News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

DCS Freebies for a whole month!

Started by cagarini, Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:57

cagarini

Just in case you missed it, DCS World, the sandbox combat flight simulator of which I have only used the ww2 fighter modules, Noemandy map and ww2 assets and the UH-1H, is making available all of their 30+ modules for free unti May 18 !

Go grab and play it - it is still the mostadvanced in flight dynamics, at least in as far as ED modules go.

Kurt

Quote from: jcomm on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:57
Just in case you missed it, DCS World, the sandbox combat flight simulator of which I have only used the ww2 fighter modules, Noemandy map and ww2 assets and the UH-1H, is making available all of their 30+ modules for free unti May 18 !

Go grab and play it - it is still the mostadvanced in flight dynamics, at least in as far as ED modules go.

Nice - I did not know of DCS - downloading it at the moment.

Thanks for the tip :D

C
Best regards
Kurt

Kurt

Quote from: jcomm on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:57

Ok this escalated quickly 😱 - it evolved into a pretty expensive hint 😱😱😄 I am completely blown away by DCS and have already spent too much money on VR headset and a full hotas setup of absolute top quality ( Virpil stick, Thrustmaster hotas throttle and pendulum rudders 🙏😄) Luckily it's a perfect use for manual flying in PSX as the quality and precision is outstanding!!

Thanks for the tip jcomm 🙏👍
Best regards
Kurt

cagarini

:-)

This time I just bought the A-8 and the 51-D + Normandy...

I use my T16000 stick, Saitek Rudder pedals ( from 2014 ) and a semi functional old x52 HOTAS module, all also used with PSX.

I use EdTracker Pro ( not 6DOF but ok ). In the past I used an offered TrackIr 5, but quit working... The EdTracker Pro is inexpensive and uses an accelerometer instead of IR or a normal camera.

Glad you're enjoying DCS ;-)

I started using their sims around 2005, but I don't really find playing war games of any interest, although truth is that with age I end up finding myself getting into "air combat" more often than starting PSX for a short hop between LPPT and LEMD ( one of the longest routes I did with PSX :-), usually just do circuits around LPPT / LPMT .

Above all I like the flight dynamics modelling offered in native ED modules. Unfortunately and with very few exceptions, IMO the modules produced by 3pds leave a lot to be desired in that area. It doesn't surprise me because ED invested a LOT in a CFD program that they use for fine tuning of the flight dynamics, and pay a lot for sources of data when modelling a given aircraft / helicopter. There was a recent episode of one of their designers being arrested on spying charge in the USA, regarding acquisition of military documents on the F-16...

https://kotaku.com/flight-sim-developer-arrested-for-selling-f-16-manuals-1834736398

Their Uh-1H is also 2nd to none in terms of rotary wing flight models among the competition of flight simulation games, X-Plane included.

Main problem with any game flight simulator you can name, Aerowinx PSX excluded ( and, yes, PSX is not a game, although it can be used as such when users like me use it ...), is that they often "abandon" development after release, leaving behind lot's of stuff to correct. PSX users are taken with so much care / consideration by Hardy that we're spoilled and can't adapt easily to other experiences :-)

Kurt

I want to focus on only one model like in PSX and then be really good at it hence I only got the F-16 as I have always liked the airframe and it matches what is currently used in my country. Looking very much forward for it to mature a bit more even though my hands are plenty full just learling to fly it correctly :D (tried to refuel in the air but did not succeed in 10+ tries :D :D )

I got the Huey on your recomandation to have a heli as well - very nice I must say :D

all the best

C

Best regards
Kurt

cagarini

I believe FAP ( Portuguese Airforce ) has the same block f-16s as Denmark ...

Too complex for my brain these days... Actually, PSX is so complex that whenever I start trying to use it as it is supposed to be used I give up after a while - too late for me in this life to even pretend I would be able to follow an airline pilot career ;-)

What I enjoy the most in DCS, and somehow in IL-2 Great Battles too, is the "feel of flight" their flight dynamics modelling provides.

And yes, the UH-1H is probably the best, or among the very best helicopter simulations for desktop PC.

andrej

DCS has very good visuals and interesting maps. I do have their F/A-18 (still work in progress) and it is fun to fly, and F-16 (this one was a gift; still work in progress with less features than F/A-18). I have not flown it much.

I have to say that if I want a full warfare immersion, there is only one sim for me. That is Falcon BMS (4.34 version currently). Its graphics are probably the weakest point, but I like them and are still very passable. The strongest points are high quality model of F-16 and its dynamic campaign.

The best part is that you must buy original Falcon 4.0, which at some instances costs $5. Otherwise, Falcon BMS is for free. It is one of the longest living series and it is still developed by enthusiasts. This is very community driven development and there are many additional theaters.

But DCS has more planes to offer. Visuals are much better (for now). OK, that is my $0.02 for now. :)

Cheers,
Andrej