News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Posky 747-400 models for MSFS, PSX and WidePSX

Started by funkyhut, Sun, 1 Nov 2020 09:06

funkyhut

I found an old copy of the Canadian Mod on a hard drive.
For me the lights and control surfaces don't work and the "turbulence" is very distracting vs. the stock 747-8i. And it has the 8i MSG's cockpit so other than the model's external views, it has little to recommend it over the stock 8i.
Thank you.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

brian747

Ah - many thanks for trying, and for sharing the information, Chris!     

I had been trying to find the Canadian Mod online, but all the links were 404: it's helpful to know that the search can be abandoned.

(As to the email, please relax. We're all busy, and I'm always content to be patient).   

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

glubbfreund

@brian747
If I turn on the Taxi Lights in PSX, the Asobo 747-8 turns on one of its rwy turnoff lights. I binded the MSFS Taxi lights to a button. Not a good solution but a workaround.

But on the other side: I saw that you can load simbrief flightplans in MSFS now, so I can Taxi out with ATC and Traffic if I load the plane on the Gate, press CTRL+E and then load the pln File :)

@GodAtum afaik you can edit the camera.cfg and set coordinates outside the plane, then adjust it and save it as quick view and bind it to your Joystick afterwards. But I moved the Camera inside the Cockpit to the front to get some rain effects:)

Tércio Sampaio

Why we not have a simple airplane that not have any external neither internal objects to became much more easy on frames. It could only included the camera position for correct eyepoint and the lights. imho if exist such a model that could be a perfect solution for msfs.
Using the default 747 of msfs is sadly out of question because their bad optimization, they are the worst model in fps optimization in all msfs default aircraft. Also if i'm a virtual pilot and having psx, i not need cockpit from msfs neither external model because i'm not a classic msfs youtuber were they usually fly from outside view.

metalmike

Quote from: glubbfreund on Thu,  4 Mar 2021 07:22
@GodAtum afaik you can edit the camera.cfg and set coordinates outside the plane, then adjust it and save it as quick view and bind it to your Joystick afterwards. But I moved the Camera inside the Cockpit to the front to get some rain effects:)

How exactly is this done? Where is the camera.cfg file?

glubbfreund

Quote from: metalmike on Sat,  6 Mar 2021 02:17
Quote from: glubbfreund on Thu,  4 Mar 2021 07:22

How exactly is this done? Where is the camera.cfg file?

I dont know if its allowed to post links, but if you type "howto Cockpit Camera Outside Cockpit msfs" you should find a topic in the MSFS forums with a good explanation. Hope it helps:)

cavaricooper

As I have mentioned to Chris in private- despite the awesome secondary visuals, the primary thing is to get the Pilot's viewpoint CORRECT- that is very difficult at the moment.... I am working on this as time allows, but progress is slow.  Everything I see at the moment has the wrong viewpoint which transfers to incorrect manual flight technique.  Hopefully we can get this sorted.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hessel Oosten

Guy's

I remember that in nostalgic times .. (a popular topic today on the forum... ;) ) I used WideView (to support 3 monitors). https://www.wideview.it/

On all 3 PC's a copy of MSFS, one PC hosted and 2 clients.
On the clients a "ghost aircraft" was in function (in fact nothing else than a slaved "flying" viewpoint).

The maker Luciano Napolitano was always very friendly and helpful.
I can really imagine that he will be helpful to advice or in providing such a "thing" (which is likely still a tiny but important "part" of WideView.

Hessel

GodAtum

My cameras.cfg file, located in "C:\Users\psx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_B747_8i" has these values:

InitialXyz= 0.130101, 1.059994, 5.924959
InitialPbh= -0.231924, 0.00345, 3.209909

Steve Hose

Quote from: cavaricooper on Sat,  6 Mar 2021 16:04
As I have mentioned to Chris in private- despite the awesome secondary visuals, the primary thing is to get the Pilot's viewpoint CORRECT- that is very difficult at the moment.... I am working on this as time allows, but progress is slow.  Everything I see at the moment has the wrong viewpoint which transfers to incorrect manual flight technique.  Hopefully we can get this sorted.

C

Hi,

I agree, it is very tricky to get the view 'just right'. I've made some adjustments to mine based on one of the best 747 pilot POV videos I can find on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BG_IWNA_oY

Allowing for the obvious distortion and the GoPro camera positioned on the forehead of the pilot above his eye-line, I've done a short video below showing what I have come up with:

https://youtu.be/6_rxUtcoqEM

For a screen size of 3440x1440, here are the view coordinates for the default Asobo 747-8i:

InitialZoom =0.35
InitialXyz = 0.13, 1.0625, 4.76965
InitialPbh = -16, 0, 0

If you do a side-by-side comparison with the appropriate allowances I think it's pretty close to where it needs to be. Unfortunately the inherent distortion of the 3d cockpit in MSFS and limitations with simulating a cockpit view on a single desktop monitor means it just can't be done perfectly, so we have to accept some compromise.

Regards, Steve.

brian747

Thank you, Steve. 

