News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX doesn't run on Macbook Pro Mac OS Catalina

Started by WillB744, Tue, 3 Nov 2020 17:37

WillB744

Hi,

I have a Macbook pro retina 13" (end of 2012) with MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

I bought yesterday on line PSX and I downloaded the file Aerowinx.

I downloaded as well Java 8 update 271 and I installed it on the Macbook.

In the Aerowinx file, when I doubled-click on the AerowinxStart.jar, nothing happened so I right-clicked AerowinxStart.jar, clicked "Open With", then "Jar Launcher" but nothing happened as well.,

I restarted the computer, unistalled the java and installed it again but nothing works.

Would anybody know what I should do to make it work?

Thank you very much :))

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

maybe PSX doesn't get enough RAM memory. PSX requires 4 GB RAM.

How much RAM does your 2012 Macbook provide? Its product description may say 4 GB, but if it was built 8 years ago the RAM might be partially inoperative now. (Doesn't happen often, but it can happen.)

Could you please open the file Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt with a text editor and show us its content? (It may contain some error messages.)

Also, could you tell us when the file Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt was changed? (The time stamp may indicate whether PSX has started to a certain degree.)

Thanks,

|-|ardy

WillB744

Thank you for your message.

I have a RAM of 8Go on the computer.

In the file Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt, only this is written:
[Aerowinx Precision Simulator - Exceptions]

Where can I see when the file Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt was changed? Where do I need to look at?

Thank you :)

Hardy Heinlin

Single-click on errors.txt to mark the file on the list.
Then press the two keys CMD + I at the same time.
A small info window will pop up.

If your OSX is set to English language, the info window starts with this data:

Kind:
Size:
Where:
Created:
Modified:

The interesting part is "Created" and "Modified".

Just to check that your downloaded file is OK: Did you install it on another computer as well and does PSX work there?

Regards,

|-|ardy

P.S.: If you've installed the Oracle Java, you may also try the OpenJDK Java as an alternative:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5626.0

WillB744

Thank you

I did as you said and the errors.txt file has a date of modification from 25 May 2020 at 08:30 and a date of creation from 25 May 2020 as well at 08:30.

I will see if I can try the files that I downloaded on another computer.

About the OpenJDK Java:

I installed Oracle Java and I went to the link that you sent to me to download OpenJDK, I downloaded Java 15 (MTS) for MacOS 10.13 or later (from the website of azul.com).
I clicked on the zip file:
    Checksum (SHA256)  Copy sha256 sum into clipboard.
    JSE 15 Certificate
    How to install?

In the file that I received there is a file called 'Welcome.html' where it says 'Zulu user documentation'. Then I clicked 'Prepare the zulu installation plateform', then I clicked 'Prepare for Zulu on a Physical or Virtual Machine' then I clicked 'http://docs.azul.com/zulu/zuludocs/ZuluUserGuide/InstallingZulu/InstallOnMacOSXUsingDMGPkgThroughGUI.htm',
I dowloaded the .dmg file that I installed but it still doesn't work.

About the OpenJDK Java, there are so many menus and so many versions with so many links that in the end, I am not sure that I chose the correct one.

I will download again the PSX from the website on a new computer.
Then could you tell me if I should download Java from Java website or Oracle website?

Thank you very much ;))

Thank you very much.

I am not a computer guy, if possible, I would prefer simple way

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you for the report.

I think the problem lies in the Java installation or its security setting.

Let's focus on your existing Oracle Java and disregard the OpenJDK alternative for now.

To check whether your Java is actually installed, you may click the Apple symbol on the OSX menu bar, top left. A menu will pop up. Click "System Preferences". On the "System Preferences" window click "Java" (it's at the bottom of the "System Preferences" window). After a few seconds the "Java Control Panel" should appear. Does it?

Firstly, on the "Java Control Panel" please click the "Java" tab, on that tab click "View...".
Another small window will pop up under the title "Java Runtime Environment Settings".
Does it contain the version code "1.8.0_271"?
To close the small window, click "Cancel".

Secondly, on the "Java Control Panel" please click the "Security" tab.
Which options are selected on the "Security" tab?

I'm sorry for the trouble! This is a very unusual problem.

