News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

JP59

Hello,

WidePSX version 2.5 is available ! Registered users received an email at the address they used for the PayPal, with a link to download the update. Purchase inquiries can be sent by email at ptorne78@gmail.com. The free and fully functional trial version (25 minutes limited) is also updated and is available here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvahw3pob42mo5u/WidePSX_TRIAL_2.5.1.zip?dl=1

With the release of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator "2020" (MSFS) some changes in WidePSX became necessary. I always thought the project was not dead and that I will take care to make WidePSX fully compatible with this new Scenery Generator. It is done now, and it is a great satisfaction for me as a developer. I finally managed to keep everything within a single application. It was harder for me to develop, but it will be far simpler for the end users who will be able to use either FSX, P3D and the new MSFS as Scenery Generator with a single application.

Here are the changes in version 2.5 :

- First of all, ALL the version 2.0 features remain available. Only the Offsets have been removed when using MSFS as they (at first sight) are no longer necessary due to the scenery accuracy of MSFS. I may consider making the offsets available with MSFS in case of misplacement issues (MSFS or Add-On Sceneries wrongly placed).

- Scenery Generator selection in the Network Tab (FSX/P3D or MSFS). The Scenery Generator Tab layout will change depending of the Scenery Generator in use. MSFS now has its own layout.

- Scenery Generator Bridge logic completely reworked. The lift-off and flare smoothing algorithms have been rewritten from the roots. Now the airplane's tail doesn't strike the runway anymore during rotation, and the Ground <-> Air transitions are smoother.

This new algorithms are used by default with MSFS. However, FSX/P3D users will have the possibility to use or not this feature which is at its Beta phase for this Scenery Generators. Not using this feature will enable legacy WidePSX 2.0 algorithms. This selection can be done with a checkbox located on the Scenery Generator Tab, only visible when FSX/P3D is selected as the Scenery Generator (see picture below) :

- Speedbrakes were partially deployed on the Scenery Generator's airplane when loading a PSX SITU with Speedbrakes armed. This bug is now fixed.

Now let's talk about the actual MSFS limitations. There are some functions of the MSFS default 747-8i which are not, or partially accessible via SimConnect commands. Some commands also have bugs. It makes impossible for WidePSX to synchronize some parts of the aircraft with PSX. The following have been tested, and are true MSFS limitations. So for the moment we can't do anything else than asking MS/Asobo to implement those missing commands.

- NAV lights switch only updates Left (red) light. The right (green) light always remains ON.
- Strobe lights not working
- Beacon upper always ON. Lower is Ok (OFF and BOTH positions are synchronized)
- Windshield wipers not accessible
- Window heaters not accessible
- Bug with engines anti-ice commands
- Wing anti-ice not accessible
- Taxi lights commands the Left Runway Turnoff Light

The actual workarounds to avoid ice buildup on the windshield is to disable icing simulation in MSFS, or manually turn ON windshield anti-ice in the MSFS 747-8i overhead. I also linked PSX Wing Anti-Ice switch to command the whole MSFS 747-8i Engines + Wing de-icing, as it is the only option available at this time.

The workaround regarding Taxi lights : I decided to link the PSX Taxi lights switch with the MSFS 747-8i Landing Lights. It is the "less bad" solution I found. I think it is better to have inaccurate Taxi Lights than no lights at all.

I sent a ticket with a list of those missing SimConnect commands and bugs to Microsoft support asking for a fix. When they will become available I will of course update WidePSX.

Happy flyings with WidePSX.

Cheers,
Jean-Philippe

JohnH

When I extract the new update and click 'WidePSX.jar nothing happens? If I try to re-download the previous version from your dropbox its says 'error 504'?

John

G-CIVA

JP,

Thanks for the continued work ... the update details look great!
Steve Bell
aka The CC

funkyhut

Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

JP59

John,

Please follow the instructions given in the email you received carefully. You must extract and copy the contents of the extracted folder to your previous version 2.0 folder and overwrite files when asked.

Trying to execute the .jar file provided directly from the update folder will not work, as the update folder only contains modified files. Some libraries will be missing and the jar will not launch.

