News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + MSFS2020 + VATSIM setup possible?

Started by speed330, Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:00

speed330

Hi all,

First apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I am new to PSX and so far I have been able to get PSX and MSFS connected for the scenery via widePSX.

Not sure it is possible with MSFS but I am trying to connect to the VATSIM network using vpilot and use the VHF radios within PSX to change frequencies, communicate, etc.

I have read posts about setting it up with xplane and p3d but I am unsure exactly what I need to do to get PSX and vpilot working together instead of vpilot using MSFS radios.

Based on a previous post on the forum I have Audio for vatsim installed and I edited the clientconfig.xml file to this;

<SimulatorIpAddress>127.0.0.1</SimulatorIpAddress>
  <SimulatorPort>10747</SimulatorPort>
  <DisableAudioEffects>false</DisableAudioEffects>
  <psxACP>0</psxACP>
  <psxComRadio>1</psxComRadio>

MSFS and PSX are connected.
I start vpilot then start audio for vatsim.

Vpilot is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the voice channel. I understand this is because there is a conflict over which of them is using the voice channel.

Do I need to run both vpilot and audio for vatsim to get all this to work in PSX?

If anyone knows how to get it setup correctly so that I can use PSX radios for communicating on vatsim instead of the radios in the MSFS 747 virtual cockpit I would really apprecaite it.

Many thanks,
Regards,
Dave

Gary Oliver

Hi There,

You need to run vpilot with the novoice option so it also doesn't try to connect to voice along with the standalone client.

Cheers
G

speed330

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I understand now what other posts mentioned about having to add a no voice command.

I created a vpilot.exe shortcut and added the -novoice to the target field in its properties menu.
Now vpilot and audio for vatsim are both up and running, many thanks.

That is as far as I can get though (sorry a complete beginner here :)

In audio for vatsim window it shows my vpilot callsign and is tuned to 199.998

Does this mean if I want to change frequency I have to use audio for vatsim?

Any change to the active frequncy in PSX VHF 1 is not being detected in vpilot at the moment.

To get Audio for vatsim I went to this website (https://audio.vatsim.net) and the only places I could find a link to a standalone program were in P3D FSINN/Squawkbox and the ATC section for Euroscope which is the one I have.

When connecting the AFV that I have it says Transceiver Source: Controller Client
ATIS Source: Text to Speech from FSD

Vpilot shows different frequencies than what show up in VHF 1 in PSX.

I am using a single PC for everything.

If a type .debug in vpilot it does pick up the use of my PSX PTT button (assigned to a yoke button).
It seems PSX radios are not linking up with AFV/Vpilot at present, probably I have missed a step somewhere.

Thanks,
Dave

Gary Oliver

Ah!

We use PSX External Sim to P3D which updates our radios in P3D so the text part of vpilot works.

it doesn't really matter to you if vpilot is not showing the right frequency as all voice will be driven by the standalone client so you can still communicate with controllers on voice.. Just not text, similarly the RX and TX lights wont light up in vpilot but they will on the standalone client.

You do not need to set a PTT in vpilot, thats all done via the standalone client which you set a PTT in.

I wonder if JP will be able to get the PSX radios into MSFS for the text side to work?

Cheers
G

PSX747baw91g

in MSFS using the 748 I turn on (in the a/c itself) the battery, stby power and apu to get radio / txt working with x-pilot & v-pilot with afv thats just a workaround fyi :-)

speed330

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that explanation.

For me the TX light won't work in AFV.

If I tune a frequency in use in VATSIM on PSX VHF 1, I do not hear anything.

It seems the audio for vatsim client is a receive only version that I have. It will only pickup something if I add a frequency within the client. I'm trying to use the PSX radio to tune and transmit/receive on.

Since I'm using MSFS is there something else I need to download?

I do not mind not being able to use text, would just like to tune the PSX radios to work with VATSIM while using MSFS for the scenery. Pressing my PSX PTT results in no TX indication anywhere.

Many thanks
Dave

speed330

Hi smurf_aviation,

Many thanks for your input.
I did have the power connected to the MSFS 747 before I started PSX, widePSX, vpilot and AFV.

I seem to be missing something as tuning my PSX VHF 1 to an active controlled frequency or ATIS in use on vatsim is not working. I hear nothing. Volume and mic settings are set correctly.

The only way I can hear any vatsim ATC is to add a frequency to listen to within AFV (have to start by typing the callsign of the ATC station). Then I see the RX light show and the callsign and frequency of the last received transmission. I'm not able to transmit at all.

Cheers,
Dave

Gary Oliver

Interesting,

If you guys want to take this to real time chat pop by the simfest discord where we have a few people running the setup who might be able to help.

https://discord.gg/RcYCaM

Cheers
Gary