News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX does not start on new iMac

Started by wsijster, Sun, 25 Oct 2020 21:46

wsijster

Hi guys,

Today I installed my copy on a new iMac after installing Java and SDK. I copied the aerowinx folder from my old Mac. After starting "Aerowinxstart.jar" unfortunately nothing happens.

I checked the error.txt file and it has the following message:

[Aerowinx Precision Simulator - Exceptions]

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.apple.eawt._AppDockIconHandler.setDockIconImage(_AppDockIconHandler.java:77)
   at com.apple.eawt.Application.setDockIconImage(Application.java:346)
   at Core.startAll(Core.java:649)
   at Aerowinx.main(Aerowinx.java:65)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.apple.eawt._AppDockIconHandler.setDockIconImage(_AppDockIconHandler.java:75)
   ... 3 more

Any suggestions? It worked perfectly fine on my old Mac and I'm pretty sure I made a mistake somewhere. I'm running macOS Catalina with 64gB.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Regards,

Wim

Ton van Bochove

Ton

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Wim,

on your old Mac, did you assign an "icon" to the AerowinxStart.jar (or to its shortcut)? Your new Mac doesn't find an "icon".

How do you start PSX on your old and new Mac?

Regards,

|-|ardy

wsijster

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Sun, 25 Oct 2020 22:08
Did you install Java?

I did indeed install Java form www.java.com and I also installed the SDK.

Regards, Wim

wsijster

Hi Hardy,

Usually I did run it directly from de folder without the shortcut. At least that is how I remember it. But I will follow up your advice and create a shortcut. And of course report back ;-)

Thanks for the advice Ton and Hardy!

Regards,

Wim

wsijster

I just did create a shortcut from AerowinxStart.jar and put it on the desktop.

I'm sure that I make a silly mistake, because unfortunately it has been far too long since I used PSX.

I get the following text in the error log:
[Aerowinx Precision Simulator - Exceptions]

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "sun.lwawt.macosx.CImage.execute(sun.lwawt.macosx.CFRetainedResource$CFNativeAction)" because "cImage" is null
   at java.desktop/com.apple.eawt._AppDockIconHandler.setDockIconImage(_AppDockIconHandler.java:78)
   at java.desktop/com.apple.eawt.Application.setDockIconImage(Application.java:360)
   at Core.startAll(Core.java:649)
   at Aerowinx.main(Aerowinx.java:65)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "sun.lwawt.macosx.CImage.execute(sun.lwawt.macosx.CFRetainedResource$CFNativeAction)" because "cImage" is null
   at java.desktop/com.apple.eawt._AppDockIconHandler.setDockIconImage(_AppDockIconHandler.java:76)
   ... 3 more

By the way the Java icon does appear in the Dock, but nothing happens after that..

Regards,

Wim

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Wim,

my comment wasn't an advice; it was a question :-) Did you assign an "icon" to any of your JAR files in the Aerowinx folder on your old Mac? An icon is a small thumbnail image. Your new Mac doesn't find that icon image. Maybe you assigned it in your old Mac, and perhaps this cannot be copied from your old OSX to your new one.

Regards,

|-|ardy

wsijster

Hi Hardy,

Sorry...;-). Maybe I did assign an icon in the past. I own a copy of PSX already for many many years and wanted to start enjoying it all over again. Maybe I should use the original disk and do the installation all over again? Or maybe just copy a specific part of the installation in order not to destroy all the updates afterwards.

Regards, Wim

Hardy Heinlin

Please do this:

1. On your new Mac, in the Aerowinx folder, rename AerowinxStart.jar to AerowinxStartOLD.jar

2. From your Aerowinx DVD (from the "z" folder) copy AerowinxStart.jar to your new Mac's Aerowinx folder.

3. Start PSX by clicking AerowinxStart.jar in your new Mac's Aerowinx folder.

Regards,

|-|ardy

wsijster

Hi Hardy,

Thanks for your quick responses! I did all three steps, but stil with the same result. Also checked the security settings (Java has access to data drive), but unfortunately still the same result. The Java icon does appear in the Dock, but no further action and same result in error log. I also re-installed Java from java.com.

This evening I will check the settings on my old and new Mac. Maybe that can solve this puzzle..

All suggestions are welcome,

Regards,

Hardy Heinlin

What PSX version and what Java version are you using?

wsijster

Java version 8 update 271

Latest version of PSX

Regards,

Wim

Hardy Heinlin

Wim, I can reproduce your error log on my Mac if I remove the Visuals subfolder from my Aerowinx folder. (The Visuals folder contains the start-up image etc.).

So I guess your Aerowinx/Visuals folder hasn't been copied. This is so unusual that I think the entire copy action didn't work correctly. How did you copy it? By using an USB memory stick?

Regards,

|-|ardy

wsijster

Hi Hardy,

I copied my complete Aerowinx folder to a NAS and then copied it from my NAS to the new iMac. I guess I somewhere made a mistake.I'll check it later this evening and report back!

Thanks again for your wonderful support!

Regards, Wim 

wsijster

Hi Hardy!

You were spot on! For some reason I did not copy all the files but just made an alias.. (don't ask me why..). Therefore some folders like visuals were 'empty'... Hence the problems!

Thank you so much for the great help! I now can once again enjoy this great product and I will rush to the internet store for the NG FMC.

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Wim