News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Transfer Precision Simulator to new PC

Started by AtlasMark, Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:55

AtlasMark

Hello everyone,

I have Aerowinx Precision Simulator on my old windows 7 PC. And, I use it to help me prep towards the annual check ride. I bought a new Windows 10 PC, downloaded Java and tried to reload the program, but it seems I can't without downloading an application from the Microsoft Store first. What application? I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with that!! The Aerowinx StartJar file doesn't pop up, even if I insert my CD. I don't use a network of computers, just a small laptop, so not even the manual is helpful with this regard.

Has anybody else run into this issue? Thanks.

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Mark,

have you tried these two tips?

• Aerowinx manual, page 12.

• Or this: http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5250.msg56529#msg56529

Regards,

|-|ardy

AtlasMark

Yes sir,

Tried them both. I sent you an email with pictures to show you what I keep getting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hardy Heinlin

So the message from Windows 10 reads "You'll need a new app to open this .jar file""

This looks like an old, unresolved Microsoft problem.

I found at least three links, but unfortunately they are all of no help and they are all from 2016:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Has anyone else on the forum any experience with this problem?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Roddez

Hi Mark,

I'm not expert here, but the symptoms you have listed suggest that another application other than Java (possibly Microsoft Edge) is trying to open PSX.

Once you have Java installed, please use Windows Explorer (To open hold down the Windows key and press E) to navigate to where you have installed PSX.

Right Click on the AerowinxStart icon and choose the Open With option.  This should allow you to choose a version of Java to run PSX.

If this worked, you may be able to change the association within windows in the following way:
- Click on your Start Menu and choose settings.
- Choose the Apps icon
- Choose Default Apps (From the list on the left of the settings window)
- Scroll to the bottom of the Default Apps list and click Choose default applications by file type
- Scroll down the new list until you find .jar
- Ensure that Java is listed as the associated Java application

I hope this helps.

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

AtlasMark

Hi Rod,

I just got off with DELL. Pretty much everything you listed, we did.
installed java
opened up aerowinxstart.jar with java binary file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin
reinstalled java and tried again
referred to 744 hangar forums for additional info
followed page 12 of the ownership manual for opening the program file.

Nothing worked. Thanks, bud.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Mark,

do you still have your old Windows 7 PC?

Does Dell provide the option to replace this new PC? It looks like this Windows problem is very rare and seems to exist since 2016 -- and still no solution so far.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Roddez

Mark,

Is your new computer running a full version of Windows 10?  There is a "lite" version but I'm clutching at straws here.

Another thing to try is to download and install a different version of Java.  Try the Java Development Kit 11:
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk11-downloads-5066655.html

(Uninstall the existing version first).

Cheers,

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY

AtlasMark

Hi Hardy, Rod ...

Yes, I do have the program on my Windows 7 PC. The problem is, is that it runs slow. It's a 10 year old laptop. I had to replace it anyway as Windows 7 will no longer be supported after February 2020.

Rod, I'll try your suggestion next. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers mate.

Holger Wende

Hi,

Only a workaround and not a real solution:
Did you consider to create a small batch file to start PSX?

E.g. open Notepad and enter the following lines

cd "C:\Users\Holger\Flightsim\Aerowinx\PSX"
java -jar AerowinxStart.jar

Adapt the path according to your local PSX installation.
Save the file and name it e.g. start.bat

You should be able to launch it by double-clicking the bat file icon.

If the java executable is not found you may add the full path to the java executable, so instead of
java -jar AerowinxStart.jar
you may write e.g.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin\java" -jar AerowinxStart.jar

Similarly you can create a startNet.bat but instead of invoking AerowinxStart.jar you invoke AerowinxNetStart.jar.
java -jar AerowinxNetStart.jar

Hope it helps to get closer to PSX and maybe postpone debugging the root cause until later...

Good luck, Holger

EDIT:

Testing Java
Press Windows+R to open "Run" box. Type "cmd" and then click "OK" to open a regular Command Prompt.
Then enter

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin\java" -version

What is the output, does it work?

AtlasMark

Hi Holger,

I tried all your suggestions - nothing worked.

Perhaps, because I first loaded the program onto my old Windows 7 PC, it won't allow me to download it, or open it on this new Windows 10 PC. I've tried loading it on an older Windows 10 PC, but I'm getting the same problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Roddez

Quote from: AtlasMark on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 01:49
Dell, Microsoft and Aerowinx just bounce me around, none of them seem to want to take responsibility for this issue. It pisses me off that I bought this piece of shit aerowinx program!!!

Hi Mark,

I can understand your feeling - unfortunately when things go wrong with computers now days it can be an incredibly annoying experience.

