News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

St. Elmo's Fire

Started by emerydc8, Sat, 4 Nov 2017 01:51

Hardy Heinlin

Discharge flashes are now modeled in PSX 10.14:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

|-|ardy

emerydc8

A friend at UPS just experienced a static discharge on a 748 out of ICN last week. He said it was really dry air on the ground and he noticed that even getting out of the van he could see static discharges coming off his clothes as he slid across the van seat. As they were climbing out at around 1500' they saw a large flash and loud pop that appeared to be about 50' in front of the nose. It was so loud that the guys in back came up to ask about it. Maybe it was all that friction caused by a two-week-old airplane.

Will

Can't wait to see this in action. Thanks, Hardy!
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

You'll need a lot of luck :-) They appear seldom and last for just a fraction of a second ...

torrence

Hmmmm ...   Could you give a 'ball park' estimate of how long one might need to orbit inviting CB's to experience an instance?

Cheers, and Super Solstice to everyone (traditional astronomers' seasonal greeting and applicable to most cultural groups  :) )

Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

It's too complicated for a ball park summary, but I guess the probability is nearly as low as in real life. So better don't wait for it. It might appear when you're not expecting it :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

torrence

I'll keep a 'weather eye' out for it.  It's a nice semi-Easter egg.  I still get surprised sometimes by radar interference around Groom Lake and Area 51.
Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence