News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Simulate a failure

Started by 18hazelwood, Sat, 5 Dec 2020 11:43

18hazelwood

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a particular situation and think I'm missing something.
2 failures on the same flight, severe hydraulic leak on system 4 and also a Right Wing gear failure on landing as well.

1. "Severe" hydraulic leak 600 feet after take-off on N0 4 system.- - this is fine and all working etc. Climb to a flight level and deal with the QRH no worries. i.e. both pump and engine pump off for N0 4 hydraulics

Back to the instructor station and apply the second failure for landing...

2. Next failure before landing land with "R WING" gear failed in the UP position i.e. no down. But when I active this failure on the instructor panel "Severe" Gear Disagree for Right Wing, ...when the lever is lowered for landing , it drops and goes green with the rest of the gear in the eicas display.

Should it stay white and up? in the eicas display?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hardy Heinlin

Hello,

I can't reproduce the problem you're describing, or I misunderstood it.

I did this:

1. Load "Basic 023 - ILS capture.situ"
2. Activate "Gear disagree - wing R" - Severe
3. Put the gear lever to DOWN
4. Wait 35 seconds
5. Upper EICAS shows 4 green and 1 white (wing R up)

Regards,

|-|ardy

18hazelwood

Hi Hardy,

I don't explain things very well sometimes...

I am trying to simulate a situation like what happened on Vs43 in December 2014.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/172554

Basically on take off all hydraulic system on N04 was lost.... And aircraft returned to EGKK after dumpling fuel only to find the right wing gear failed to deploy... I guess it was stuck due to some damage during the retraction..

18hazelwood

Avi

With no HYD #4, both wing gears should stay UP. Did you press the ALTN gear switch?
If I remember correctly, the gear up malfunctions is for normal operation (using the lever), they will come down with the ALTN switches.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

18hazelwood

Hello,

Thanks for the reply

Yes I did use the ALTN to drop the gear and both left and right deployed.... Even with the right wing severe activated in the instructor station.... This is my problem... I would like the right to stay up... In the simulation... To simulate what really happened on flight Vs43

18hazelwood

18hazelwood

I have made a short clip to demonstrate what I am seeing.

https://youtu.be/omkvskeJ1fM

18hazelwood

many thanks...

Avi

As I said,
The malfunction is to prevent the gear to extend during normal operation. When you use the ALTN switch, you release the uplocks electrically and both gear will extend (free fall).

To get what you want, pull out CB C30 on P6-4 (ALT LG EXT WING R) and the right wing gear won't extend even electrically.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

18hazelwood

Hello Avi,

Thank you so much, Achieved :-)..... following what you said...

I really appreciate the help, thank you.

A very happy 18hazelwood :-)

Will

And how was the subsequent landing? ;-)
Will /Chicago /USA

18hazelwood

Will

Good video. What do you do to remove the frames between the PSX window and the MSFS window?
Will /Chicago /USA

18hazelwood

Thanks Will
I just drag the two close together really...hair line between them / split screen so to speak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU6ChHNlMY&t=297s

This might help answer your question...

18hazelwood

Will

Aha, that's pretty easy. Thanks.
Will /Chicago /USA

funkyhut

Thanks for a great video @18hazelwood.
In the actual flight the crew dumped fuel to the minimum before landing. Given that it was the right wing gear which was up, would an option have been to pump fuel into the left tanks to counter balance the weight?
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Britjet

You can't pump fuel from one tank to another. This is a common misconception. You can only deliberately unbalance them by not using fuel from a tank.
As for landing as such, with minimum fuel any weight imbalance would be almost negligible, and would potentially cause further problems in the event of a go-around.
HTH
Peter

funkyhut

Thanks for that Peter.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.