News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Sad: Atlas 767F down near Houston

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:25

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Although it should not matter in grief... always a higher chance over here that we lost some friends...

http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_2d40d8ba62f5e85130bce6065b117780   <-- text version

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c497c3c

Hardy Heinlin

If it's someone of our community it hurts even more. I'm hoping for a sign of life ...

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

That's actually what I meant with "over here." Any Atlas drivers here?

Mariano

Hey guys,

I'm with Atlas and, like most in the community, we are still quite disconcerted.

All we know is that no effort is being spared taking care of the affected families.

Regards,

Mariano

Hardy Heinlin

I'm very glad you're still here, Mariano!

What a catastrophy for the families and friends.

|-|ardy

Mariano

Thank you for your concern, Hardy.

Somber and humbling days ahead.

Best regards,

Mariano

double-alpha

Aviation is a big family, and when a tragic accident happens, we are all very saddened

ScudRunner

Do I understand correctly that Jon is on 76's with Atlas also??? Hope all OK.

emerydc8

I'm at K4 on the 767, but this still hits pretty close to home for me. I just got off the phone with an FO I flew with last month and he's pretty disturbed by it too. He has a wife and two young kids. We operate from the same hub as these guys and we all know it could have just as easily been any one of us instead of them.

Jon

Will

Mariano, I'm very sorry that you've had a loss in the family.

Best wishes all around, for anyone affected by this tragedy.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

NTSB press conference record at AvHerald.com.
There is surveillance video of the A/C in a nose down, steep dive before impact. Something ugly must have happened not with engines and not asymm. Anybody's guess what.

Patience... difficult.

Hoppie

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: emerydc8 on Sun, 24 Feb 2019 22:25
I'm at K4 on the 767, but this still hits pretty close to home for me. I just got off the phone with an FO I flew with last month and he's pretty disturbed by it too. He has a wife and two young kids. We operate from the same hub as these guys and we all know it could have just as easily been any one of us instead of them.

I do feel the same. However rationally, you or me driving to work still is so much more dangerous (especially down here in Miami) that it should provide a bit of comfort that once in the aircraft, you are in a rather safe environment. Statistics are ugly.

Hoppie

emerydc8

Thanks. You're probably right, especially in MIA. I jumpseat almost every month on Atlas and I haven't been on a flight yet where I wasn't made to feel at home and where I didn't know someone (usually a lot of people) that the crew also knew. Maybe it's because I used to work at Polar in another life, or maybe it's just being in the freight side of the business since 1988, but I've found a certain degree of comradery with the Atlas crews that has made it feel like I'm deadheading on my own company's airplane. We usually end up talking so much that the hours go by quickly. On behalf of the Kalitta pilots, our thoughts are with our Atlas brothers right now.

Mariano

Thanks, Will and Jon.

Tragedies do help us put things in perspective, as we tend to get wrapped around and consumed by mundane and mostly irrelevant issues during the course of daily life.

Lessons will be learned from this terrible situation, albeit at an extremely steep cost. That's all for which we can hope, at this point.

Best regards,

Mariano

tango4

Guys,

My first thoughts go the families of the victims of course.
But Jon and Mariano, by your respective jobs I can understand how you must feel right now and how things have a much more personal feeling for both of you.
I guess I speak for many people here saying that if aviation is a family, this forum is a sub part of it.
Both of you are exceptional contributors to this forum, and even if I am frequently a silent reader, and I don't take the time to say thank you, your excellent contributions are always appreciated. People like you are what make this place special.
I guess Hardy's biggest credit, aside from having developed PSX, is attracting quality people that are passionate about what they do, and willing to share it.

With all my thoughts.

Charles

cagarini

Very sad news :-(

From that report from the camera, might it have been due to cargo detachement ?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We've seen so many wild theories, it makes no sense to just speculate. Cargo shift is not impossible but unlikely that late into the flight and with Amazon, it's usually voluminous but light. Better wait for the investigation to produce results. Should not be a very long wait.  :-(

Hoppie

cavaricooper

God Bless & God Speed! Our thoughts and prayers follow.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:47
We've seen so many wild theories, it makes no sense to just speculate. Cargo shift is not impossible but unlikely that late into the flight and with Amazon, it's usually voluminous but light.

I don't understand why Amazon freight should be lighter than other average freight. Amazon sells all kinds of products, not just popcorn.

Mariano

Charles,

Thank you for your very kind words.

I have always been amazed at how professional, cordial and welcoming this forum has remained ever since I joined it back in 1997.

I will never understand how one mortal being could have created such a mind-blowing (and affordable) software, and I will never comprehend how he managed to keep this forum so clean and so different from most other nasty, verbally-abusive and negativity-filled forums and online communities these days.

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Tweeter or any other form of social media. This is the only forum I frequent and the only way I socialize online (aside from WhatsApp), mostly because of the way people behave when behind the safety of a screen. I do read Av Herald reports regularly and sometimes I make the mistake of straying into and reading a few posts from readers, which only reinforce my decision to stay away from socializing online.

After PSX was introduced, I feared that our small community would be flooded by hordes of arrogants and "experts". Somehow, this never materialized and we remain a rare, yet exemplary online family, for which I couldn't be more pleased.

Best regards,

Mariano