News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Posky 747-400 models for MSFS, PSX and WidePSX

Started by funkyhut, Sun, 1 Nov 2020 09:06

GodAtum

So are people going back to the default 747?

funkyhut

It's my understanding that there is an issue with flaps with the "UK" update, for which there will be a patch "soon". Maybe that is part of the Posky problem? Let's keep fingers crossed.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

cavaricooper

Chris-

Indeed, there is a patch being released in the next few days... time to sit on your hands mate.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

GodAtum

Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:47
Chris-

Indeed, there is a patch being released in the next few days... time to sit on your hands mate.

C

Interesting, I wonder how the flaps bug causes FPS drop? Is there official confirmation somewhere on their forums or social media?

cavaricooper

Quote from: GodAtum on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 15:35
Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:47
Chris-

C

Interesting, I wonder how the flaps bug causes FPS drop? Is there official confirmation somewhere on their forums or social media?

Historically, there's opportunity in MSFS for more than one bug
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

GodAtum

Strangely I did a test circuit at YSSY. No stutters whatsoever with 40fps  :o

JohnH

Quote from: GodAtum on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:00
Strangely I did a test circuit at YSSY. No stutters whatsoever with 40fps  :o

I also just did a flight using Posky model with no stutters. Perhaps the Gaming Services App update (2.50.5005.0) on 22 Feb 2021 fixed something?

John

funkyhut

Gaming Services is up-to-date but still getting stutters making it unflyable. Stock 747-8i smooth as butter. Very strange. Same with MSFS in windows or full screen mode. Makes no difference.
Chris Stanley.

GodAtum

It actually started to stutter after about 30 mins. Default 474 didn't.

Petri

Hello,

MSFS flaps hotfix is available now. Let's see if that has any effect on the Posky model stuttering issue.

Regards,

Petri

chanc

Seems like it's still there. Interesting, if you hit escape and go the menu while the plane is moving, it seems like that there are less stutters.

funkyhut

For me, no change since the update.
Sad, but that's MSFS.
There was a 747-400 available from Canadian Mods which worked but that's no longer available anywhere to download.
Thanks.
Chris Stanley.

beat578

The 747-400 from canadian mods will return, but i dont know when. They merged with project Mega in december and wrote they will first bring out the A330 mod and the B737 mod, before returning the other planes. on the Download page it is written: will return soon, whenever that will be.
https://discord.com/channels/746450820077453393/791794996730134538

glubbfreund

GodAtum

:-[

is the default 747-8 a valid workaround for now? How do get my view outside the cockpit?

brian747

If you're looking for alternative MSFS liveries that don't suffer from the Asobo mirroring problems seen on most liveries for the default 747-8, may I recommend the work of "Fritz", as available on https://flightsim.to/

I am currently vlying his Silkway model (via WidePSX, naturally):

[pic lost]

Everything seems to work in terms of control surfaces and lights, and there are additional goodies available that our beloved POSKY models lack, notably 4K textures and wing-flex  . Admittedly, the cockpit on the Silkway model, although well appointed, is unmistakeably -8i, but hey - if you're reading this you'll presumably be using the PSX cockpit anyway, so you won't mind that too much, and if you don't like it you can always choose an 8F model (see the list at the end of this post). For example, here I am in the Silkway -8i [with superimposed PSX] cockpit at Heathrow:

I should mention one small caveat for videographers: WidePSX with MSFS is written specifically for the POSKY variants, so when it's used with the Silkway (and presumably with any livery based on the default MSFS 747-8?) an external view shows that the nosegear doesn't quite touch the ground (and hence doesn't rotate at take-off, except perhaps slightly backwards    ) whilst the mains sink into the concrete. But those of us who usually tend to be at the controls during take-off and landing won't worry too much about that.   

(And, who knows, in due time perhaps Philippe might be so kind as to develop a specially-tuned edition of WidePSX to work with the Asobo 747-8?).             And every credit to Philippe, since everything else on the default 747-8 seems to work absolutely fine via WidePSX!     

The other thing to be aware of is that, presumably in order to work around the Asobo mirroring problem, "Fritz" has creatively varied his livery versions slightly (perhaps this is what he means when he says 'Personal Edition'?    ), as can be seen in his version of the Polar Air Cargo livery.

[pic lost]

Anyway, that has been my experience so far - YMMV (as ever) of course. But then, these models are free, so why not give them a try? (And please don't forget to go back to FSTO and give "Fritz" your star rating, if you like them).

The two liveries shown in the above pics are the only ones I have vlown (virtually flown) so far, but "Fritz" also offers several others: here's the complete list as at March 3rd 2021 so that you can search for your favourite(s) at https://flightsim.to/ :

Boeing 747-8F Air China (4k) - no logo mirroring
Boeing 747-8F Cathay Pacific Cargo (4k) - no logo mirroring
Boeing 747-8F Nippon Cargo (4k) - no logo mirroring
Boeing 747-8F Polar Air Cargo PE Polar Regions (4k) - no logo mirroring

Boeing 747-8i Air China Personal Edition "China" (4k) - no logo mirroring
Boeing 747-8i Lufthansa Personal Edition Berlin (4k) - no logo mirroring
Boeing 747-8i Silkway(4k) - no logo mirroring (Version 1.1)
Boeing 747-8i United Airlines Personal Edition "Washington D. C." (4k) - no logo mirroring

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

glubbfreund

Quote from: brian747 on Wed,  3 Mar 2021 11:33
(..) Everything seems to work in terms of control surfaces and lights (..)

are you sure? I tried that and the the taxi and landing lights dont work for me.

brian747

@GodAtum

(You posted while I was writing my post above, which hopefully answers your first question).   

> "How do get my view outside the cockpit?"

The built-in "Showcase" a.k.a. "Drone" camera works fine for me. There are plenty of articles about MSFS's cameras online, you might like to start with this one specifically about the Showcase camera, for example:-

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-using-the-drone-cam-tips-tricks/128165

@glubbfreund

> "...are you sure? I tried that and the the taxi and landing lights dont work for me."

Ah, that must be why I said "YMMV (as ever)".   

I can't think why they didn't work for you. Perhaps you didn't have WidePSX connected, or it was connected but the light switches were off??? Sorry to state the obvious, but I really can't think why it should be different in your setup.     

One other thing that just might be a possibility is that "Fritz" issued a version 1.1 for the Silkway three days after the original, and there must have been a reason for that: when you tried it, did you perhaps try v1.0?

Anyway, here's the Polar Air Cargo livery lights as I see them (and the Silkway lights are the same):

(The strobes, navlights, and beacons don't appear in the picture, but they're there. The logo light was on, I promise you, but it's the dimmest of them all).

Which puts me in mind of one last possibility: other than the simple suggestions above, the only other reason I can think why you thought they didn't work might be that perhaps <*cough*> it just wasn't dark enough?? I say that because although these lights are present and do work (for me, at least), TBH they're very far from being the brightest I've ever seen in a simulated 747. Especially the logo and taxy lights - and I've a feeling that the turnoff lights weren't modelled by Asobo?

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

funkyhut

Thanks Brian for your great "Fritz" post.
I owe you an email which will be coming soon.
Take Care!
Chris Stanley.

GodAtum

Thanks for confirming everything works. Unfortunately I cannot adjust the cockpit camera beyond the windows of the cockpit which I seem to remember of the problem in the first place.