As a software developer, I can assure you that Hardy will be just as frustrated as you with the situation you find yourself in.  When someone can't run your software, you can't help but take it personally and you will do all you can to try and help them out.  However if you can't replicate the error or isolate this issue, it can be next to impossible to diagnose the true cause of the problem.

PSX is a Java application.  If Java isn't installed and running correctly, then PSX will not run.

If there were hundreds of posts in this forum from people who couldn't run PSX, then I would agree with you that the issue lies solely with Aerowinx.  However there are hundreds of people running PSX around the world on a huge variety of hardware and operating systems.  That they can all run PSX suggests that you may have been a little harsh with your comments.  However I understand the frustration that you are experiencing.

May I ask you to try one simple experiment - we have a small utility application called AdaptPSX that runs under Java.  You can find a link to the software by clicking here.

Perhaps you could unzip the application and try to run it.  If it runs, then we at least know that Java is working on your computer.  If it doesn't run then we might be able to read the error message to understand the issue.

I recently purchased a new HP laptop for an elderly relative.  When the laptop arrived, I tried to install their favourite card game, but it wouldn't run.  After uninstalling a great deal of the "HP Recommended Applications" from the laptop, the old card game could be played.  I might also add that the computer ran a little better as well...

Regards,

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: AtlasMark on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 01:49
Perhaps, because I first loaded the program onto my old Windows 7 PC, it won't allow me to download it, or open it on this new Windows 10 PC.

I assure you that I've never implemented any re-install blocker in my software since I started software development 25 years ago. The Aerowinx manual and the installation program even explain that an Aerowinx folder can be directly copied from one computer to another. It has worked thousands of times. If Java doesn't run on your second Windows computer, then this is -- in fact -- a Java/Windows problem, not an Aerowinx problem. I cannot modify the Java/Windows products, nor do I know any trick to solve the issue. This is frustrating indeed.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Steve Hose

Hi AltlasMark,

Try copying the Aerowinx folder to the root of your Windows drive (usually C:\) and run from there.

Check your folder and file permissions for the Aerowinx folder - you should have full read/write permissions.

Let me know how this goes.

AtlasMark

Good Day Rod,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the AdaptPSX application, then tried to run it. I got an UNABLE TO LAUNCH APPLICATION error message.

I appreciate your effort. Thanks.

Mark.

Holger Wende

Hi,

What error message do you get when "Testing Java", as I tried to explained above?

And another idea:
As far as I recall there were ways to download and install Java versions parallel to the default Java installations, and not attached to the browser. There should be an older forum thread on this topic.
Not sure whether this option is still possible, but it might offer an opportunity to test a separate fresh Java installation without touching the installed version.

Good luck, Holger

Edit: This is the article I was looking for:
It wss about installing an older Java version, but might work for you as well.
http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=28241#post28241

AtlasMark

Hi guys,
Just a quick update ...
Okay .... you won't believe what just happened. To give you some background, I went in to a pc repair shop to ask the guys there to help me see if I was doing anything wrong, or missing any steps with the suggestions you all had for me. They couldn't find anything. Next, we uninstalled java (by the way, java is being discontinued, I was told) and reinstalled older versions, going back as far as early 2016 and moving forward until the latest. Still nothing, not even Rod's AdaptPSX got any error messages. At some point we weren't even getting any error messages at all. The last thing we did before I went home was to install the latest 32 bit Java. I left the pc repair shop very disappointed. When I got home, I an email from Hardy suggesting I try JavaFix one more time. So I did (more out of desperation than anything else), it worked!!!
I called the pc guys up again, and they took remote control of my pc to make sure I did things right and to make sure I didn't screw it up. So .... after all that, I got the program loaded.

Roddez

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you have been able to get PSX working.  As we all suspected, the issue was with the Java installation on your new PC.

Quote from: AtlasMark on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 18:45
(by the way, java is being discontinued, I was told)

I can assure you that Java itself is not being discontinued, but rather Java 8 has reached "End of Life" status. 

The official word from Oracle is:

Quote"Java SE 8 has gone through the End of Public Updates process for legacy releases. Oracle will continue to provide free public updates and auto updates of Java SE 8 from Oracle at java.com, until at least the end of December 2020 for Personal, Development and other Users.

What does this mean for you - nothing at the moment, Ops Normal.  :)

Cheers,

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY

John Golin

As Rod intimated the comment that 'Java is being discontinued' is as correct as saying that because Windows 7 goes out of support in January, that 'Windows is being discontinued'.

:)

John Golin.

Hardy Heinlin

Great "Never-give-up"-story, Mark :-)

Glad that it works now.

For all readers, here's the link to the solution again:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Jarfix.shtml

Regards,

|-|ardy