News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX - WidePsx - FS2020 - vPilot using 2 Computers

Started by JohnH, Sun, 3 Jan 2021 20:04

JohnH

I am thinking about venturing into the world of Vatsim.

My setup is as follows.

PC!
Windows 10
PSX v 10.129
Bacars
WidePsx

PC2
Windows 10
FS2020
vPilot

I tried just using PC2 alone to test vPilot and I was able to connect and listen to the ATC directions

Next step was to load up PSX on PC1 and FS2020 and vPilot on PC2. I then connected PSX to FS2020 using WidePsx and that worked ok.

I then started vPilot and was able to change the radio freq on the vPilot display using PSX audio panel controls.

However I do not get and sound from vPilot on PC2? Do I need to configure something else on PC1 with PSX?

Thanks John

funkyhut

In no way a criticism John, but given that PSX has such a small demand profile, why are you not running everything on one pc? That way vPilot works fine. But maybe I'm missing something here.
Thanks.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

JohnH

Thanks for the reply, I was just wanting to have PSX on one computer in its full screen glory and FS2020 on the other computer either in external view or cockpit view. Which works very well with WidePsx, but wanted to add Vatsim somehow? Maybe not possible??

John

funkyhut

Hi John,
Maybe this will help?
https://youtu.be/Xl6EmOre8Pk

How it's all set up:
MSFS is running full screen in windowed mode so that the taskbar is available in case PSX gets covered by MSFS.

An interesting development might be to have a frame in the PSX layout covering MSFS completely and using only the raw PSX windshield view full screen. Frame 1-7 for the cockpit / MSFS views, Frame 8 for the raw PSX view and Frame 9 for the small PFC, ND & Upper EICAS view, or whatever you need to fly the airplane. I have the PSX views on a joystick hat switch. See next paragraph.

I have the MSFS END and INSERT commands on the MENU and VIEW buttons on an Xbox Controller. So, with PSX always in focus, pressing NUM PAD 9 and Xbox Controller VIEW simultaneously give the small PFD etc. and the DRONE view of MSFS. Then pressing NUM PAD 1 and the Xbox Controller VIEW button simultaneously goes back the PSX / MSFS cockpit view. Similarly with the Xbox Controller MENU key to go to the MSFS EXTERNAL CAMERA view. In both cases the MSFS DRONE and EXTERNAL views are controlled by the Xbox Controller LEFT and RIGHT STICK hat switches.

Before you start it's a good idea to move the DRONE view on top of the aircraft and to lock it in the MSFS camera menu. Also set the zoom level to 80% in both the EXTERNAL and DRONE cameras. If you do this the resulting outside views are much smoother and simpler to manipulate.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Martin Baker

Quote from: JohnH on Sun,  3 Jan 2021 23:15
Thanks for the reply, I was just wanting to have PSX on one computer in its full screen glory and FS2020 on the other computer either in external view or cockpit view. Which works very well with WidePsx, but wanted to add Vatsim somehow? Maybe not possible??

Hi John. I'm no expert, but reading your post it seems odd that the audio on vpilot worked until PSX was connected, even if it was on the other PC. Have you checked the audio settings in vPilot to see if the output is correctly selected?

Also, it may be worth having a look at Audio for Vatsim, which allows you to use both radios in PSX - I find it really useful. (To do this you have to start vPilot with the command -novoice.)

All best,

Martin

JohnH

Thanks kindly for the detailed instructions. I am still playing with the 2 computer setup, but if that is unsuccessful I will certainly give your setup a try.

John

Quote from: funkyhut on Sun,  3 Jan 2021 23:19
Hi John,
Maybe this will help?
https://youtu.be/Xl6EmOre8Pk

How it's all set up:
MSFS is running full screen in windowed mode so that the taskbar is available in case PSX gets covered by MSFS.

An interesting development might be to have a frame in the PSX layout covering MSFS completely and using only the raw PSX windshield view full screen. Frame 1-7 for the cockpit / MSFS views, Frame 8 for the raw PSX view and Frame 9 for the small PFC, ND & Upper EICAS view, or whatever you need to fly the airplane. I have the PSX views on a joystick hat switch. See next paragraph.

I have the MSFS END and INSERT commands on the MENU and VIEW buttons on an Xbox Controller. So, with PSX always in focus, pressing NUM PAD 9 and Xbox Controller VIEW simultaneously give the small PFD etc. and the DRONE view of MSFS. Then pressing NUM PAD 1 and the Xbox Controller VIEW button simultaneously goes back the PSX / MSFS cockpit view. Similarly with the Xbox Controller MENU key to go to the MSFS EXTERNAL CAMERA view. In both cases the MSFS DRONE and EXTERNAL views are controlled by the Xbox Controller LEFT and RIGHT STICK hat switches.

Before you start it's a good idea to move the DRONE view on top of the aircraft and to lock it in the MSFS camera menu. Also set the zoom level to 80% in both the EXTERNAL and DRONE cameras. If you do this the resulting outside views are much smoother and simpler to manipulate.

JohnH

Hi Martin,

Yes I have the audio setup ok in vPilot. I checked into Audio for Vatsim and it says it is now included with the most recent version of vPilot? Are you using a 2 PC setup? Do I need to have vPilot installed on both computers?

John

I managed to get it working with 2 computers. I selected vPilot remote (no voice) on the PSX computer. Then selected vPilot Host (with voice) on the FS2020 computer. Looks like you can also reverse the process depending on which PC you want the vPilot voice on!

Thanks for your suggestions, John

Quote from: Martin Baker on Mon,  4 Jan 2021 09:45
Quote from: JohnH on Sun,  3 Jan 2021 23:15

Hi John. I'm no expert, but reading your post it seems odd that the audio on vpilot worked until PSX was connected, even if it was on the other PC. Have you checked the audio settings in vPilot to see if the output is correctly selected?

Also, it may be worth having a look at Audio for Vatsim, which allows you to use both radios in PSX - I find it really useful. (To do this you have to start vPilot with the command -novoice.)

All best,

Martin

Martin Baker

That's great news, John.

Although I use 4 computers in my system, I have PSX server, P3D and vPilot on the same machine. I think the -novoice command was added (thanks to Gary) to enable the use of AfV and vPilot on the same PC.

Anyway, glad you've found the solution.

V best,

M

Victor126

hi guys i wanted to ask you how did you manage to connect pc 1 psx , pc 2 msfs 2020 with widepsx i tried but i couldn't....Thank you