Ton van Bochove

Thanks! You do not use much of the buttons or am I wrong?
Ton

Will

I have the throttle and stick, and I think they're a great combination for PSX. As Bastien says, you can map any button or axis to anything in PSX.

You can also map any button to a keypress using an add-on like JoyToKey, which opens up more options for assigning buttons. (Although this of course is not specific to the Warthog.)

I assigned every button the Joystick to various actions, and a few buttons on the throttle. My goal was that I wanted as many actions as possible to be at my fingertips on the HOTAS when hand flying for takeoff and landing. I didn't want to have to use the mouse for anything in a critical phase of flight.
Will /Chicago /USA

Ton van Bochove

Sounds promising Will! And for the mapping you use TARGET or PSX or both?
Ton

Bastien

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Sat,  9 Jan 2021 16:48
Sounds promising Will! And for the mapping you use TARGET or PSX or both?

Yes you can either affect directly in PSX or via the TARGET software.
The simplest to me is directly in PSX

Bastien

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Sat,  9 Jan 2021 14:24
Thanks! You do not use much of the buttons or am I wrong?

You're right ! as I've modified my usb devices order on the computer, I've to remap all functions in PSX :/

Hardy Heinlin

I have the stick and use every button (except for the hat switch directions northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest -- because those always touch another 90° direction before they hit their final two contacts).

This is my USB setting in Aerowinx/Preferences/Default.pref:

USB=11;10;7;8;9;12;1;21;2;20;5;40;24;39;13;19;14;18;24;0;15;0;28;0;16;0;29;a-1000b0c1000d0e2;a-1000b0c1000d0e1;

23 buttons under a single fist!

|-|

Ton van Bochove

Thanks guys! It is delivered tomorrow!
Ton

Will

I don't use TARGET.

I map all the axes, and a small number of buttons, in PSX. I map every other HOTAS button to a keypress through JoyToKey.

Thinking of joystick buttons and keypresses... if any networker or add-on developer is looking for a task, lol...

It would be neat to have an assistant that would let you keep your hands on the HOTAS while you enter the runway for takeoff, without having to use the mouse. I'm thinking of pressing a HOTAS button (or a keyboard key that could be mapped to a HOTAS button) that activates a sequence similar to Hardy's PNF duties... Namely, the assistant would turn on the landing lights and turn off the packs so you could do a mouse-less takeoff.

I say "assistant" because some operators may assign these jobs to the F/O, while other operators may assign them to PNF duties? I don't know.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We are approaching the point when somebody suggests voice recognition to respond to PF callouts...

asboyd

Sounds like a great idea.... When will you have it ready Hoppie????

:P

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Will on Tue, 12 Jan 2021 22:26
I don't use TARGET.

I map all the axes, and a small number of buttons, in PSX. I map every other HOTAS button to a keypress through JoyToKey.

Thinking of joystick buttons and keypresses... if any networker or add-on developer is looking for a task, lol...

It would be neat to have an assistant that would let you keep your hands on the HOTAS while you enter the runway for takeoff, without having to use the mouse. I'm thinking of pressing a HOTAS button (or a keyboard key that could be mapped to a HOTAS button) that activates a sequence similar to Hardy's PNF duties... Namely, the assistant would turn on the landing lights and turn off the packs so you could do a mouse-less takeoff.

I say "assistant" because some operators may assign these jobs to the F/O, while other operators may assign them to PNF duties? I don't know.

Busy in the process of key mapping with joytokey (thanks Will) I was wondering if it is possible that e.g. the lights can get their own key so that it can be mapped on a HOTAS or Joystick ( something for the "new items" list, Hardy?)
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:30
I was wondering if it is possible that e.g. the lights can get their own key so that it can be mapped on a HOTAS or Joystick ( something for the "new items" list, Hardy?)

Negative, sorry :-) The next would be fuel pumps and valves, jettison, packs, aft cargo heat, autobrakes, TCAS ABV/BLO, MCP ALT, ND range, VNAV, LNAV and so on and on and on, hundreds of switches -- they can all be accessed, but not by USB. All can be accessed by the TCP/IP network; that's the most reliable technology, and that's the design goal of PSX.

And all keyboard keys are already assigned to the most essential controls.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Ton van Bochove

Thanks for the explanation ...it is bit more complicated than I thought!
Ton