News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET.Streamdeck - V0.0.0.0.0.1

Started by Gary Oliver, Fri, 1 May 2020 16:06

Gary Oliver

All,

In our simulator we use a Elgato Streamdeck (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck) to control a few basic functions of PSX such as ground services and Pushback.

A few people asked for it, so here it is in its very raw form of V0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.  It does the job but I haven't had much time to update and tweak it. If anyone wants access to the C# code to extend it, then let me know and I can send it to you.

Requirements

.NET 4.7.2
Streamdeck (Normal Size not XL or Phone)

Install Instructions

1) Extract the Zip File Somewhere
2) Copy the Module into your PSX.NET Modules Folder
3) Double click the font and click 'Install'
4) Run PSX.NET and PSX.StreamDeck

The Services page works well, the Doors is a bit tempremental, if anyone wants to expand on let me know and I will send you the code.

Download Link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p967ih24b5agr7/PSX.Net.Streamdeck.zip?dl=1

Whats it look like

GodAtum

Hi Gary, this looks fantastic! Would you mind releasing the source code for me to play with?

Matt Sheil

Amazing. Ordering 2 now
Was it easy to install in library?

Gary Oliver

Matt,

I used some superglue to stick them to the blanking plates in the middle of the library.

Godatum,

I'll email when I get it together.

Both,

I have a new version I'll post.

Cheers
Gary

Will

Is the idea behind the Elgato Streamdeck that it is a small external keyboard that runs macros? So you're assigning key presses and mouse clicks to the buttons?
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Each button also is a mini LCD display, so you have a keyboard that sort of behaves a bit like a touch screen.

I probably miss something, but technically you could probably write a small app (or just a simple web site) for a cheap tablet and glue the tablet to the blanking plates to create the same effect?

beat578

There is also an app called touch portal. you can do something similar, but with your handy or tablet. I don't know how that works, but it look interesting too. And it would be cheaper than a streamdeck. But i like the quality and look of the streamdeck. Can you recommend it as external keyboard to program some macros or key shortcuts?

Greg Hateley

Hi Gary,
The services tab is working but no luck with streamdeck.
The "streamdeck" software is seeing the device ok.
This error in the Windows log when starting PSXstreamdeck.exe
Application: PSXStreamDeck.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException at PSXStreamDeck.Program.Main()

Regards
Greg

kwieser76

Hi Gary,

It is still in V0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1. :-)

And if they're a new download link as the old one doesn't work.

thx
Kurt
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

Hammerstan

Hi

Is anyone able to link to a version of this?  The download link is broken.

asboyd

I use my StreamDeck to control my GSX (and aircraft doors) in P3D and MSFS. That way I can call up the services menu and call for each of the items in turn. This makes external views more interesting, especially when it comes to push back and PSX is acting as slave for that instance.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Swiso

Just got one XL on Black Friday, I have already programmed it to launch DCS, Xplane and other programs.
I tried with PSX, through AerowinxStart.jar file, but it doesn't start.
Any idea how to do to launch a java based program ?
Thanks.

asboyd

You may need to run a .bat file with the java.exe command in it to run AerowinxStart.jar.

Cheers,

Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Or try creating a Shortcut and point the XL at that.

brian747

I wanted to add a button to fire up WidePSX (also a jar file) but found that the batch file method (as I implemented it, at least) wasn't reliable — and I had some difficulty finding something that was. In the end I came up with a method that seems (OK, — it is) convoluted, but works reliably for me. I'll describe it for WidePSX, but I think it should work for any jar file. So, just in case it's of use for anyone else, here's a detailed description of how to do it:-

First, make a temporary desktop shortcut icon for WidePSX (the jar file, in my case), like this:
•   Right-click the desktop and select New Shortcut.
•   Browse to WidePSX.jar (or type in the location (e.g. "C:\MSFS Utils\WidePSX\WidePSX.jar")
•   Click Next
•   Give it a name (zzzz for example — nothing fancy, 'cos it won't exist for long).
•   Click Finish

Now make a shortcut to the temporary shortcut (I know, I know — but bear with me and you'll see how it develops):
•   Right-click the temporary shortcut and select Create shortcut.
•   Right-click the new latest shortcut and go to Properties. In the Target field place the cursor at the start of the field (i.e. before the "C:\MSFS Utils\WidePSX\WidePSX.jar" in my case) and type —
java.exe -jar
•   Make sure there's a space after the -jar! To be clear: it has now become java.exe -jar "C:\MSFS Utils\WidePSX\WidePSX.jar", for me.
•   Click on Apply and then on OK.

(Optional, just for interest) — if you now right-click the shortcut that you just edited and select Properties again, you should find that the target type is no longer "Executable Jar File" (it has become "Application" — a type which can be pinned to the taskbar); whilst the "Target location" has become "javapath"). Click Cancel to exit the Properties view.

To eliminate confusion, delete the original zzzz desktop icon (the temporary one, that you created first).

OK, now double-click your latest desktop shortcut to open the java application, and leave it open.
•   Go down to the icon that appeared on the right of the taskbar when you double-clicked the shortcut: right-click that new taskbar icon and select "Pin to taskbar". Now close the app.
•   Drag the toolbar icon to the left until it is one of the first nine icons (I made it the third one — that is, not counting the compulsory Start, Search, and Copilot (sic) icons which I have greyed in the pic below).

•   Check that pressing the Windows key with (in this case) the 3 key (that's the figure 3 over the alpha keys, not on the numeric keypad) successfully opens the app.

Finally ( <sigh> ) in the Stream Deck application drag the Hotkey icon from the System group onto the desired Stream Deck button. Click in the 'Hotkey' field and type the activating key combination — in my case Windows and 3). Add a name and any other customisation you wish (an icon, etc.). And that's it.

If a batch file had worked reliably it would have been so much simpler.    There's probably an easier way, but this wacky method works for me — maybe it will work for you?     

Cheers,

Brian

(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Swiso

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:34Or try creating a Shortcut and point the XL at that.
Hi Hoppie,
that's what I did, but it doesn't work.

Swiso

Hi Brian,

Brilliant solution, it work !!
Thanks a lot.

AA

brian747

Terrific!  Well done!

(And thank you for letting me know    ).

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Swiso

Quote from: brian747 on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:10  Terrific!  Well done!

(And thank you for letting me know    ).

Cheers,

Brian

I posted the link to your solution on "Community Tech Help" -> "Streamdeck" channel of Elgato Discord server, because it might be useful to other people.
https://discord.com/channels/581549424518365226/1080643347070320700/1179740084464013426

Thanks !
AA

brian747

Ah, thank you for that (although TBH I detest Discord, but hey...).

Perhaps, therefore, it's just as well that on Discord you mis-spelled my name.         But — no problem at all.  (I've been known on the Internet as brian747 (with an i not a y) for decades prior to Discord being invented — and I was LongHaul before that, back in the far-off days of Bulletin Boards and 300 baud modems...  <sigh> ).

(As I used to tell my clients in those distant times "The best security of all is to unplug your modem from the telepone line!".           Ah, but I digress — as is all too often the case these days...).     

So all is well,     

Cheers,

Brian