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

WillB744

Thank you very much for your assistance ;)

I tried on a windows computer which has windows 10 and I couldn't run PSX as well.
I have downloaded the file Aerowinx again to be sure to have it correctly downloaded but it still didn't work.

On the Java Control Panel (Java Tab), I checked the version code which is the same as the one you wrote '1.8.0_271'.

On the Java Control Panel (Security Tab), these options are selected (my computer is in french so I will translate the options in english and the options might not be exactly translated exactly as in the english version):
-Enable Java content for Web Start and browsers application (This option is selected)
-Security level for applications not on the site list with exceptions
('Very high' is not selected)
'High' is selected

I hope it can help.
I tried to select other options to see if it could work but nothing worked with other selections.

Thank you again.

Hardy Heinlin

If it doesn't work on the Windows computer either, it's most likely a general problem with the downloaded zip file.

I just sent you an email with a special alternative download link for you. I sent it to the address of the mail that you sent me on 31 OCT 2020 at 1238z.

This problem is really bizarre.

What's the file size of your downloaded PSX.zip file?

Are your two computers in the same house and if so, could there be any special router filter that might affect large files during the download?

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Wait a minute ... one more thought ...

Did you really unzip the PSX.zip file, or do you see a preview of the zip content? This may happen on the Mac as well as in Windows.

Some systems automatically display the file names that are stored in a zip file; this may look as if these files have been unzipped -- but they aren't. If that is the case, and you open the AerowinxStart.jar file, nothing will happen because to load PSX it needs the other files too. If these other files are still zipped, they can't be loaded.

Did you double-click the PSX.zip file?

Regards,

|-|ardy

WillB744

When I downloaded the file, it showed as a zip file but when the file was fully downloaded, it changed automatically as if the file has been unzipped.

Si I copied the file on my desk and I opened it and everything shows as if it had been unzipped but I didn't double-click the PSX.zip file as it had been unzipped automatically after it had been completely downloaded.

Would you know how I could receive it as a zip file without being automatically unzipped so I can unzip it myself manually by double-clicking the PSX.zip file?

I tried to zip the Aerowinx file that I have received and I unzip it to be sure that all the documents would be unzipped but it didn't work as well.

Thank you :)

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

I'm in email contact with WillB744, attempting to find a solution for this unusual problem.

(His downloaded zip file is OK, and he unzipped it correctly.)

If anyone has further ideas that may help, please share. Thank you!

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

JohnH

I would try uninstalling java

https://java.com/en/uninstall/uninstall_instructions.html

Then install Azul OpenJDK

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?architecture=x86-64-bit&package=jdk

It supports both Windows 10 and macOS

I have been using it for several months and have never had a problem.

John

jackTer

Hi,
I observed the same problem recently, and I don't know why since everything was OK before.

I have Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and right now, the only way I can launch PSX is via a command line in the terminal :
cd ..... /Aerowinx/
java -jar AerowinxStart.jar

where ...../Aerowinx/ correspond to your actual Aerowinx path

WillB744

Quote from: JohnH on Thu,  5 Nov 2020 21:39

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?architecture=x86-64-bit&package=jdk

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your message, when I clicked on the link for the Azul OpenJDK, there are several choices:JAVA 15 (MTS), Java 13 MTS, JAVA 11 (LTS), JAVA 8 (LTS), JAVA 7 LTS and JAVA 16 EA.

Could you tell me how I should choose the correct file from all of them?

Thank you very much

WillB744

Quote from: jackTer on Fri,  6 Nov 2020 12:58
Hi,
I observed the same problem recently, and I don't know why since everything was OK before.

I have Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and right now, the only way I can launch PSX is via a command line in the terminal :
cd ..... /Aerowinx/

Hi JackTer,

Thank you for your message.

I am not a computer guy at all and I have never used the Terminal.

When I click CMD+I on the Aerowinx file, it says that the location of the file is 'Macintosh HD/Users/Laptop/Desktop/PSX'

Does it mean that I should write in the Terminal:
cd Macintosh HD/Users/Laptop/Desktop/PSX /Aerowinx/

Should I write Macintosh HD or should I write it from User?
Is it correctly written as I wrote it?

