News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FS 2020, or FLIGHT SIMULATOR...

Started by cagarini, Tue, 1 Oct 2019 07:06

cagarini

It's been further unveilled, and looks simply gorgeous !

The links bellow are just a couple from the many already available accross the Internet since yesterday.

It's going to be a true change of quality in many aspects, with the new features regarding World and Weather modelling.

Flight Dynamics model also completely written from scratch.

All of this, "unfortunately", when my focus of attention and pleasure in using this virtual worlds and aviations has turned almost 100% into a game - War Thunder :-)  I look back and see, in the mist of the past, the many hours spent at the desktop pretending I was a captain, or a 1st officer, driving my airliner, but at least FS 2020 with it's very plausible depiction of practically all places on Earth could at least serve as a tranning tool for emmergencies in the areas I fly for real :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTT3oxArLI

Gary Oliver

I also understand that the devs of FS2020 are aware of the PSX sim builder community and very much interested in making it work as a visuals generator  ;D

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Let's hope that the managers of the devs of FS2020 are equally interested in this.

Will

A phenomenal world simulator that can be easily networked would be a real asset to many sim communities. It's a pity that the FS team has to concentrate on the "F" part - the airplane part. If they just concentrated on creating a world that users could move a camera through, and leave all the flight dynamics, aircraft sim portions, ATC, etc., to others, we'd have a real game changer.
Will /Chicago /USA

cagarini

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Tue,  1 Oct 2019 23:16
Let's hope that the managers of the devs of FS2020 are equally interested in this.

This turn around I believe they really are / should be ...

Quote from: Will on Wed,  2 Oct 2019 01:22
A phenomenal world simulator that can be easily networked would be a real asset to many sim communities. It's a pity that the FS team has to concentrate on the "F" part - the airplane part. If they just concentrated on creating a world that users could move a camera through, and leave all the flight dynamics, aircraft sim portions, ATC, etc., to others, we'd have a real game changer.

Well, it's possible already in ESP and derivates as well as in FSX, so I guess it'll make it's way into FS 2020 too.
But with the more advanced flight dynamics, and the SDK, maybe one day Hardy or someone with the same talent, finds a way to implement a sophisticated airliner directly in on of these platforms ( FLIGHT SIMULATOR or X-Plane ). Heck, their flight dynamics are very powerful already, and other systems can be programmed outside and plugged in effectively. Problem is, most of the guys who do that do not have the background / expert knowledge and talent Hardy has.

ahaka

The weather/atmosphere model seems very impressive. For the first time the cloud formations and buildups look like they should.

I really, really hope we get VisualPSX (or something equally good) for this.

Antti

RogerH

It looks beautiful.

As I understand it, however, there are no plans to support multi-screen setups. Could be an issue for cockpit builders?

ahaka

If they mean it when they say that they are making this first and foremost to flight simulator enthusiasts, they should add multi-monitor support. It is such a widely used feature, and not just for us who use PSX.
Antti

Gary Oliver

For me providing they give an option for injecting position we should be okay as we run multiple visuals PC's and can sync them as we do now with external sim.

However we shall see :-)

Traffic

Having watched a few videos on YouTube by the lucky few ;-) invited to Seattle, it sounds like FS2020 will be released very much as a work in progress. So initially no multi-monitor support but in time there will be. Same with VR. Fingers crossed!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Traffic on Fri,  4 Oct 2019 19:54
... it sounds like FS2020 will be released very much as a work in progress...
The managers want the users to find the bugs and see where the market really heads, before committing resources... It may simply mean more game and less simulator, if money is all that matters.

Hammerstan

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Fri,  4 Oct 2019 10:05
For me providing they give an option for injecting position we should be okay as we run multiple visuals PC's and can sync them as we do now with external sim.

Have a chat to Chewwy on this topic.  He reported here encouraging the developers to enable the use of MSFS as a scenery generator.  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/488371467?t=4802s

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Just picked up a rumour that all of FS2020 will be running on Azure in the MS Cloud, and you basically only install a local interactive video player. This would require a permanent good internet link. Not sure whether this rumour has any base in reality but for sure it matches perfectly with the anti-piracy war, backend heavy iron, Steam, etc.

It would also enable a MSFS Store with add-ons and scenery linked to your credit card and available, for rent or for sale, at the selection of a checkbox.

Enter new airspace?

[popup]
Would you want to enable photorealistic scenery for this airport for $0.99?

Hoppie

Hessel Oosten

For emergency landings....  quadrate the price of the airport .... ;)

H.

ahaka

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Mon,  7 Oct 2019 17:11
Just picked up a rumour that all of FS2020 will be running on Azure in the MS Cloud, and you basically only install a local interactive video player. This would require a permanent good internet link. Not sure whether this rumour has any base in reality but for sure it matches perfectly with the anti-piracy war, backend heavy iron, Steam

So for a multi-viewport scenery generator, just run three instances of this player (and perhaps pay three licenses).

My guess was that only the geographic data such as terrain, satellite imagery and vertex clouds will be streamed but the graphics are still rendered locally.
Antti

martin

Quote from: Hoppieall of FS2020 will be running on Azure in the MS Cloud, and you basically only install a local interactive video player.
Not quite. Apparently it will be a "three-layered" approach:
¤ online, scenery streamed,
   full quality;
¤ "pre-cached": download scenery in advance, then use cache during actual session;
   quality?
   (in theory ought to be the same as above, but will people (be able to) pre-download
    and store 10 GB for their local 30nm GA hop?  :-[) ;
¤ offline, nothing cached;
   reduced quality (how much?)

In any case, I'm sure purchase of new more powerful hardware will still be required. Old habits die hard, and Tradition must be honoured...  ;D

Disclaimer: AFAIK.

Cheers,
Martin

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-reboot/

"There are several skills needed by pilots that can be practiced on this kind of flight simulation technology. Examples are hand-eye coordination, flight-related multi-tasking and instrument interpretation and scanning" says Captain Marie Stridh, flight captain and pilot recruiter at SAS Scandinavian Airlines.

martin

Hardy Heinlin

Quote"There are several skills needed by pilots that can be practiced on this kind of flight simulation technology. Examples are hand-eye coordination, flight-related multi-tasking and instrument interpretation and scanning" says Captain Marie Stridh, flight captain and pilot recruiter at SAS Scandinavian Airlines.

These skills were already needed in the sims of the 1980s. No wonder: You can't fly without these skills.

So, not a new challenge. Just an advertising slogan for newbies.

|-|

cagarini