News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Weather Injection via P3D experiences

Started by Jurgen, Sat, 26 May 2018 09:00

Jurgen

Hi Gents,
Since the VisualPSX weather component proves to be a little bit "temperamental" and Garry's PSX.NET overs a superior alternative for the visual, I was wondering what tools you use to inject weather into P3D so that it sort of matches the weather of PSX on the IOS client. Since this is in large sim, we do things from the IOS screen, so a client to server solution would be needed. Appreciate if you can share your experiences in both pro and cons.
Thanks
Jurgen

Chris Kilroy

I use FS Global Real Weather (https://www.pilots.shop/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=253b8b5c-0a91-4935-8d01-b3c70aee6034) in my sim. It supports networking so I run the server on my main PSX computer and the network bridge on each IG/P3D machine. The weather always matches PSX well (it's based off the same METAR data) and it's the only weather software I know of that matches the cloud renderings between each image generator to give one big seamless weather view.

Downside is that it only supports live/real-world weather, so I have no way in my sim of setting Cat I, Cat II, CAVOK, etc. with one click of a button like is possible in the real sim for training purposes.

Jurgen

Thanks Chris, will check it out. Much appreciated.

farrokh747

I use FS Global Real Weather  as well.... It supports a server/client setup....

fc

G-CIVA

This sounds interesting ...

I am an ActiveSky user myself - injecting ActiveSky upper winds & temperatures above FL200 from p3D into PSX across my network via WidePSX.

My question to Chris & Farrokh is can the upper winds & temperatures above FL200 from FS Global Real Weather be injected from p3D into PSX across my network via WidePSX or PSX.net perhaps? or indeed in another way (without an app perhaps?) to achieve the same effect I am currently getting?
Steve Bell
aka The CC

farrokh747

Quotecan the upper winds & temperatures above FL200 from FS Global Real Weather be injected from p3D into PSX across my network via WidePSX or PSX.net perhaps?

AFAIK psx.net externalsim will not push WXR from P3D to PSX, or the other way around - PSX and FSGRW independently get their metar from the internet

QuoteFS Global Real Weather not only delivers weather data calculated out of realtime data of more than 24.000 observation stations (land- and seabased) worldwide. It also calculates air masses and temperatues for upper airlevels on a scientific base, which is absolutely necessary for correct flight planning using real world tools.

Im assuming PSX also gets the same upper winds data from its download source....

cheers,

fc

G-CIVA

Quote from: farrokh747 on Tue, 29 May 2018 09:10
Im assuming PSX also gets the same upper winds data from its download source....

No .... this is the eternal issue ... in PSX wind & temperature ABOVE FL200 are 'a work of fiction' in that it is up to the end user to manipulate the jetstream model via the Situation>Weather>Planet interface or utilise an external WX Engine 'a la ActiveSky' output via a scenery generator such as p3D through an application such as WidePSX or PSX.net to inject said wind & temperatures from said WX engine into PSX.

Within PSX 'realworld WX' is only injected below FL200 from the PSX download source.

Some people will say its like apples & oranges - if you are using PSX simply as a procedural trainer then I would imagine that the facility to have real world upper winds & temperatures injected into PSX is of little value.

If on the other hand you are a hard core simmer & you like to utilise flight planning software like PFPX & you do like to combine the 'art' of planning & flying for somewhat longer (some of us do) then accurate real world representative upper winds & temperatures do become very relevant to your overall PSX experience.

Just simply manipulating the the jetstream model via the Situation>Weather>Planet interface does not measure up to a PFPX flight plan.

I fully understand the concept that PSX & FS Global Real Weather might be utilising 24000 ground based observation stations worldwide but so does the simulation worlds favourite WX Engine product - ActiveSky.

You might then ask why am I asking the question in the first place? - Because FS Global Real Weather looks like a very simple & more elegant solution than ActiveSky & it also might save on valuable system resources - I am always eager to try anything new that might enhance the sim experience.

I think the question has been answered regardless.

