News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

metalmike

Has anybody else having performance issues? Instead of staying up near 70 FPS like PSX normally does, when I run it with MSFS/WidePSX it often dips down into the 20s/30s, and my GPU is being used 100%. I run both MSFS and PSX on one PC. This is despite whatever changes I make to graphics settings in MSFS.
Slight update: In MSFS I turned on vsync and limited FPS to 60. That seems to have solved it temporarily. I'll wait and see if frame start dropping again.

Britjet

Have you installed the latest MSFS hotfix dated 25 March?
That has fixed a lot of fps issues brought on by the previous update.
Peter

metalmike

Quote from: Britjet on Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:49
Have you installed the latest MSFS hotfix dated 25 March?
That has fixed a lot of fps issues brought on by the previous update.
Peter

Yes I did. Doesn't seem to have helped one bit. I think it has to do with the clouds/weather in MFS, they seem awfully unoptimized. Even if I put the cloud quality to low, I'll still get these random frame dips for extended periods of time.

beat578

Wich plane do you fly? Because there is an issue with the posky 744 since the world update 3. I had no problems with the default 747-8 though.

andrej

I confirm that default B748 works very well and there are not FPS issues whatsoever.
Andrej

GodAtum

The posky 744 still has issues, but not the default 747-8.

simbro

Hi metalmike,

on re-reading your original message I started wondering whether your reported 'FPS-issue' is in PSX or MSFS..
If it is in PSX, have you checked your framerate limiter in PSX (preferences/basics) and set it to 60/2?

This releases some 'GPU-power' which becomes available to MSFS... and doesn't impact PSX much.

Just a thought! If the problem is with MSFS then sorry, can't help atm!!   ;D

Regards
Simon

EHAM747

Hello all,

I am interested in widePSX but couldn't find a price? So what does it cost?

Greetings,
Alex Aartsen

asboyd

You can contact JP via the envelope under his profile in the first post.
He will give you all the details you need.

Cheers,

AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

JP59

Hello,

WidePSX version 2.5.7 is released. Below is a quote from the "Revision History" file provided in the downoaded package :

v.2.5.7/001 Scenery Generator altimeter setting can now be synchronized with the PSX Captain's BARO setting
v.2.5.7/002 WidePSX logo added on Network and About Tabs
v.2.5.7/003 Added an automated de-icing process (if icing is detected) to the Ground Services module with new ground engineer voice files
v.2.5.7/004 PSX Boost Server socket exceptions handling modified, if any
v.2.5.7/005 Primary flight controls synchronization reworked

Important announcement :

When I first developed WidePSX and charged a modest sum for it, I remember there where those who thought that any add-ons for PSX should be free. At the time I had some expenses to recover in developing and maintaining WidePSX and was delighted that so many people understood that and supported me. In turn I hope they all benefited from a great addition to the PSX experience. May I therefore take this opportunity to thank everyone who bought the product.

Going forward, I've decided that my initial investment had been recovered so would now like to adopt a new model for distributing WidePSX. With immediate effet, I am making it a free offering. And, in so far as I am able, I will continue to maintain it and develop it as required.

WidePSX is now available as a free download (download link available at the first post of this thread) : https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4558.0

There are no more trial or registered versions, and the downloaded package is the same for both initial installation and update. People using a Trial version will have to delete the whole existing WidePSX Trial folder, and download the new free package. To update WidePSX from a previous registered version, copy the whole downloaded WidePSX folder (after unzipping) to your actual WidePSX parent folder (containing the previous version's WidePSX folder). Say "Yes" to overwrite all existing files. Detailed installation instructions are in the user manual provided within the downloaded package.

Thank you again for your support and I'm sure everyone will welcome and understand this change.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

brian747

Hi Philippe!

Thank you for the update to v2.5.7, and for your great contribution to the PSX community!   

Since its release, WidePSX has been a vital part of my simming experience: PSX is magnificent as we all know, but with the additional "eye candy" made possible by WidePSX it becomes positively magical.

(I joined you for the last part of your streamed trip to Tahiti yesterday - well done).   