It is normal you can't download version 2.0 anymore the link is dead because there is a new version available.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

Quote from: JohnH on Fri,  2 Oct 2020 23:12
When I extract the new update and click 'WidePSX.jar nothing happens? If I try to re-download the previous version from your dropbox its says 'error 504'?

John

JP59

Hello,

Version 2.5.1 is available. Sorry for the update so early after the last build release but an idea came to me tonight :-)

The lift-off algorithm has been modified. Sometimes in case of very very deep takeoff climb gradient the smoothing algorithm was too loose to catch the target altitude in a realistic time. Now a fixed offset is applied until 1000ft AGL and a quick (almost) unnoticeable smoothing is applied passing 1000ft AGL.

Registered customers received an email with the link to download the update. The new trial can be downloaded here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvahw3pob42mo5u/WidePSX_TRIAL_2.5.1.zip?dl=1

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

JohnH

Got it working, thanks for the update!

John

Quote from: JP59 on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 06:42
John,

Please follow the instructions given in the email you received carefully. You must extract and copy the contents of the extracted folder to your previous version 2.0 folder and overwrite files when asked.

Trying to execute the .jar file provided directly from the update folder will not work, as the update folder only contains modified files. Some libraries will be missing and the jar will not launch.

It is normal you can't download version 2.0 anymore the link is dead because there is a new version available.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

Quote from: JohnH on Fri,  2 Oct 2020 23:12

John

GodAtum

Quote from: JP59 on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 08:23
Hello,

Version 2.5.1 is available. Sorry for the update so early after the last build release but an idea came to me tonight :-)

The lift-off algorithm has been modified. Sometimes in case of very very deep takeoff climb gradient the smoothing algorithm was too loose to catch the target altitude in a realistic time. Now a fixed offset is applied until 1000ft AGL and a quick (almost) unnoticeable smoothing is applied passing 1000ft AGL.

Registered customers received an email with the link to download the update. The new trial can be downloaded here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvahw3pob42mo5u/WidePSX_TRIAL_2.5.1.zip?dl=1

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Amazing, going to use it today! Did you get rid of the new "Use new lift/flare" option?

JP59

No. Why would this option be a problem ? This option is only available for FSX/P3D users who want to try the new algorithms instead of using legacy ones. When using MSFS the new algorithms are used by default and the option is by fact not available.

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

GodAtum

Quote from: JP59 on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 11:18
No. Why would this option be a problem ? This option is only available for FSX/P3D users who want to try the new algorithms instead of using legacy ones. When using MSFS the new algorithms are used by default and the option is by fact not available.

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

It's not a problem but FYI v2.5.1 is missing it if it's of anyone's interest.

brian747

Hi Jean-Philippe!

And many thanks indeed for your new release, which works splendidly. (If you recall my comments during the beta testing some while ago, you can imagine how happy I was to find that the rotate is now fixed, also).   

More to the point, having installed MSFS only a couple of days ago I was delighted this morning to discover your 'mail regarding the release of v2.5. Naturally, I couldn't resist a short sightseeing trip (Heathrow 27R and back to Heathrow 27L) to test it out....

[Images reduced from 3440 px wide):

The set of full-sized images will be available for the next seven days from this link (16.8 Mb download):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh44yrhl51lewxw/MSFS%202020%20-%20first%20flight%20round%20London.zip?dl=0

(I confess that I did have to fiddle the weather - the rain over the south of England is vile at present, so I forced sunny skies for better viewing).   

The aircraft moved as smoothly as ever, and my very healthy frame rate seemed entirely unaffected: many congratulations on a splendid implementation!   

My PSX experience is, I feel, significantly enhanced.

Best wishes,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

cavaricooper

JP-

I too am most appreciative of your time and talents... https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1xxk72a18vdq0o/IMG_6048.MOV?dl=0

Until there is a SIMPLE model that works with WidePSX/MSFS, I have no desire to have anything but the Cockpit view.  I agree that cockpit visuals are the MOST IMPORTANT THING.  When I want pretty, I will fly MSFS.  When I want a 747 I will fly this.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JP59

Nothing is missing GodAtum. As I said before, this option is only available for the FSX/P3D users. The layout of the Scenery Generator Tab changes depending of the Scenery Generator in use (FSX/P3D or MSFS). Because the new algorithms are used by default with MSFS, this option and its associated checkbox are not displayed in the Scenery Generator Tab when using MSFS as Scenery Generator.

