News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PS13 on a Mac with Boxer

Started by 744kid, Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:31

744kid

I'm very sorry to re-ask this old question but none of the answers I can find on the forum work for me.

I've moved to a Mac and want to run my PS1.3 under Boxer (latest v1 beta version). I don't want to use Boot Camp and therefore cannot run the patch that fixes the daylight saving time problem. Is there a way to get around the "Runtime error 005 at 21C9: 8D40" that stops the program running?

Thanks.

Garry Richards

Copy the 747HUMAN.FAC file directly from the original CD to replace the one in the PS1 folder so the original time stamp is unchanged. You will have to do this each time daylight savings starts or ends. Under windows I keep a copy in a zip file so windows can't change it. That way I don't have to dig out the CD every time I need that file.

Cheers
Garry

744kid

Thanks, Garry, but that still doesn't work for me, even though 747HUMAN.FAC is showing the 1999 date/time in the folder from which I'm running the program. I just can't figure out what else to do. Any other ideas? Anyone? :(

Jamie

Install this: http://www.hoppie.nl/747install/

It patches your PS13, big chance this solves your problem.
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

744kid

Thanks, Jamie, but this won't work for me. I'm not running an MS XP emulator on my Mac. I want to run PS1.3 on my Mac using MS-DOS emulation (ie, Boxer). I would prefer not to install MS Windows on my Mac using Boot Camp.

Is it really not possible to run PS1.3 under Boxer?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

You may try to abuse somebody else's PC to install and patch PS1 and then copy all files to the Mac.

Hardy Heinlin

In which timezone do you live 744kid?

I run PS1.3 on MacOSX in DOSbox v0.74 (without sound but with USB joystick) and have no problems at the moment in winter time.

I once have tried DOSbox already last year, but can't remember if it was summer or winter.

Actually, I expect MacOSX will not change the file dates when the summer comes. Or does DOSbox explicitly emulate this ridiculous MS "feature"?

|-|

Jamie

Quote from: 744kidThanks, Jamie, but this won't work for me. I'm not running an MS XP emulator on my Mac. I want to run PS1.3 on my Mac using MS-DOS emulation (ie, Boxer). I would prefer not to install MS Windows on my Mac using Boot Camp.

Is it really not possible to run PS1.3 under Boxer?
744kid, I run it for a couple of years on my Mac now. Runs like a dream. I suggest you try Jeroen's method, that is what I did a couple of years ago.

Jamie
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

744kid

Sorry for the delay in replying - been away.

Hardy, I live in London, so at the moment it's GMT. Boxer is based on DOSbox 0.74 so it should be the same.

I did try altering the date stamp back to the time/date on the installation disc. I haven't tried yet to put my machine forward to summer time, so I'll give that a go.

Jeroen/Jamie: I may be able to get access to a PC in the next week; if I can I'll try your suggestion if the above doesn't work.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Hardy Heinlin

Suddenly I got sound in DOSbox 0.74 with PS1.3 :-) First time after many years.

Strange feeling to hear Mel's voice live in action ...

With the CPU cycles at 15000 the sim's frame rate is OK, it just flickers badly. But it doesn't matter, I use it only for occassional system cross checks in comparison with PSX.

The only remaining thing that would be nice to get rid of is the NUMLOCK OFF status. Does anybody know how to get the numerical keypad of the Mac keyboard active in such a DOS emulator?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jamie

Quite a challange, but do-able!

In dosbox (C prompt) press fn-CTRL-CMD-F1
The keymapper shows

Select with the mousepointer the NUM key.
NOW press a key to which you will bind the numlock: e.g. Backspace

Click SAVE

Start PS1

Press Backspace!
Drink beer
Have fun!
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

Hardy Heinlin

It works, thanks! :-)

I didn't know what you mean by "fn-", I just pressed CTRL-CMD-F1.

Then:
Select with the mousepointer the NUM key.
Click on ADD.
Press the desired key (I took the "]" key).
Click on SAVE.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jamie

Ah the 'fn' or function key is only in MacBooks I presume :)

On a MacBook the default function keys are tight to things like volume or brightness settings etc. while pressing the 'fn' key you get the normal F1, F2, etc.

btw: you can swap the function keys in system prefs, but again the default is various system settings (volume, brightness,etc).
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

Jamie

BTW: I have a programm loaded just before PS starts and it's called NUM_ON.COM. It switches numlock to ON state (like in config.sys > Numlock=ON).

Example is from the Microsoft site, you can download it here: http://www.itsjamie.com/download/utils16.zip
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

744kid

I started this thread a long time ago and never managed to get PS13 running on my Mac as I didn't want to use Parallels or similar software. I had given up until today when I thought I would have another go with my Macbook Pro. Success!

In case it's of use to anyone else I got it working (without sound) with Boxer but I had to employ Crossover (which is based on Wine) to first run 747IPC Auto-Installer under a Win98 emulator to update PS1.3 to PS1.3a EE4. I could then run PS in Boxer without the startup runtime error 005.

I hope this is of help to anyone who couldn't get past the runtime error on a Mac. Best of all, if you use Wine (which is Open Source) or Crossover, it requires no Windows licence or need to install Windows.