News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

18hazelwood

Hi again,

Yes I will redo the voice video, removed for now.

But I have just recorded a 20 min demo video around EGCC displaying a fly around in different weather too etc.
Near the end, the icing on the windshield looks awesome
Really shows what can be achieved using MSFS as a scenery generator.

ps
I just need to learn how to fly this bird now ...lol

Hopkinsstevea

Here is a link for an excellent free Borderless window application I use it for x-plane and it works really well,The download is at the top of the page.
http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/manual

18hazelwood

18hazelwood

Aerowinx MSFS 2020 20min Demo around EGCC Area.

Different weather, MSFS 747 wipers in rain, Window Icing, up through cloud and down again etc...

Just testing... but so far so good ... thumbs up ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyk255a3l2w

Will

The "world sim" views delivered by MSFS look pretty good. But the MSFS out-the-windshield view looks a little off, like it's a movie shot with a wide angle lens, instead of what one would see sitting in a cockpit. Maybe that's just my impression watching these videos and not running my own MSFS installation. Thoughts?
Will /Chicago /USA

funkyhut

With thanks to Steve and J-P, here is what I've managed to do, bringing in Navigraph Charts and Pilot2ATC which work because they are linked to MSFS.
(This setup does work because I taxied from the runway threshold to this position but I've yet to discover how to make videos from the screen.)

https://youtu.be/tlgxuXEBJl8

Will, it should be possible to narrow the view by playing with the resolution in MSFS.
[EDIT] Resetting POV in MSFS General Settings corrects the view (I think).

Many Thanks.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

18hazelwood

Nice setup indeed, good video too showing your setup
Well done to you and it looks great.

As for the view in the cockpit Will there are many different ways to have it looking, MSFS 2020 has many options to get the right look and feel, the default zoom and height for the cockpit etc are slider bars in the graphics settings and can be changed on the fly....up, down , Zoom etc.

18Hazelwood

JP59

Hello,

You guys are amazing. Thank you for your constant research of realism and improvement, this is a gift for a developer to have such a great community pushing behind. Your integration with MSFS is just : WoW !

A new WidePSX 2.5 version which will be specific for MSFS "2020" usage is coming. As you know, even if the actual 2.0 version works fine with MSFS, many features are no longer necessary and an application (and code) cleanup is necessary. I am also looking for new features if technically possible.

Of course, this new version will be free for all the current registered users. I will never charge for any update, big or small. Here is the development roadmap :

- There will be two versions of WidePSX in the packages. I think it will be more comprehensive than a single version with many options for FSX/P3D/MSFS users. So the actual 2.0 version will remain as is for FSX/P3D usage, and a new 2.5 version will be released for MSFS specific usage.
- Application and code cleanup to remove features which are no longer necessary with MSFS (offsets,...)
- Some people from WidePSX community are currently working to provide a 747-400 model compatible with MSFS and WidePSX. If such a model were available, I will of course have a look at how to interface with WidePSX. However, the MSFS default 747-8 model does already a fantastic job for the windshield view, as the members video shows.
- Landing and taxi lights are very important for the windshield view realism. WidePSX 2.5 will switch the default 747-8 lights on and off according with PSX switches position.
- Windshield heaters : With MSFS icing simulation, it is important to have the MSFS 747-8 windshield heaters linked with PSX. If it is technically possible I will add this new feature in WidePSX 2.5. I will also have a look at the wing/engines anti-ice as a bonus (external view)
- Finally I will write a new user manual specific for WidePSX 2.5 and MSFS

Best regards,
J-Philippe

18hazelwood

Hi J-P,

This is great news! Version 2.5

A 747-400 model to use with WisePSX would be awesome for MSFS, as long as it does not take to many computer resources! i.e. cockpit screen refresh rates etc, as they will never be seen....
The less resources a new 747 model would use the better for all.

747-400 model for MSFS for the use in PSX
Now there's a challenge for community, I would not know where to start or I would give it a go myself ..lol

Maybe someone might have a perfectly working FMC for android tablets, that is what I crave for too...

Thanks again J-P. great news

funkyhut

Hi J-P and Steve,
I have to admit that this little project has both resurrected the thought that maybe the money I spent on MSFS and the time spent since Alpha 1 reporting bugs only to be ignored, has not been wasted. And it's brought me back to PSX after a 2 year absence.
The marriage of the best ingredients with the best eye candy has to be a winner, especially now that other 3rd party addons can join in via the MSFS link.
I opted for the allwaysontop solution because I cannot get Windowed Borderless Gaming to work.
Now I need to get back to learning how to fly this thing again.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

JP59

It may be « easy » to disable the screens of the MSFS 747-8. They are controlled by XML and JS files. Anyone with this knowledge in the community ?

Best regards
J-Philippe

JP59

Hello,

I investigated how to remove the virtual cockpit in the MSFS 747-8. I am away from my rig until Friday and can't test it, but I found an interesting information I would like to share. Please first backup your original model.cfg file.

