News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

BACARS menu not appearing on center CDU

Started by Pesach, Wed, 6 Jan 2021 05:19

Pesach

Hi All -

First, a Disclaimer: I am running PSX on MacBook (Big Sur), and BACARS on Mac via Crossover (Wine), which I assume is an unusual and different setup from running BACARS on a true Windows machine.

I have followed the BACARS/simfest/dispatch/simbrief manual and videos, registered and produced a flightplan and route file for PSX, but then I get stumped at the step when you enter the flightdeck, and need to select ACARS in the center CDU. I keep getting "ACARS <ACT>", and nothing happens when I click on L2 button. BACARS appears to be running and connected. When I click on "ACAS: Idle" button in BACARS, I am able to send messages to PSX printer. What am I missing?

Center CDU:

BACARS:

-Pesach (KJFK)

Edit: Image width too big. Changed the plain {img} tag to {img width=500}

asboyd

Pesach,
Have you gone into ACARS?
I do not have a BACARS menu but once you select ACARS the "new" pages show up...

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Pesach

Hi Alex -

Yes. What you see on the screenshot is what I see after clicking "ACARS". It just sits there. No further menus or data on the screen.

-Pesach

JohnH

So Bacars is on another computer? If so you need to add the I.P. adress of the PSX computer in the BACARS connection screen.

John

Pesach

Hi John -

Bacars is on the same computer, and can connect via 127.0.0.1 on port 10747 (see screenshot, where it is successfully connected and green). On PSX network config, I see BACARS connected as client 1. And I can also send messages from Bacars to the flightdeck printer. So I believe Bacars is connected correctly. The issue is that, with Bacars connected, when I go to center CDU and try and click on ACARS, I do not get the ACARS menu. It just stays with:

MENU

< ACARS <ACT>

as is shown in the screenshot. In fact, I can't get out of that state in the center CDU until I disconnect Bacars.

Hope this helps to clarify the problem.

Thanks,
-Pesach (KJFK)

asboyd

Please see my attached img...

This shows BACARS running, the initial screen on the centre CDU and the menu I get when I press the ACARS button. Sounds like your CDU is locking up for some reason...

AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Pesach

Hi Alex -

Indeed. It feels like something is locking up. Perhaps someone knows of diagnostics or logs that I can look for and gather to help troubleshoot the issue?

-Pesach (KJFK)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

What I know about how the add-on MCDU system works, is that a MCDU menu item is not removed if/when the client disconnects. You end up with an inert menu item. So look at the side that would respond to this menu, not at PSX.

Hoppie

Gary Oliver

I can only assume this is due to running BACARS on wine. This is not something I can support, nor have I seen the issue when running on windows.  Perhaps try running on parallels which is executing on a real windows OS?

Cheers
Gary

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed,  6 Jan 2021 23:16
What I know about how the add-on MCDU system works, is that a MCDU menu item is not removed if/when the client disconnects.

On the PSX CDU, the menu item blanks when the add-on disconnects. I just retested it with Avi's CMC add-on.

However, there's one intentional exception: If the disconnecting add-on is an ACARS, the PSX internal ACARS will take over and thus the <ACARS item in 2L will remain displayed so that you can select the PSX ACARS.

If you push the <ACARS key and the PSX ACARS doesn't appear, the add-on ACARS is still connected, but doesn't provide page text or doesn't receive keypress events.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

My own testing did not confirm this -- but a) my memory is bad and b) I may have done it differently. I'll get back to you on it.

Hoppie

Pesach

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu,  7 Jan 2021 02:29
If you push the <ACARS key and the PSX ACARS doesn't appear, the add-on ACARS is still connected, but doesn't provide page text or doesn't receive keypress events.

This is what I am experiencing.

-Pesach (KJFK)

Pesach

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Thu,  7 Jan 2021 01:13
I can only assume this is due to running BACARS on wine. This is not something I can support, nor have I seen the issue when running on windows.  Perhaps try running on parallels which is executing on a real windows OS?

Yes - it is running on crossover, which is wine. I will look into possibly using parallels at some point, but I can't afford that right now (parallels license + windows license), so I will continue investigating my current setup.

-Pesach (KJFK)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I can replicate this behaviour:

* Connect an add-on.
* Have the add-on create a new CDU menu (I do it on all three).
* Rip the add-on out of the operating system. Do not allow it to gracefully disconnect by sending Exit or deregister the prompts; just kill the process.
* All prompts stay up on all CDUs but do no longer work. Pushing them leads to <ACT> and no further display change.
* The CDU that is in the zombie mode seems unresponsive, until you select a different subsystem through MENU or a FMC function key.
* Exactly the same effect is obtained by using the PSX Disconnect button to rip the client connection out.
* Only if the client nicely undoes its changes before hanging up the line, it will work as expected. The client has a few milliseconds after it receives "exit" from the server to do this (great feature).

Do I miss something?

Hoppie

CHEDHKG

Good morning Pesach,

Did you manage to solve your BACARS issue ? I am having exactly the same problem and the same symptoms. Irresponsive CDU menu and  able to send messages to PSX printer via the BACARS ACARS: Idle" button.

Thanks

-Stephan (VHHH)