News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FDS CDU Lights and Dimming issue

Started by JP59, Sat, 26 Dec 2020 08:41

JP59

Hello,

I received two CDU units from FDS. They are the new Ethernet units. According with the user manual I am using the « InterfaceIT Module Manager » to interface the CDUs. They are well recognized and configured as Left and Right CDUs. When I run the Testing module in the Module Manager, everything is working perfectly (keyboard keys are recognized, and all the light are working on both units).

The issue comes when I am using the units with PSX. Of course I select the « Aerowinx PSX » module in the Module Manager. The keyboard keys are working well (I can see PSX reacting to the physical keyboard hits). However, none of the 5 CDU lights are working on both units. For example, if the PSX « EXEC » light comes on, the physical CDU light remains off. I also noticed the +/- BRT keys of the CDU are not sending the dimming command to PSX.

I ran a quick test using the « old » CDU interface software, thinking I was maybe not using the right one. The CDUs are not recognized.

Am I doing something wrong ? I know some people here are using the new units. Some help would be very appreciated.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

(not answering your question, sorry...)

Are these CDUs, as seen from your PC, essentially very nicely modeled keyboards with a small monitor? Do they need to be connected as a monitor (using HDMI), with the Ethernet a replacement for the standard USB keyboard cable (so it can drive the LEDs much better)?

Hoppie

jb747

I don't have the new CDUs and the old version used a POT to adjust the screen brightness.  I assume the rocker switch on the new units does the same thing.  A couple of questions...

If you press the +/- brightness switch does dimming occur on the PSX screen, even though the physical CDU is not reflecting the change?  Does press and hold cause a change versus continuous short press and release actions?

The keypad brightness is controlled by the Aisle Stand Panel Light dual POT on the overhead, not the +/- BRT switch.  If you rotate the POT on the overhead do the key legends on the physical CDUs dim and brighten?

Cheers,

Jon

JP59

Hello Jon and Jeroen,

@Jon : The answers are NO for all your questions. Still no lights synchronization and no screen dimming (using the physical CDU's BRT buttons).

@Jeroen : Yes the screen is connected using an HDMI cable. There is a separate Ethernet cable for data, a 12V power supply and a 5V keyboard backlight feed. Everything is connected.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Last question... does the CDU software generate its own display or do you need to run an extra copy of PSX for that, and adjust its output to the extra monitor to be precisely the right cutout?

I'm always on the lookout for no-sim standalone CDU hardware that can be converted into a cheap desktop/bench alternative for true $$$ CDUs...

JP59

No Jeroen it needs a copy of PSX sized to fit the 800x600 built-in screen. I have no issue with the screens. The issue lies between PSX and the physical CDUs. Only the physical keyboard key strokes are sent to PSX. No reverse communication (PSX lights are not sent to the physical units (all 5 lights remain "dead").

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

After reading the manual (I don't have one of these CDUs), a few things become clear.

1. As said above, the complete monitor is a stand-alone item. It's just a 800x600 monitor with a HDMI input, that happens to be powered by the 12V input but for the rest has no connection to any control, especially not the dimmer. 100% of this monitor needs to be driven by the connected PC, on which it will show up as just another monitor.

2. All keys, including the dimmer rocker, send their keystrokes over TCP to the connected computer via Ethernet. This probably is really easy to map to PSX or anything else.

3. The keypad backlight is independently controlled by external hardware. You can either switch it permanently on, or feed it pulse width modulated dimmed "digital" 5V, or feed it linearly dimmed analog 0..5V. PSX by itself obviously won't do this, you need some extra interface card.

4. The thing comes up with a fixed IP address (192.168.1.200) until it receives a response to its DHCP request.

All together, I would characterize it as a well-made disguise for a keyboard and a monitor, suitable for direct insertion in a sim or placing it on a desktop. It always requires a computer to do anything serious. However, a Raspberry Pi kind of computer (with software that does not really exist today but is not difficult to craft) would be sufficient to make it work 100% as a fully stand-alone plugin device to PSX or, with a few extra components, as a very convincing real MCDU simulator using ARINC 429/739A.

Interesting project.

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

just a guess: I had troubles with connecting the old version CDU and it was finished after I started the CDU as the First item after PSX
Ton

JP59

Hello,

@Ton : tested a lot of scenarios without success

@Hoppie : 1 is exact and was understood. 2 Those units are brand new series of CDUs, using a new interfacing software. The keypad strokes are correctly sent to PSX, so it confirms there is a communication between the units and PSX. However, the dimming +/- keys commands are not sent to PSX (the PSX CDU screens brightness remains unchanged), and the 5 unit lights are not synchronized (if a PSX CDU light comes up, the physical unit's light remains off). 3 is exact. 4 also (My DHCP server is assigning static 192.168.1.23 and .24 to the units and they are well recognized with these IP addresses in the interfacing software).

Still stuck here. Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

Brent

Jean-Philippe, we just identified an issue with the LED's on the CDU not working.  A fix is being worked on and will be released later tonight.  As for the brightness, that functionality was not added in the original release, however we are looking at adding this functionality it in same fix for the LED's.
Brent

Brent

The LED issues have been resolved (our apologies for missing this) and we added the bright -/+ control. You can download the 1.2.0 version from https://www.tekworx.com/get_download.php?download=interfaceIT_Module_Manager_v1.2.0.zip
Brent

Jetcos

Just tested and all working. LED's and screen dimming.

Thanks Brent!

JP59

Hello,

I downloaded the new version of the management software and I can confirm that the lights and screen dimming keys are now working. Thanks to Steve and the FDS team for the quick aftermarket support.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe