News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

NEW: PSX_Wheramium, a moving map

Started by martin, Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:32

Captain_Crow

Me again, did a flight yet and it doesn´t feel like 20 fps, no stuttering at all, smooth as ever.. strange thing..
Steff

martin

Hello Robert, Steff, and everyone else,

glad to hear progress is being made.

Quote from: RobertChrome or IE11 produce a nice error screen as you predicted.
In the meantime I have heard (offline) that running the map in a browser on an iPad also does not work.

One possible(!) reason could be that the mini-webserver built into Wheramium uses the old HTTP protocol (should be safe enough in this case as it is only a local connection; and the server will in any case serve only legitimate stuff, or else say "Go Away!" :) ).

But the browsers more and more move towards accepting only HTTPS connections; may be that is why some of them won't play with Wheramium.

Cheers,
Marttpsin

cagarini

Only thing I noticed in my Win 10 is that when I close the application there's a process ( Java ) still active.

I kill it manually going to the Task Manager / Processes, making sure I am not killing the PSX one :-)

Didn't test if successive Wheramium starts leave this processes acumulating but I'll try to check it later at home.

martin

Quote from: jcommwhen I close the application there's a process ( Java ) still active.

If it's "javaw.exe" it may indeed be Wheramium.

It's a bit of a user interface design issue:

As the user you have only two options to shut Wheramium down properly:

A. from the webpage by clicking the EXIT button.
This will however work only when the connection to Wheramium/PSX has been established.
(If you click the button while the webpage is not connected, you'll get a warning.)

B. from the console by typing ctrl-c
This requires that you have started Wheramium from a command line (see doc.s)

If you however (unfortunately a case more frequent than hoped for)
a. have started Wheramium by double-clicking the JAR file, and then
b. have not been able to establish a connection from the webpage to Wheramium/PSX

...then your only chance is the Task Manage or similar to kill the process, or else you will be left with a zombie Wheramium...

It's not exactly a design oversight, but I simply have no place other than the webpage (with its limited options) where to put an EXIT button. I had been thinking about a miniGUI with nothing but that button, but any GUI will increase both the complexity and the load, and it did not seem worthwhile just for a better exit solution...

Cheers,
MartinMartinMartinMartin

cagarini

@martin,

not really a problem, since that's what I always do after using Check Point VPNs...

Anyway I'll closely follow the right steps you mention, including the "Exit" and see how it goes.

Thx for the hint Martin!

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Captain_Crow on Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:51
Me again, did a flight yet and it doesn´t feel like 20 fps, no stuttering at all, smooth as ever.. strange thing..
Steff

"Feel"? You know that PSX has a frame rate indicator :-) -- So in your previous posts you were always referring to the frame rate of the Cesium map, not to the frame rate of PSX?

Did you reinstall PSX in the hope it would increase the frame rate of the Cesium map?

|-|ardy

Captain_Crow

Dear Hardy,

sorry for the mismatch, FPS of PSX, I don´t use Wheramium anymore since I have this low FPS´s.

The Sim itself feels like always smooth, also with the indicated FPS of 20.

I did a reinstall with the version 10.1.7 from the disk and the FPS was also on 20. Something on my Win10 system has been broken I suspect. But which part? I don´t know...
On the client computer (I use two) I have 50 FPS in PSX as ever.

Best as ever
Steff

Hardy Heinlin

Windows energy saving mode active?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The usual stupid video issues when your window overlaps the task bar 1 pixel or extends beyond your physical display 1 pixel? Reduce the size so it sits comfortably within the display borders and see what happens.

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Martin,

Great work, what a marvelous tool!
I finally got it to work, once I realized that starting from the command line works best.

> In the meantime I have heard (offline) that running the map in a browser on an iPad also does not work.

I cannot confirm that, it seems to work fine from my iPad. Hey, it (almost) works on my watch!

Markus

Dirk Schepmann

Hei Martin,

Fantastic, thank you very much for this nice tool! Worked almost out of the box, no problems to report. I'll test iPad tomorrow and let you know.

Hyvää yötä,
Dirk

PS: Whereamium is a very creative name, too. I'd have called it YASG (yet another scenery generator). :-)

Steve Hose

Martin,

Another wonderful add-on - thank you so much for 'answering the call' and producing this for us.

Works just fine under Chrome for me and defintely lighter on CPU resources.

Another great reason to spend more time with PSX when Australia (eventually) goes into lockdown :-\

Hope you and everyone is staying safe in the meantime.

Best regards, Steve.

martin

Ladies & Gentlemen,
(...it's 2020 and still not a single Lady, or??)

many thanks for the kind comments.

While we're at it:

A General Caveat

It's mentioned in the doc.s, but perhaps I should point it out once more:

While the Javascript in Wheramium (and Tellurium) is using the CesiumJS API, the maps / satellite images are coming from Microsoft/Bing*.
This means that you are potentially exposed to data slurping a.k.a. surveillance capitalism.
Therefore the usual caveats for that apply, proceed at your discretion.

This is a general remark; I have no knowledge of, or indication for, any data slurping to actually occur while you use Tellurium / Wheramium.
I'm just generally paranoid (which does not mean someone is not...etc), and routinely consider data harvesting in one form or another as the default behaviour of practically every website these days.

Cheers,
(((Martin)))

* I did investigate other alternatives, but they would all lead to considerable complications, such as re-writing the code from scratch...

Hardy Heinlin

Yes, there are ladies on the forum. That's why I always write "ladies & gentlemen".

martin

Britjet

Thanks very much Martin.
FYI I get things working nicely remotely an IPAS running IOS 13 and Chrome but on an IPAD with IOS 10 and Chrome I get lots of Cesium error messages. Not a problem, though ;-)
As you know I have a P3D scenery generator - but this is also extremely useful for positioning accurately at a gate pre-flight!

Peter

Robert Staudinger

Hi Martin,

it works with an android-pad and Chrome also.

Cheers, Robert

Captain_Crow

Miraculum: After two days of a break, FPS back on 45. no idea what happened..
Best
Steff

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Dirk Schepmann

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:18
Windows happened.

No, it was the MOF gremlin.

Sorry Steff, couldn't resist. :-P

Stay safe,
Dirk