It looks like upper winds & temperatures produced by FS Global Real Weather that are 'injected' into a scenery generator like p3D cannot - as we speak - be then 'injected' into PSX with or without some kind of application like WidePSX or PSX.net.

Perhaps somebody with a flair in this area could look at this & create an application?

Best

Steve
Steve Bell
aka The CC

farrokh747

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3629.msg48569#msg48569

QuoteWe then pull the upper winds from P3D into PSX to keep the PSX world winds in line with the real world upper winds.  PSX.NET.Weather does this for you by pulling out of external sim, and a new version will be released shortly with the dispatch center.

PSX.NET.Weather is part of the PSX.NET package....

http://www.psxaddons.com

http://www.psxaddons.com/psxnet/

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3681.0

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4584.0

cheers....

fc

G-CIVA

Ahh OK, the PSX.net WX dll will do the job then.

Iwonder if WidePSX can also do the job?

Thanks for the clarification.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

farrokh747

Steve 

the above info is out of date - please see http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3681.msg50631#msg50631

QuoteThe Winds uplink handling is now done by BACARS 4.0 and above so that modules in PSX.NET is obsolete.

fc

simonijs

Back in 2009, I was invited for a jump seat ride on flights from Amsterdam to Lima and back. A 777 is (still) used by KLM for this daily flight. I noticed, that during pre-flight the Average Flight plan wind and the average deviation from ISA were inserted at the last waypoint before Top of Descent, for the initial cruising level. This procedure was also recommended in KLM's 747 AOM to avoid annoying "Insufficient Fuel" messages.
Early in the flight, the upper wind and temperatures were manually inserted into the CDU. So: no datalink request was sent.

Using PSX, just like Steve mentioned, I normally manipulate the Jetstream model via the Instructor's Situation>Weather>Planet so as to match as much as possible the real world upper weather. Sending the request for upper winds and temperatures then draws the PSX weather into the LEGS pages. This information comes from the atmospheric model within PSX, and is very accurate based on this model and how I manipulated it.

So here is what I was thinking (NO knowledge whatsoever on programming...!!!): could this be a reversible process? That is: would it be possible for the PSX atmospheric model to adjust itself to manually inserted winds and temperatures for each waypoint on a route to fly?

A simple "No" will do, Hardy ☺

Kind Regards,
Simon
MAC (2011, "old" stuff), no scenery generator (too heavy consumers for a 2011 system), and no correct OS for most of the nice stuff in the AddONs

Hardy Heinlin

No :-)

I rather want to develop something that injects aloft wind/OAT data from the Internet into PSX.

Regards,

|-|ardy

simonijs

Good to know it's a NO! And thanks for just even thinking about some other way to make this possible.

Regards,
Simon

Chris Kilroy

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 30 May 2018 17:42I rather want to develop something that injects aloft wind/OAT data from the Internet into PSX.

Gary Oliver

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 30 May 2018 17:42
No :-)

I rather want to develop something that injects aloft wind/OAT data from the Internet into PSX.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Please!!!!

tango4

You should never have written that Hardy.
Many of us have probably started drooling on our beloved yokes...
Now let us pray !

Hardy Heinlin

It's been on my todo list for 10 years. No secret. I just can't predict the release year yet.

|-|

Britjet

G-CIVA

Will these help bring the 'Tuesday' any closer ....

Steve Bell
aka The CC

cagarini

Wow! 

Winds and temps aloft + sigmet turb would be Just Great !
The only biggest probem would be losing your Global Weather Model, since I believe blending the observations / forecasts from GFS with PSX Global Weather Model would be complex...

P.S.: While I can accept the arguments from those who like to use RW weather data for their virtual flights, and see those injceted into a flightsim, for me I still would opt for a totally independant Global Weather Model like the one used in PSX, but with the possibility of "virtual-METAR" based on it's own values.

Instead of being like it is right now in PSX, where RW METAR data is fetched and then merged with the Global Weather Model, I'd prefer to see Global Weather Model derived METARs, not real world but PSX.  I think that given the ammount of detail programmed in the model used in PSX we would get na even better experience.