News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Elvis needs glasses

Started by Ton van Bochove, Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:22

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:21
# This is merely a comment.
# The following line should contain the path to your PSX Layouts folder
# Your path goes here. Don't forget to remove the comment mark # .
# example for Windows (edit before use!):
#X:\Aerowinx\Layouts
# example for Mac / Unix: (comment out Windows entry; then uncomment and edit following line before use!)

#/users/owright/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
#/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

# Relative paths are OK, but must be relative to the folder with ELVis in it, not to the PSX folder.

Hi Ton,

lines that start with # are not active.

In your line ...

.. you need to remove the # sign and resave the ini file.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Ton, if you copied and pasted the file here in the Forum, how can it be that the # appears in front of BOTH lines while you claim it is only in front of the inactive line?

Your whole file should look like this:

# This is merely a comment.
# The following line should contain the path to your PSX Layouts folder
# Your path goes here. Don't forget to remove the comment mark # .
# example for Windows (edit before use!):
#X:\Aerowinx\Layouts
# example for Mac / Unix: (comment out Windows entry; then uncomment and edit following line before use!)

#/users/owright/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

# Relative paths are OK, but must be relative to the folder with ELVis in it, not to the PSX folder.

All lines starting with # are, by convention, totally ignored by the ELVis program. You will find this convention in nearly all configuration files for software worldwide.

You are not using a C: drive and a D: drive, are you?

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Markus Vitzethum on Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:23
Hello Ton,

thanks, that helps.

Can you please remove the hash in this line

because it tells the Elvis program to ignore this line. It's a comment line, then.
It should look like this:

I'm 100% sure it works after the change.

Enjoy,
  Markus

OOooops I made a mistake: to many # but after removing the hash symbol it did not start either.
Ton

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Ton, can you upload your config file here:
http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/
and let us know its URL please?

Hoppie

Ton van Bochove

Thank Jeroen:

http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/ELVis.ini

Is this OK? ::)

hoppie fixes it
Ton

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The file indeed looks OK. Unless the single line with no space after the # throws off Elivis' accountant.

Hoppie

martin

Quote from: HoppieUnless the single line with no space after the # throws off Elvis' accountant.
No it doesn't.  :D
Even so, perhaps it might be an idea to delete all the comment lines  (those starting with #), just to be sure, and to reduce the INI file and thus the issue to the one line which really counts.

Moreover, in reply #12 of this thread, Ton reports
Quote from: Ton- I tried both clicking and Terminal( command line)
- The Layout display appears and an error: cannot find alleged layout folder, please check ini
This proves ELVis is actually running. That error message ("alleged" ! ;D) is in fact coming from ELVis.

What is not clear to me:

¤ Does this really mean the path cannot be found?
     (which means something is really the matter with the line in the INI file)

¤ Or could it also mean the path is fine, but for some reason access is denied ?
     (e.g. because of a special permissions needed for anything under the Desktop directory). *)

(BTW I was also wondering about the encoding of the INI file, e.g. ASCII vs. UTF-8, but as Markus can run the program fine, that seems not to be an issue.)

Cheers,
Martin

*) I'll have to dig out the source code to determine, what condition exactly ELVis is checking for. But even then, behaviour on a Mac might be different from what I see under Windows.

martin

PS
Another trick perhaps worth trying:

¤ Write into the INI file any path which you definitely know to exist.
     Choose one not under the Desktop directory, just in case.
     (In my case, I tried "C:\Windows".)
     It does not matter if this directory does not have anything to do with PSX!

¤ ELVis will then be able to find that directory and will start and run with no complaint.

¤ When you then try (in ELVis) to load a layout ("Open 9pack" button), ELVis will open that directory, also without complaint, but of course no layout can be found there.

¤ However, you do then still have the option to browse manually from here to the correct Aerowinx/Layouts directory.
(The sole purpose of the INI file is that you don't have to do this manually every time.)

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

¤ Write into the INI file any path which you definitely know to exist.
     Choose one not under the Desktop directory, just in case.
     (In my case, I tried "C:\Windows".)
     It does not matter if this directory does not have anything to do with PSX!
     ¤ ELVis will then be able to find that directory and will start and run with no complaint.

I deleted all the # lines and and my path is the only active in the ini. now. I choose a PXP map ( no relation to Aerowinx or Elvis) on the desktop and ELVIS started but with the same error: can't find the alleged folder, check bla bla

¤ When you then try (in ELVis) to load a layout ("Open 9pack" button), ELVis will open that directory, also without complaint, but of course no layout can be found there.

In this case no errors, but Elvis hangs/freezes

¤ However, you do then still have the option to browse manually from here to the correct Aerowinx/Layouts directory.
(The sole purpose of the INI file is that you don't have to do this manually every time.)

What we have got:

Not an general Catalina thing: Markus has no problem. Maybe a setup thing at Ton's?

Not a java thing: Ton can start Aerowinx and CMC-PSX: they work flawless

Not A Path thing: Ton's checked by everyone and OK

Maybe a check on the forum who is running Elvis under Catalina?

