News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Hardware NG FMC vs legacy FMC

Started by Ton van Bochove, Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:48

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

In reality there are some ACARS message types that simply don't fit on the CDU display and are directed to the printer right away. One of the known 744 bugs even is that some messages seem to display but miss characters, so you always print them just in case.

Hoppie

cavaricooper

Neat- I appreciate these RW insights- Ta!

Does the RW 744 NG display the METAR?

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

No.

First, the legacy FMC has no METAR function at all. Secondly, the NG FMC has just one METAR function, and that is on the ALTN page 1/2 for the uplink request for 4 METAR reports for 4 alternate airports, and that is a printout function that doesn't even ask for accept/reject when the uplink arrives.

Besides, in PSX you need no real paper as PSX simulates paper sheets that you can move around on your computer monitor.

The ACARS pages on the CDU come from the ACARS, not from the FMC. The ACARS subsystem you see on the CDU is not a part of the NG FMC nor of the legacy FMC.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 17:44
The ACARS pages on the CDU come from the ACARS, not from the FMC. The ACARS subsystem you see on the CDU is not a part of the NG FMC nor of the legacy FMC.

In most aircraft, the message part and the CDU interface of ACARS sit in the CMU box. They share this box with the low-level message router that decides which radio is best at the moment: VHF, DVHF, VDL2, SATCOM, or DHF. The whole system is a layer cake and often people mix up layers. Like, sending on ACARS instead of on CPDLC, etc.

In Boeing aircraft, the CPDLC part sits in the FMC (ATC and FMC COMM buttons). In Airbus aircraft, these also sit in the CMU box. Often on Airbus there also is a separate CDU-like panel for all messaging.

Hoppie

Will

Are the METARs print-only so that the crew can get every last character? Or is there some other reason why they aren't displayed on the CDU?
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

These nuances are clear to me. But there are people who call half of the cockpit "The FMC". -- CDU, ACARS, CMC, EFIS etc., everything's "The FMC".

There are two FMC units in the aircraft, a few meters below the cockpit, and these two FMC units do not generate the ACARS pages that Carl sees on the CDU when he has selected the <ACARS prompt on the CDU MENU page.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It wasn't for you, Hardy.     :-P

ahaka

Is the NG FMC exactly the same one that is used in the -8 ?

If it is, I'm wondering if the VSD on the ND comes from the FMC, and if so, could it also be added as an optional feature to the upgraded 744s?
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

It's the same NG FMC unit, as far as I know. But the EFIS/EICAS equipment of the 74-8 is not identical to that of the 744. The 744 PFD, for example, does not provide 74-8 specific features because it would require additional, special GPS hardware etc. and special FCC upgrades (flight control computers) for the mode logic and guidance for IAN approaches (precision LNAV/VNAV approaches). And the 744 ND does not provide all 74-8 specific features either (no vertical display), but, nevertheless, the old ND is able to display some new features regarding the route graphics. The lateral route geometry data and waypoint data come from the FMC, as usual. The old EIU/ND system can read and render the respective geometry and text data from the NG FMC too. The NG FMC manual will show some examples. One of the finest new features are the flap profile points, for example. And the RF legs ... By the way, the Kathmandu approach situation file that was stored in PSX in 2014 should actually be deleted as it contains RF legs, and the legacy FMC incorrectly interpretes them as straight legs. When the NG FMC is installed, you will see some nice, large, constant radius arcs instead (not to confuse with DME arcs).

Regards,

|-|ardy

ahaka

Interesting. So more hardware would need to be renewed for features like the VSD. I wonder if these will eventually get added in the future upgrades/replacements of parts to 744s.

Really looking forward to the NG FMC to see all the differences.
Antti

andrej

Hardy,
Thanks for further information and updates. More I read about the upcoming NG FMC update, more I am looking forwards to it. Just an additional thing to learn. Exciting times ahead.  :)

Given the fact that B744 is "dying breed" despite its heavy utility, I presume that we will not see VSD or any additional updates that require time and additional funds (in real world). If it will not be required by regulators, then B744 can do its job without such - handy - tools. It would be nice addition, don't get me wrong.

Will the Manual be availble for download prior to the realse of the product or will it be similiar to a free download version in PSX (base?)? I.e. full version will come with a purchase.

Thanks!
Andrej

Hardy Heinlin

The "NG FMC and more" manual can be downloaded free of charge when it's finished.

Regards,

|-|ardy

744kid

Another enhancement from Hardy is great to see. I'll definitely be getting this, as well as the annual map update.

I don't actually need NG but I feel it's important to support Hardy's work. The constant fine tuning and support which is second to none deserves the purchase of this add-on.

Thank you, Hardy, and I look forward to buying this in the near future.

Hardy Heinlin

andrej

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:08
The "NG FMC and more" manual can be downloaded free of charge when it's finished.
Thanks Hardy!
Andrej