Please have a look at the 7th post of this tread : https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/580448-how-do-you-remove-vc-and-or-the-and-fly-with-just-the-hud/

Edit : Windows frame will remain visible when only disabling interior view. If you want to remove everything and get a clear view you have to comment both "normal" and "interior" views

If anyone test, may you report here with screenshot or video ? I also wonder if it disables all the background glass cockpit rendering which is very CPU consuming. Do you see a positive impact on performance ? The developer mode FPS counter may help to see the CPU load (Coherent GT draws).

Best regards,
J-Philippe

PSX747baw91g

https://i.imgur.com/jf3ZmMe.jpg

Works ok not had any difference in frames compared to removing all vc and externals but my PC is old, also changed glass cockpit to low in the settings.

JP59

Thanks for the feedback. It looks pretty ugly with the windows frame. We will have to disable external model also but I worry about the landing lights if the external model is disabled. Did you try ?

Best regards
J-Philippe

PSX747baw91g

no lights sadly, and had to use windows sound to silence MSFS got a speed alarm after 10k when increasing speed

JP59

Sounds and crash detection must be disabled in MSFS because the aircraft is controlled by WidePSX makes MSFS « nervous ». Missing lights are an issue. No miracle solution unfortunately. I think keeping the cockpit « as is » and setting a view using zoom and camera position is the best solution now. Yesterday's videos were fantastic. Keeping the stock VC with displays refresh rate set to « LOW » may only have a negligible impact on MSFS performance.

Anyway thanks for your feedback.

Best regards
J-Philippe

JP59

Hello,

In the past some people asked me if it was possible to run multiple instances of WidePSX in a multiple FSX/P3D or MSFS simulator. This is a very specific usage but I know there is a demand and I like technical challenges. Thinking of it during the actual WidePSX update process, and after asking Hardy for explanations, I think those people could give it a new try in the following conditions :

- You must have the same number of PSX boost servers as your WidePSX instances. For example if you run 3 WidePSX instances you must enable 3 PSX boost servers on your network. Note that PSX clients can also be Boost servers. These 3 boosts must be running on 3 different computers. Edit : see Hardy's following post, the 3 boost servers can be run on the same computer following his described procedure.
- Duplicate the WidePSX or WidePSX_TRIAL folder as many times as you want to run instances (Example 3 WidePSX instances, 3 folders). Rename the folders WidePSX1, WidePSX2,... Edit : this 3 instances can be run on separate computers or on the same, indifferently.
- Now start the first WidePSX instance from the first WidePSX folder, and go to the network tab. Set PSX Boost IP to the first Boost server computer's IP. Port must be 10749. Edit : see Hardy's post below if you want to use the same computer for the 3 boost servers. Set the SimConnect IP to the first FSX/P3D/MSFS computer's IP and Port to the number you set in its SimConnect.xml file.
- Do the same above step for the other WidePSX instances. Remember every WidePSX instance must be run from its own folder. This way every instance will record its own configuration file and the process will be very simple for the next uses. Every WidePSX instance must be connected to a unique Boost server. So for every WidePSX instance, in the Network Tab, set the Boost server IP of a unique Boost server. Set the SimConnect IP to the second/third,... FSX/P3D/MSFS computer and Port to the number you set in its SimConnect.xml file.
- Now connect the 3 WidePSX instances, start the Scenery Generator Bridge and it should work.

Remember, the key is to connect One WidePSX instance to One single Boost server and One single FSX/P3D/MSFS computer. Every Boost server must be running on its own computer, or with its own port number Edit : see Hardy's post below. PSX main server can be the same for every instance.

Let me know your results and questions if any. Unfortunately I can't test here because I only have a single MSFS computer. Even if WidePSX is not designed from the roots to work in such multiple instances, I don't see anything which could make it impossible.

Best regards
J-Philippe

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: JP59 on Wed, 23 Sep 2020 20:48
These 3 boosts must be running on 3 different computers.

It should be possible to run multiple boost servers on a single computer.

If you start multiple PSX instances by AerowinxNetStart.jar, you use multiple pref files; that is, one pref file for each instance. In each specific pref file set a specific port number for the respective client's boost server.

In the pref file there's a variable named Port10749, followed by the = sign. Never change this name "Port10749". But you can change the value after the "=".

This is the default setting:

Port10749=10749

You may change it to this, for example:

Port10749=10755

So when you have 3 PSX clients on the same computer, you certainly have 3 different pref files already. In each of the 3 pref files set a different value after Port10749= -- for example:

Port10749=10755 (in the pref file of client A)
Port10749=10756 (in the pref file of client B)
Port10749=10757 (in the pref file of client C)

When an add-on is supposed to connect to client B, that add-on needs to use port number 10756.
When an add-on is supposed to connect to client C, that add-on needs to use port number 10757.

Never change the variable name "Port10749". The name is just a reminder so that you won't forget what the default value is. You can only change the value after the "=".

Regards,

|-|ardy

JP59

Thank you Hardy for this explanation. Your solution is OK at the WidePSX side.

One question though : why isn't it possible to connect multiple clients to a single boost server ? Is it a volunteer or technical limitation ?

Cheers,
J-Philippe