News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Is PSX Java compatible with Apple M1 silicon processor?

Started by Gilad, Tue, 1 Dec 2020 12:42

Gilad

Thank you very much Hardy.

Question for you.

Do you know whether the PSX Java applet is/would be compatible with the new apple M1 silicon processor?

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Gilad - CAL Cargo on Tue,  1 Dec 2020 12:42
Do you know whether the PSX Java applet is/would be compatible with the new apple M1 silicon processor?

I have no experience with the M1, but the actual question is if the computer that contains the M1 (or any other processor) can run Java. If the computer works with OSX as usual, it certainly can run Java as well.

|-|ardy

Gilad

Hi  Hardy,

Just to update you, Java VER 8 update 271, when i load the aerowinxstart.jar it does nothing. I assume there is some sort of compatibility issues with the new silicon processor.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the upcoming Big Sur OSX update.

Thanks.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is more likely that the Java is not properly installed; "nothing" usually means "did not even try." I think you may have more luck starting it all from a command line?

Gilad

So, using Azul JDK I was able to get the aerowinxstart.jar to respond, but then I get a small window saying double click aerowinxstart.jar to start the simulator. The only thing that does load all the way is the aerowinxnetstart.jar.

Any ideas?

Hardy Heinlin

So your AerowinxNetStart.jar starts multiple PSX instances successfully without the yellow hint
-- while your AerowinxStart.jar does show the yellow hint?

That's unusual. AerowinxNetStart.jar contains the same code as AerowinxStart.jar, the only difference being the amount of starts.

The yellow hint usually occurs when the audio or USB interfaces are not found or when the reserved memory is too small. That may happen when the user starts with the raw Aerowinx.jar as it doesn't contain the required start parameters regarding the "Interface" folder and the required memory.

So if you get the yellow hint by AerowinxStart.jar, I would expect you also get it by AerowinxNetStart.jar.

Are you sure you're testing both methods within exactly the same Aerowinx folder?

|-|ardy

bakki

Hi,

Just for info.
I have no problems with PSX on my Apple mini M1, using Java V. 8 278.
All works,

Could be Security problems, as I remember I had say yes to let the Javalauncher run.

/Kim 

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Kim,

is your "Aerowinx" folder in the Mac's "Applications" folder or on the "Desktop"?

|-|ardy

bakki

No on a separate drive conn. to Mac mini M1.

Could try to install Aerowinx folder on desktop/apps folder just to see if I get any problems.   

/Kim

Guy13

Mac Mini M1 PSX runs great.

PSX About/Quit
This Computer is using:
Java Runtime Environment version:   15.0.1
Java Runtime Environment vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JVM specification version:   15
JVM specification vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JVM specification name:   Java Virtual Machine Specification
JVM version:   15.0.1+9-18
JVM vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JRE specification version:   15
JRE specification vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JRE specification name:   Java Platform API Specification
Java class format version number:   59.0
JIT compiler to use:   null
Maximum memory reserved for JVM:   500 MB
Threads:   ABCDEF

Gilad

Thanks Guy.

Did you install Zulu JDK or anything?

What version of Java are you using?

Thanks

Hardy Heinlin

Gilad

That is strange.

I just downloaded it. (No Arm version available for OSX), installed and when I click on aerowinxstart.jar the icon flashes once for the click and nothing else happens.

The ZULU JDK took me the furthest to actually see it start to load and give me the yellow window I mentioned before.

Gilad

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 17 Dec 2020 16:43
So your AerowinxNetStart.jar starts multiple PSX instances successfully without the yellow hint
-- while your AerowinxStart.jar does show the yellow hint?

That's unusual. AerowinxNetStart.jar contains the same code as AerowinxStart.jar, the only difference being the amount of starts.

The yellow hint usually occurs when the audio or USB interfaces are not found or when the reserved memory is too small. That may happen when the user starts with the raw Aerowinx.jar as it doesn't contain the required start parameters regarding the "Interface" folder and the required memory.

So if you get the yellow hint by AerowinxStart.jar, I would expect you also get it by AerowinxNetStart.jar.

Are you sure you're testing both methods within exactly the same Aerowinx folder?

|-|ardy

Hello Hardy,

Missed your question there.

Yes, sir. Both are in the same aerowinx folder.

Hardy Heinlin

If you use OS X Catalina or Big Sur, please move your Aerowinx folder to the Mac's "Applications" folder and start PSX there.

|-|ardy

Gilad

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Fri,  1 Jan 2021 17:10
If you use OS X Catalina or Big Sur, please move your Aerowinx folder to the Mac's "Applications" folder and start PSX there.

|-|ardy

I was skeptic but moving it to the applications folder actually worked!!

So to conclude, no need any special ARM SDKs, just the regular Mac OS (intel version) on the m1 and it works flawlessly.

Thank you very much Hardy!

andmiz

Hi Team

I'm having issues getting it to load on M1.  I've got the Java JDK and also the Zulu JDK but nothing is helping PSX to load.  I don't get any messages or indications that anything has happened when I try to open AerowinxStart.

Is there a step I have missed?   I think it's the similar issue to Gilad, and even with the Aerowinx folder in my Applications folder, it's not working.