Best wishes,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

funkyhut

Hi Philippe,
I echo entirely what Brian has written and thank you for the magic.
Kindest,
Chris
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Britjet

JP59

Thank you all for your understanding and the kind words. Brian, nice to know you were watching the live.

Kind regards,
Jean-Philippe

andrej

Hello Jean-Philippe,

glad that I was able to support you in this and I concur, it is very nice gesture to the PSX community. Thank you for your continuous support!

Best,
Andrej

GustavoLaPasta

Thanks a lot JP!

WidePSX has been a game changer for me, cannot thank you enough man for this.
See you soon on your Twitch session:)

fsam

Hello, first of all, thank you Jean Pilippe for providing WidePSX, I've tried the software with PSX and MSFS2020 but with Posky B747-400 the FS Scenery did not start and I have to return to MSFS main menu and with MSFS B747-8 stock modell I got everytime the error that I overstressed the AC and MSFS2020 closes as soon I connect WideFS with PSX/MSFS2020. A/C in both Sims on ground P/B set and engines running at idle. Simconnect Settings are all green. My question, which aircraft modell I can use within MSFS2020 at the moment and what is the correct order for the startup process PSX/MSFS2020/WidePSX, could not find a solution in helpfile or forum posts. In my understanding crash detection I can only disable in MSFS2020 legacy setting, but it was without success or do i miss a setting within MSFS2020?  Thank you for your help in advance
Ralf

kwieser76

Hi Ralf

I start it in following way.

- First MFSF with the default 748 Modell (on Gate)
- then PSX
- then is start WidePSX and connect it.
- the only what is not really working with the default model are the taxi lights

With this step you have also to start the engine in MFSF if you want to use the ATC from MFSF.

The only problem what i have at the moment is if I fly a long Ronge range flight then following happen.
- a flight with a Enroute time about 8h
- start climb and Enroute without troubles
- descent also ok but
- on the approach or shortly after touchdown then MFSF is crashing with CTD. WidePSXis closing then automatically but PSX is still running , but with the last update i had following situation.
- after the crash in MFSF also PSX crashed the first time at the same time.

Regards
Kurt
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

fsam

Hi Kurt, thank you for your replay, meanwhile I found the crash detection menu within MSFS2020 under assist tabs and deactivated all of them, now the B747-8 could be started without crashing according your hint. But I've got low FPS and MSFS is not running smoothly, using B7478 stock model seems to be not an option with my config with 55" for MSFS and two 24" for PSX, too much load on CPU/GPU. Both Sim's for itself running smooth without crashing or stucking. Looking for a B747-400 I can use with WidePSX and MSFS2020, is there any model available? Best regards Ralf

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is useful to make a few clear cuts here.

"Crash" obviously has two forms. One is that the simulated airplane crashes, like if you fly into the ground. There most certainly are ways that linking up two simulators can cause one of the simulated airplanes to crash, like if their elevation databases differ and they share the same altitude above MSL. And I can imagine a ping-pong where one simulated aircraft crashes and then some data runs the other way and the other simulated aircraft crashes, too. "Crash Detection" sounds like it is about simulated aircraft crash detection.

The other crash is a software crash, where a program for whatever reason exceeds the boundaries it can cope with, and the operating system forcefully ends the program. A decade or two ago the operating systems usually could not stop a bad program from taking the whole machine with it, but this has become less frequent. Of course when one of two linked programs crashes this way, it is not sure that the other program will survive, as all kinds of bad data may have flown towards it for a while. Especially though if the crashing program has managed to corrupt a part of the computer system before the operating system stopped it, like device drivers (video card! audio! USB!), it is well possible that the other program will suffer badly as a consequence.

If you run both simulator programs on the same computer, the second kind of mutual crash is more likely than when you run them separately and only link them up by a cable. Many, but not all, programs can cope to a reasonable extent with bad inputs and won't crash, though they may stop working as intended.

Hence ... please be very clear what actually crashes (airplane or program), and whether you run both programs on the same operating system.

Hoppie