Ton

martin

Quote from: TonI deleted all the # lines and and my path is the only active in the ini. now. I choose a PXP map ( no relation to Aerowinx or Elvis) on the desktop

Please try a path to a directory which is not under the Desktop directory.
I know I am grabbing at straws here, but what can I do...
And I keep thinking the Desktop (and thus its sub-directories) might be something special.

Quote from: TonIn this case no errors, but Elvis hangs/freezes
Does the directory (your PXP map) not open at all when you click "Open 9pack"?
Or does it open, but then you cannot browse further to other directories?

Otherwise, running out of ideas; this is apparently one for the Mac guys...

Cheers,
Martin

JohnH

perhaps the problem is with macOS Cataline and how it now handles Java? See this article for more info and maybe a solution.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjmoOrawenlAhUNmeAKHRbdCQkQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Ftechnetwork%2Fjava%2Fjavase%2Fusing-jdk-jre-macos-catalina-5781620.html&usg=AOvVaw0SE0prMfKshW9VNLOWFXqE

John

edit: I tried the suggested fix with Security & Privacy however Java is not an option.

Ton van Bochove

Thanks John. Could you Elvis in your setup

Martin, maybe using the JDK could be the origine of the problems?

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5490.msg59179#msg59179
Ton

martin

Quote from: Tommaybe using the JDK could be the origin of the problems?
I'm not sure I understand. ELVis will be quite happy both with Java coming from a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or from a full Java Development Kit (JDK) installation.

But I think in certain circumstances (on Macs?) it was advised to install the full JDK for the benefit of PSX.
And as it seems (your reply #5 above) that you have installed the full JDK anyway, that should not be the problem.

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

Shall we rest our case than  ;) On this moment I am the only one it must be a "Ton's related Mac problem"  :)
Ton

Markus Vitzethum

I refuse to accept defeat here.  :D

If the path to the PSX directory in my Elvis.ini is wrong I get exactly the behavior and the same error message as you get, Ton. So I'm pretty sure that Elvis runs correctly and there is no Java issue.

I would suggest to use the shell = terminal program. Go the Launchpad -> Others -> Terminal

Best, change your directory to the Aerowinx Layouts folder (using the "cd" command) and the enter "pwd" (=print working directory). It would help to see a screenshot of the window of "Terminal" to see how exactly the output of pwd looks like...

Markus

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Markus Vitzethum on Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:55
Best, change your directory to the Aerowinx Layouts folder (using the "cd" command) and the enter "pwd" (=print working directory). It would help to see a screenshot of the window of "Terminal" to see how exactly the output of pwd looks like...

That is too much ;-) can you give me the command lines: cd............  and after that: pwd ........

Thanks for not giving up:-)
Ton

martin

First
     cd /Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
then simply
    pwd
The second command will show the directory which is currently active (= "which you are currently in").

But keep in mind (my reply #27 above) that you can put any path into ELVis.ini as long as that path exists, and ELVis will then open that directory (even if it has no layouts in it or has nothing to do at all with PSX).

You have tried it (your reply #28 above), and reported that ELVis then "hangs/freezes", but we still don't know what exactly happened there.
Does ELVis not open the directory at all? Or does it open it and then hangs?

I am also still wondering if the Desktop directory (and its sub-directories) might need special access permissions. If so, this might explain why it does not work for you but does for Markus (because perhaps he has installed PSX elsewhere but not under the Desktop).  But again, this is just speculation.

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

QuoteLast login: Sat Nov 16 08:17:28 on console
tonvanbochove@MacBook-Pro-van-Ton ~ % cd /Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
tonvanbochove@MacBook-Pro-van-Ton Layouts % pwd
tonvanbochove@MacBook-Pro-van-Ton Layouts %

Thanks Martin, this is the result
Ton

martin

Hmm, that looks correctly like what you have in your ELVis.ini file...

I give up...
The only thing I can now think of is the suggestion made above and earlier already, namely to put some other path into ELVis.ini and then to see what happens.

UPDATE:
We may have found a suspect...

Instead of really giving up as promised, I had another look at my source code, and found something (embarrassing, to me! :-\).

¤ Could it be that in your ELVIs.ini file there is a blank (space) before the path, as indicated here by _:
     _/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

If that is the case, ELVis will not really hang but will pop up the message that he cannot find the folder; but that popup may be hidden behind other windows, and thus create the impression that ELVis has frozen.

If it's really there, please remove that space and try again.
(Note that a space at the end of the line does not matter.)

Let's hope this is the reason...

(Even though it would be a rather stupid mistake on my part. It's not really a bug but bad coding: a leading or trailing space should not matter at all when the path is read in. Probably I was relying, wrongly, on the Operating System(s) to ignore that space, but I did not actually test it... And so far everyone else seems to have avoided any leading spaces in their INI files, so I was never caught out :D)

Cheers,
Martin

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Another nasty nasty thing in .ini files is the dreaded BOM that you may get with Notepad editors tuned to a foreign language. Typically on Windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Hoppie