Quote from: GodAtum on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 11:20

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

JP59

Thank you Brian and Carl for the kind words. Brian, your pictures are so beautiful, as usual. I have to say I thought about you and our conversations when updating the lift-off process :-) Glad to see you happy with this new build.

Kind regards,
Jean-Philippe

GodAtum

Quote from: JP59 on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 12:26
Nothing is missing GodAtum. As I said before, this option is only available for the FSX/P3D users. The layout of the Scenery Generator Tab changes depending of the Scenery Generator in use (FSX/P3D or MSFS). Because the new algorithms are used by default with MSFS, this option and its associated checkbox are not displayed in the Scenery Generator Tab when using MSFS as Scenery Generator.

Quote from: GodAtum on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 11:20

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

In v2.5.0 the checkbox was displayed, now as you say it's hidden which is fine.

Amazing pics Brian, what settings and FPS you getting?

GodAtum

Quote from: JRBarrett on Fri,  2 Oct 2020 14:24
Quote from: JP59 on Fri,  2 Oct 2020 06:10
Hello Jim,

I never planned to remove the AloftWx feature. I will just remove the ActiveSky features when using MSFS as they is no longer AS for MSFS and by fact they become irrelevant.

All the features of the actual version 2.0 will remain in the new version for the FSX/P3D users. I plan to communicate in detail today or tomorrow about the update.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Even though I will no longer be using P3D as a scenery generator (MSFS is far superior), I intend to run Active Sky in the background while using PSX/MSFS for the sole purpose of feeding upper wind and temperature data into PSX via AloftWeather. I just want to be sure that I will still have the ability to do that with the new version. I'm doing that now with the original version of WidePSX and it works well, since Active Sky can still update PSX wind data even if it has no active connection to P3D or FSX.

I tried running ActiveSky, but it connected to MSFS and then crashed. How do I stop it from connecting?

JP59

What are you trying to do ? ActiveSky is not compatible with MSFS. I can't provide support for ActiveSky.

Regards
Jean-Philippe

JRBarrett

Quote from: GodAtum on Sat,  3 Oct 2020 13:52

I tried running ActiveSky, but it connected to MSFS and then crashed. How do I stop it from connecting?

Perhaps MSFS exposes just enough simconnect functionality to make AS "think" a compatible simulator is running? For whatever reason, this has not happened here. I will check my A.S. settings. I also own Active Sky for X-Plane, which should work equally well, without the danger that AS will mistakenly try to connect to MSFS.

Both the P3D and XP versions of Active Sky generate the same activeflightplanwx.txt file that WidePSX AloftWX can use to inject the current upper wind data into PSX. My only reason for leaving Active Sky running in the background is so that the activeflightplanwx.txt file will be dynamically updated if a new upper wind forecast is issued while in flight, but you don't have to do that. You can run Active Sky, load the same flight plan you plan to use in PSX, let it create the activeflightplanwx.txt file, and then shut Active Sky down. The only difference is that the upper winds injected into PSX will be static, and will not be dynamically updated, but that probably isn't all that important. Upper wind forecast data is normally only updated every six hours.

JRBarrett

FEATURE REQUEST

I am doing my first long flight using WidePSX to control MSFS, and it is working beautifully. I do have one request however. On the AloftWeather module, would it be possible to add a check box to force AloftWx to operate in STATIC mode, even when the simconnect bridge is active? As it stands now, if the simconnect bridge is enabled, AloftWx automatically goes to DYNAMIC mode, causing it to inject upper level weather into PSX from the MSFS weather system, instead of from the ActiveSky activeflightplanwx.txt file.

Asobo has made definite strides with the live weather in MSFS. Upper winds speeds and direction are now often quite close to the NOAA forecast upper winds that I use in my flight planner (PFPX), but temperatures are another matter. I have found that MSFS upper altitude temperatures are often 15 to 20 C too warm at any given altitude. Needless to say, this has a negative impact on aircraft performance and fuel burn.

If I turn the simconnect bridge off, to force AloftWx to STATIC mode, then the scenery generator bridge won't work.

Jim Barrett