And just to add another variation to the collection, the values that I have been using are:

InitialZoom = 0.25
InitialXyz = 0.17, 1.02, 4.72
InitialPbh = -11.3, 0, -0.2

(The result can be seen in the pic of the PSX panel over MSFS in my post here: https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=6128.msg68366#msg68366).

Incidentally, having been vlying Cargolux since the days of PS1 I was happy to see this livery for the 747-8, released on flightsim.to yesterday:

The author (not "Fritz", this time) says that the mirroring issues are "mostly" solved:

QuoteKnown issues:
- artefact, texture moving when you zoom out (far views) global problem of model 747
- in  some places is not possible make non mirror textures (sign on engines, rudder flag etc...)

Sadly, I won't have an opportunity to try it in-sim for a day or two, but I am hoping that it will work well.   

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

glubbfreund

Did anybody try to comment out either the plane or cockpit model file?
Community\posky744_dlh1\SimObjects\AIRPLANES\posky744_dlh1\model.PAX_GE

[models]
normal=OSX744V4_CF6-80
;interior=747_8I_INTERIOR.xml

metalmike

Quote from: glubbfreund on Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:03
Did anybody try to comment out either the plane or cockpit model file?
Community\posky744_dlh1\SimObjects\AIRPLANES\posky744_dlh1\model.PAX_GE

[models]
normal=OSX744V4_CF6-80

I haven't tried this yet but did it get rid of the stutter problems with the Posky model for you?

I've been using the default -8 model with no issues, but would love to have a proper -400 model again

metalmike

Guys, I'm happy to report that, at least for me, applying glubbfrund's suggestion seems to have eliminated the stuttering problem with the Posky model so far. I am just sitting on the ground with WidePSX connected, so things could possibly change airborne. Plus, I also just downloaded the latest MSFS update, so that might have been the actual impacting change. Who knows?

metalmike

Airborne, so far so good. One caveat (and I think this issue still existed previously) is that the radios don't seem to carry over to the MSFS model - so Vatsim is still a no-go.

JP59

Hello,

For the COM and XPNDR code to synchronize you must check the « Send PSX COM radio frequencies and XPNDR code to the Scenery Generator » checkbox in the WidePSX « TrafficTcas » Tab. See WidePSX user manual for details.

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

glubbfreund

@metalmike: Yes, my solution seems to work.

Sorry, had no time to test my solution by myself. But it works for me. So If you just want the plane model and no cockpit, change the following config in Community\posky744_dlh1\SimObjects\AIRPLANES\posky744_dlh1\model.PAX_GE to:

[models]
normal=OSX744V4_CF6-80

if you prefer to fly with cockpit (instruments not usable and rain effects enabled) change your 747_8I_INTERIOR.xml file in the posky model folder to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ModelInfo>
<LODS>
<!-- Highest LOD -->
<!-- minimum display size in % (should be bounding sphere vertical screen size, sphere will often be slightly larger than you expect) -->
<!-- default minSize is 0 -->
<LOD minSize="150" ModelFile="747_8I_INTERIOR_LOD00.gltf"/>
</LODS>
<Behaviors>
<Include ModelBehaviorFile="Asobo\Common.xml"/> <!-- ###################################### -->
<Include ModelBehaviorFile="Asobo\Airliner\AirlinerCommon.xml"/>
<Include ModelBehaviorFile="Asobo\Airliner\Boeing.xml"/>
<Include ModelBehaviorFile="Asobo\Airliner\FMC.xml"/>

</Behaviors>
</ModelInfo>

This will solve the fps issues. But please make a backup before changing the files.

JRBarrett

I tried the trick of modifying the 747_8I_INTERIOR.xml file to remove the instrument functionality, and that works as far as eliminating the severe frame rate loss when using the full Posky model. Unfortunately, there are no lights, and the flaps and landing gear do not animate. Surprisingly, the spoilers do work. The worst problem is that on landing, as soon as MSFS detects weight on wheels, it pops up the full screen "logbook" page, which is the worst possible time for that to happen.

I tried loading the unmodified Posky model with all instruments functional, and the aircraft will not power up, even when starting on a runway, and I do see the severe stutter/frame rate issue that others have reported.

Fortunately, the default 747-8 does work well with WidePSX.

fsam

You have to set the B747-8 within MSFS to ready-for-takoff state by choosing a runway as starting point and only switching window heat on. Then starting PSX and syncronize with MSFS to the MSFS position. There is a workaround to setup at ramp but only with running engines too, otherwise the animation as flapa and gears will not work correctly. For better access I've activated within 747_8I_interior.xml the window heat switch part. It is working in this combination for me.
Best regards Ralf

JRBarrett

Even with the 747_8I_INTERIOR.xml unmodified (all instrument entries intact) the aircraft does not power up or start engines on my system when starting on a runway. The aircraft remains dead, and with the INTERIOR.xml  active, the frame rate goes to about 3 FPS. Starting on a runway used to work prior to Sim Update 4, but no longer does.

No problem for me when using the default 747-8. That aircraft can be started on the ramp by pressing CTL-E as well.