News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Elvis needs glasses

Started by Ton van Bochove, Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:22

Ton van Bochove

The last couple of days I found out that Martin's layout tool is indispensable. I installed the tool today on my desktop (where the Aerowinx folder is situated too) and altered the .ini :/users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
It does not work. I put the Elvis folder in the Aerowinx folder and changed the ini to this situation : does not work.

Is there any clou?

T.

hoppie did a few typo corrections for clarity
Ton

martin

Hello Ton,

good to have you back! Although I'm a bit late, let me join the "Welcome!" chorus: it's always splendid to see members of the Old Gang return! (...and even resuscitate  ELVis!) :D

As to the issue with the latter gentleman:

Quote from: TonIt does not work.

This is the kind of report most dreaded in User Support...  :-[

But let's see...

¤ Are you running under Windows or under some kind of *ix?
My first idea was that the path in Elvis.ini does perhaps not use the right separator (forward slash for *ix, backslash for Windozes), but that seems actually not to matter (and it shouldn't, but I had to try it, it's been a while...)

Moreover,
Quote from: Ton:/users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
¤ Probably just a typo but the path does start with a drive letter? (if you run under Windows, that is)

Quote from: TonI put the Elvis folder in the Aerowinx folder and changed the ini to this situation
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "situation" here.
¤ The ELVis JAR file can be in any folder as long as the INI file is in the same one.
It's then the INI file's job to find the PSX layouts folder.
(BTW, note also that ELVis does not require PSX itself to be running.)

Next:
¤ Do you get any error messages from ELVis himself?
These will always be seen (as "pop-ups") immediately.

However, if you start the program by double clicking on the JAR file, any error messages from Java will not become visible automatically.
¤ Please try to start ELVis from a command line (a.k.a "console" for *ix, or "Command Prompt" for Windozes), using the command
java -jar PSX_ELVis.jar
If anything goes wrong with Java, you'll then see quite a tapeworm of error messages; please share.

Also let us know which Java version you are using:
java -version from the command line will do the trick.

All this should keep you nicely busy for a while...  :D
Let us know how it goes.
And rest assured: ELVis lives!

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Ton
Error: Unable to access jarfile PSX_ELVis.jar

Sounds like either you are not in the folder where this .jar file lives, or the access permissions of this .jar file do not allow you to open it.

The Mac command line has the same CD style Change Directory commands a Windows, except that the slashes are forward / instead of backward. MacOS is actually a Unix derivative, so much closer to Linux than Windows.

Hoppie

EDIT *DARNIT* I did it again, using Modify instead of Quote... sorry Ton, I thereby deleted your original message...
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Ton, does ELVis not start? Try right-click on the ELVis icon to open a pop-up menu, then left-click "Open". Maybe Catalina doesn't trust all Java apps.

|-|

martin

Quote from: HardyMaybe Catalina doesn't trust all Java apps.
Not even Elvis?
That's the final proof that Apple is overdoing it with their closed universe...
;D
Seriously, if this is all playing on a Mac, I can't help much, as I don't have one. Wasn't there also an issue about certain Java versions on Macs?

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

Thanks Hardy, but it did not work. Before install I downloaded 9I think) the SDK of Java because Catalina did not support Java anymore. I did the trick because PSX was working fine. I reinstalled Java 8 but it changes nothing. Could Catalina be the problem (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/using-jdk-jre-macos-catalina-5781620.html)
Ton

Hardy Heinlin

If PSX starts normally on your Catalina OS, all other Java apps should start as well, I think.

Ton van Bochove

You are right...I will leave for the moment and will pick it up later....so match more to read and learn
Ton

Avi

Ton,

Can you run CMC-PSX?
It is also a java program. Just unzip and run it (don't change anything in the ini file). It doesn't need even PSX to run (to work yes, but not to run).

You should get the program frame with an error message about sound files.
If no problems so far, open the ini file and update the PSX path and run again.
If everything is ok it should open without any error messages.
Are we ok so far?
if you want you may run now PSX (not realy important for our test), start the server and connect CMC-PSX to PSX. Does it connected (you should see CMC-PSX at the MENU page of the Center CDU)?

