News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WX Update Supression Around Achorage Intl Airport PANC

Started by G-CIVA, Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:45

cavaricooper

SO.... locking DEST Wx at 20mn would work if it's ignoring METAR...?

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:17
Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:14
With your new module/update, could that be done automatically at 20 or 25nm?  That would solve the issue of new METARs popping up on final at the destination, and CBs and W/S would already be noted.

C

No, SIGMETs only inform about significant weather.
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

To lock your destination, e.g. PANC, do this (whenever you want):

Deselect 'Set zones by flight track and downloaded METARs'.

Then ...

1. Enter PANC in any of the 7 zones (if isn't entered already).
2. On the PANC zone page click "Load from METAR" and wait until the data is loaded.
3. On the PANC zone page click "To zones".

Now all 7 zones refer to PANC and have the latest PANC METAR. Only the data of the first PANC page will be applied to the simulated planet. The other PANC duplicates will not be used; their data will not be applied. Instead of making PANC duplicates you could also enter dashes "----" in the airport fields of the other 6 zone pages. That would also disable the other 6 pages.

|-|ardy

Note that your radar in this case will only display PANC weather.

Hardy Heinlin

I have an idea ...

I could use the data output of the EPWS terrain clearance floor alert computer. This tells me, based on a special geometry algorithm, on which runway the crew will probably land. It also tells me the identifier of the airport the runway belongs to.

Maybe I can use this identifier to select and lock the related weather zone when it is one of the current 7 zones and when the aircraft's distance to that runway is less than X.

What would be a good value for X?

5 nm?

|-|ardy

P.S.: This will keep the other 6 zones on the simulated planet and hence on the radar as well. It will just keep the desired zone focussed. The focussed zone is the one that affects aerodynamics and windshield effects. All 7 zones together affect radar and weather report simulations.

cavaricooper

I would suggest 10nm, but would prefer to hear from Jon, Peter, Ice etc.

This would be a good compromise, allowing for realism without spurious changes, as well as the ability to concentrate on flying final and not having to pause and type.

Thanks- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

10 nm is too much (too boring), in my opinion. Give neighbour METAR stations a chance to replicate real-world weather constellations.

The windsock is 10 nm away!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Just throwing JET-A1 on the fire.

Could the zone that EGPWS thinks you're aiming for get heavier weight, instead of focus? Or a larger focus zone?

Hoppie

Britjet

Notwithstanding that it seems reasonable to include a report with a thunderstorm over it - perhaps one solution would be to have a local weather "matrix" which excluded obviously inaccurate or local-effect reports such as errant pressure settings or winds?

It doesn't make sense to have a huge change on final approach. Of course - if the destination is one of those "errant" airfields what do you do then? Take notice because it is an FMC destination?

Peter.

Hardy Heinlin

We're talking about a wind direction change of 10°.

And about a wind speed change by 9 knots.

And about an area where gusts are present while another windsock does not report gusts.

And about a change rate that is very, very, very slow.

I'm not going to spend any more develoment time and turn this already super-smooth transition system into a quasi-static system.

I'm offering the above solution which is an optimal solution, in my opinion. And when that is done I want to return to my main project ...

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Quote from: G-CIVA on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41
Wind at Lake Hood Sea Plane Base ..... 170/05
Wind over the RWY15 at Anchorage ..... 160/14G25

cavaricooper

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

I bid 7 nm.

7 nm.

Going once, going twice, sold ...

cavaricooper

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Hardy - not much of a vote there! I wasn't ready!
Complete by March 29th?

Peter.

cagarini

I have experienced this "changes" nearby LPPT, when flying circuits. Nearby LPCS and LPMT, and sometimes also LPAR are to blame, specially when there are banks of fog, or the hills to the North of LPAR can affect the wind patterns between there and LPPT.

It's difficult to guesstimate the correct blending between these nearby areas where METAR / SPECI, but there's one aspect I would like to see treated with higher granularity in PSX - cloud cover depiction when, for instance, FEW is present and I see a mantle ( OVERCAST ) of white around me, and it suddenly disappears when transitioning into a cloudless area.

Hardy Heinlin

The PSX windshield graphics do not model single cloud objects. Only the radar does.

Hardy Heinlin

cavaricooper

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA