News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX aural checklist pointer logic

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Thu, 10 Dec 2020 12:25

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

I just got a suggestion (thanks, Andmiz) regarding the PSX checklist pointer logic: When starting a go-around, the pointer should automatically jump back to the AFTER TAKEOFF checklist.

This is inspiring me to implement some more automatic jumps. For example:

• Jump to AFTER START when the engines are running while the pointer is on a previous checklist.

• Jump to BEFORE TAKEOFF when a rejected takeoff is detected. *

What do you think?

Regards,

|-|ardy

* Actually, this just requires a hit on the R key. That will trigger the call "BEFORE TAKEOFF checklist". So here's the old question again: Is so much automation useful or confusing?

18hazelwood

Hi Hardy,

I think it would be great to be automated in some way, I am forever running through the checklist to get to the right one.

I would find it most useful, especially when making a video clip and you lose where you are ... skipping back through the menu`s comes out on the recording.

positive idea from my point of view.

Maybe a checkbox for automation on or off? just a thought ... I am no programmer..

18hazelwood.

Cbf

Hi Hardy,
Good idea.
When I perform 1500Ft training patterns, I only do landing C/L. I just press R key at each pattern.
Regards

vito

Great idea, yes !

best regards
vito

Hardy Heinlin

Good morning,

now I have thought about all details and this is my conclusion:

The computer can't read the user's mind. It can only read the aircraft status. And that status is not always a reliable trigger for a checklist autoselection because the checklist's very purpose is to check whether everything is correct.

This logical problem leads to the fact, that the checklist autoselection can work for just a few events, not for the entire mission.

Such a partial autoselection would make the simulation confusing. The user needed to learn all exceptions. Otherwise, the F and R keys might trigger calls that the user wouldn't expect. There would always be the question: Is the next step automatic or not?

So I decided to implement just one autoselection: That for the go-around case.

(The reset for touch-and-go circuits and for rejected takeoffs require just one hit on the R key anyway.)

Despite the above logical problem, the sim also had to detect the purpose of each checklist text line. It's really just a text without any software function. And every airline uses a different text and sometimes even a different amount of checklists. If I remember correctly, Lufthansa didn't even use an "after-takeoff" checklist (maybe they use it now).

To detect the airline specific "after-takeoff" checklist starting point, the sim needs to search for the following text fragments in capitals:

"AFTER TAKEOFF"
"AFTER TAKE-OFF"
"CLIMB"

If there are any further variations of the "after-takeoff" checklist title in your customized PSX pilot files, please let me know.

Regards,

|-|ardy

andmiz

Holger Wende

Hi,

For some unknown reason I never became familiar using the R and V keys for the checklists, presumably just because I don't use the keys regularly :(
Instead I prefer to read through the appropriate checklist on the instructor Human->Pilot page.

I miss a "visual" feedback which checklist is currently active, so I avoid toggeling through the checklist titles.

Could it be an option to activate a specific checklist e.g. by clicking a checklist on the instructor page?

Best regards and all the best for 2021 to you all!

Holger

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Holger,

such an option is not so easily possible as the titles and their positions are airline specific.

There are not that many titles; I think if I hit the R key a few times, I get the desired title faster than by scrolling and watching the list panel with the mouse ...

Did you know that you can also assign the R and V key functions to joystick buttons?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

P.S.: You need not wait until each title is completely spoken. A hit on the R key interrupts the speaker promptly. You just need to hear the start of a title: Tax... After sta... Befo... Prep... Shutd... -- there we are.

Holger Wende

Thanks for the suggestion, Hardy  :)

I guess I just need to use the checklists regularly, then it should work well.
Well, that's a new goal for the year :-)

Best regards, Holger

Hardy Heinlin

The autoreset of the After Takeoff checklist is now available in PSX update 10.130. See item 130.04:

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

|-|ardy