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Ton van Bochove

Hi Avi, thanks for the support. CMC pax is running fine....a lovely add-on!! I copied the same path to Elvis but to no avail. So I think it is not a java issue but probably a path issue or something minor what can be found one day :-)
Ton

martin

Hello Ton,
Quote from: Ton something minor what can be found one day
The question is, by whom?  ;D

I'd like to help some more, but don't quite see how...
It's  now clear that you are running a Mac with "Catalina" (not Windows), but I would need more info about
¤ how you start ELVis (clicking on the JAR file? command line?),
¤ what exactly happens (or not), and
¤ what the error messages (if any) say.

See my long post above (minus the Windows/*ix items which are now clear) for suggestions of things to do.

¤ In the meantime, has anyone at all succeeded in running ELVis on a Mac with "Catalina"?

Cheers,
Martin

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Martin, Ton,

> In the meantime, has anyone at all succeeded in running ELVis on a Mac with "Catalina"?

yes, works fine here on my Mac running Catalina.

Not sure if it helps, but here is the direct quote (copy/paste) from my ini file, where PSX is installed in the Aerowinx folder within the PSX folder.

# example for Mac / Unix: (comment out Windows entry; then uncomment and edit following line before use!)
/Users/markus/PSX/Aerowinx/Layouts

Note that "Users" is written in upper case (got that path from the terminal shell - by calling pwd from the terminal); all the other Unix and Linux systems I have worked with before had "/users" written in lower case.

Markus

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: martin on Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:12

I'd like to help some more, but don't quite see how...
It's  now clear that you are running a Mac with "Catalina" (not Windows), but I would need more info about

¤ how you start ELVis (clicking on the JAR file? command line?),
¤ what exactly happens (or not), and
¤ what the error messages (if any) say.

- I tried both clicking and Terminal( command line)
- The Layout display appears and an error: cannot find alleged layout folder, please check ini

@Markus: my ini is "/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts" I have my Aerowinx map on my desktop and I copied the path from the info part.

I assume you installed Elvis in one of the previous iOS? Mine was installed for the first time in Catalina, could that be of any significance?
Ton

Markus Vitzethum

Hello Ton,

actually, I installed Elvis only yesterday evening, well after the Catalina update.

Can you possible post your full ini file, please, just to check if every comment characters and so on are set correctly?

Thanks,
  Markus

Ton van Bochove

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the info! At least we know that Catalina is not the problem!

my complete ini is:

# This is merely a comment.
# The following line should contain the path to your PSX Layouts folder
# Your path goes here. Don't forget to remove the comment mark # .
# example for Windows (edit before use!):
#X:\Aerowinx\Layouts
# example for Mac / Unix: (comment out Windows entry; then uncomment and edit following line before use!)

#/users/owright/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts
#/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

# Relative paths are OK, but must be relative to the folder with ELVis in it, not to the PSX folder.
Ton

Markus Vitzethum

Hello Ton,

thanks, that helps.

Can you please remove the hash in this line

because it tells the Elvis program to ignore this line. It's a comment line, then.
It should look like this:

/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

I'm 100% sure it works after the change.

Enjoy,
  Markus

martin

Aha!
Quote from: Ton#/Users/tonvanbochove/Desktop/Aerowinx/Layouts

You left the initial "#" sign in, which makes the whole line just another comment which will be disregarded by the program.

Simply delete the "#" (in that one line only!) and then it "should" work...

Many thanks to Markus for jumping in and testing, and with the "proper" result, too ("it works")!  :D

I hope we have nailed it this time.

Cheers,
Martin

martin

...and the winner is...

Markus!

He beat me to it.
Thanks again for the help!

(This is the only forum I know where you can get support in real time from two people, plus the author! :D )

Cheers,
Martin

Ton van Bochove

because it tells the Elvis program to ignore this line. It's a comment line, then.
It should look like this:

But the red line is the active.......sorry Martin/Markus  ::)
Ton

martin

Quote from: Ton
But the red line is the active.......sorry Martin/Markus 
Uhmm...

But in your INI file as shown in your older post above, all lines start with a # mark, and thus all lines would be comments.

If your entry actually does not have an initial # mark, and is thus indeed active (not a comment), then I am a bit out of my depth.

Could it be that with MacOS, the Desktop folder has some kind of special status, e.g. requires special access permissions?
So that a program (in this case ELVis) cannot access any folder which is under the Desktop folder?
(But that's just a wild guess.)

Cheers,
Martin