When I open Terminal, this thing is written:

'Last login: Fri Nov  6 17:16:28 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
MacBook-Pro-de-Wulfran:~ Laptop$ '

Is it normal?

Should I copy and paste your 2 lines after those lines?
Thank you very much ;))

JohnH

Quote from: WillB744 on Fri,  6 Nov 2020 16:10
Quote from: JohnH on Thu,  5 Nov 2020 21:39

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your message, when I clicked on the link for the Azul OpenJDK, there are several choices:JAVA 15 (MTS), Java 13 MTS, JAVA 11 (LTS), JAVA 8 (LTS), JAVA 7 LTS and JAVA 16 EA.

Could you tell me how I should choose the correct file from all of them?

Thank you very much

I am using Java 15 (MTS) in both Win 10 and macOS Catalina 10.15.7

John

WillB744

Quote from: jackTer on Fri,  6 Nov 2020 12:58
Hi,

cd ..... /Aerowinx/

Hi jackTer,

Thank you very much for your information, it helped me to make PSX run on macOS Catalina but I had other trouble that I will explain in case it would happen to others:

I found the way to write the path go the Aerowinx folder by writing 'cd' and then dropping the folder Aerowinx in the Terminal window, which will write the whole path for you:
cd Users/WillB744/Desktop/Aerowinx/

The only thing is that initially, I had this message with told me that it could not reach the folder Aerowinx:
cd: no such file or directory: Users/WillB744/Desktop/Aerowinx/

So I couldn't write the second line of command to open AerowinxStart.jar

I found out that to access the folder Aerowinx, I had to write twice 'cd ..' and the path to the Aerowinx folder as below:

cd ..

And I had this message again:
cd: no such file or directory: Users/WillB744/Desktop/Aerowinx/

Then I had to write it a second time to come back to the initial directory:

cd ..

And then I had this message:
cd Users/WillB744/Desktop/Aerowinx

Then only I could write this command:

And then it started the PSX.

But during the start, I had a message telling me that it was impossible to open 'Openal.dylib' because this app comes from an unidentified developer.

I searched for this file (Openal.dylib) in the Aerowinx folder and I right-clicked on it to select 'Open with' then 'Terminal'.
I had to do it 3 times before having the message asking me if I wanted to open it even though it comes from an unidentified developer.

And eventually, I had the PSX fully running.

I think the problem with macOS Catalina is that it doesn't pop up always the message that asks you if you really want to open the file even though it comes from an unidentified developer and then nothing happens as this message doesn't pop up.

Thank you very much Hardy, jackTer and John for your help, I made it ;)))

jackTer

An update on my side: 
I had also the Aerowinx folder on the desktop.

I moved it to the Application folder, and now I can again launch PSX by double-clicking on AerowinxStart.jar

PS : When the Aerowinx folder was installed on the desktop, I had the following error in the logs :

Sandbox: java(58377) System Policy: deny(1) file-read-data /Users/jackTer/Desktop/Aerowinx
Violation:       System Policy: deny(1) file-read-data /Users/jackTer/Desktop/Aerowinx
Process:         java [58377]
Path:            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

May be a new security feature introduced by a recent Mac OS update.

farrokh747

hi

not sure if this is of any help, but there's a sticky thread on mac/java fun and games in the hangar7 section ( from long ago)

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3118.0

for older java jre/jdk versions:  https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/oracle-java-archive-downloads.html

(youll need to login/rego)

Im still on High Sierra (10.13.6, MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) so can't confirm about Catalina - as per the last time (long ago) I had an issue with frame rates, graphics, etc, I installed the JDK as well as the JRE - there are many more flavours now, so not sure which one works best with Catalina

Re the OS blocking an app from running, go to System Prefs > Security and Privacy - in the lower part of the window it will tell you if the os is blocking an app from running...  you can allow it from there...   maybe in Catalina, it doesn't give you the usual pop up window...

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202491

cheers, hope this helps..

fc

edit: to stop the OS/Archive Utility trashing your zip file after unzipping, you can disable this in the archive utility prefs:

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/understanding-compressed-files-and-apples-archive-utility/