News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

747-200

Started by thecrazedlog, Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:44

thecrazedlog

Hey:

I've always loved the older aircraft with the steam gauges: One of my favourite aircraft was Ready for Pushback 747-200. You had to manage all three positions at once: No automation, no FMC, INS systems all the way. I loved it. Same with SSTSIM's concorde.

So while I doubt very much that HH would do it (cmon... all you need to do is remove the FMC, replace a bunch of instruments and some graphics! :P ) I would very happily purchase a 747-200 version of PSX.

Anthony

Hardy Heinlin

If I were to start developing a PSX style 742 sim now, it would be finished in 40 years. I won't do that.

|-|

Britjet

So the Alpha version could be out by next week?

Hardy Heinlin

Hessel Oosten

Quote...could...
;)

h.

torrence

Quote from: Britjet on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:39

Hardy didn't say '40yrs OLD', Peter.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

B747-400

Remember the Enterprise ... Scotty and Kirk?

Jim, I need 40 years!!
I'll give you 6 years, Scotty.
OK Jim, I'll do it in 5 months ...  ;)

thecrazedlog

Quote from: Britjet on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:39

Well see he said if "he started now" and "I won't do that". So it could be that he's already started and almost finished!

(I can picture Hardy tearing his hair out now in frustration ;D)

Avi

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu,  2 Nov 2017 21:50
If I were to start developing a PSX style 742 sim now, it would be finished in 40 years.

I thought a lot about this sentence. Obviously you didn't mean that but I am wondering; if you had all the technical and electrical data (which I'm sure you don't and I doubt if you can get it), how long would it take? You worked almost a year on the FMC. The INS must be much simpler. There will be far more Qh and Qi vars but the systems of the classic can't be more sophisticated and complicated than the B774, can it?

I "found" Ready For Pushback very late and played with it for a very short time but enjoyed it a lot (especially the CIVA INS unit add-on).
A modern B742 sim could have been a very nice one.

Avi Adin
LLBG

thecrazedlog

Quote from: Avi on Fri,  1 Dec 2017 18:26
Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu,  2 Nov 2017 21:50
If I were to start developing a PSX style 742 sim now, it would be finished in 40 years.

I thought a lot about this sentence. Obviously you didn't mean that but I am wondering; if you had all the technical and electrical data (which I'm sure you don't and I doubt if you can get it), how long would it take? You worked almost a year on the FMC. The INS must be much simpler. There will be far more Qh and Qi vars but the systems of the classic can't be more sophisticated and complicated than the B774, can it?

I "found" Ready For Pushback very late and played with it for a very short time but enjoyed it a lot (especially the CIVA INS unit add-on).
A modern B742 sim could have been a very nice one.

I wondered this myself. I've got 12 years experience in IT as a systems administrator and have some (basic) idea of programming. I would imagine that most of the systems between the 747-200 and -400 would be fairly similar, its just that on the -200 they were human controlled and on the -400 they were computer controlled. The weather, visual, ATC and physics engines are already done.
Hardy, please understand that this isn't us saying "why aren't you do this, this is so easy", its more a case of "hey, this doesn't look as bad from the outside, what are we missing?". I for one would be quite interested to know the answer to that if possible, I enjoy learning about this sort of stuff.

Avi

Quote from: thecrazedlog on Fri,  1 Dec 2017 21:12
"hey, this doesn't look as bad from the outside, what are we missing?".

Have no mistake, I don't ask "what are we missing" because, as a tester since Alpha 1, I know (and wrote it: technical and electrical data).
I was just thinking about the time frame and what could be derived from PSX.

Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

The time till the release consists of several time components:

Research (look for sources, determine facts and fakes) -- takes a looooooooooooooong time
Learn (understand the connections between facts) -- takes a loooooooooooooong time
Design abstract models of what has been learned -- takes a loooooooooong time
Develop software code of what has been designed -- takes a loooooooong time
Write the code -- takes a long time
Paint bitmaps and draw vector graphics -- takes a loooooooooooooooong time
During all of this, test and modify -- takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time
Write and illustrate a big manual -- takes a loooooooooooooooong time
Help PSX (744) users -- takes a loooooong time
Discuss with PSX (744) users -- takes a loooooooooooooooooong time
Improve PSX (744) -- takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time

The zero-motivation to make a 742 consists of one component:

I do software development and design for a living; it's not a hobby. To survive I need to earn a minimum of 30K Euro per year. At the time of the 742 sim release there will be no demand for 742 training software anymore.

|-|ardy

Mark

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Fri,  1 Dec 2017 22:09
I do software development and design for a living; it's not a hobby. To survive I need to earn a minimum of 30K Euro per year. At the time of the 742 sim release there will be no demand for 742 training software anymore.

I presume (given that we're past the mid-point of the bell curve of 747 adoption) you might do one more simulator before retirement? What are the good (future-proof) choices for this?

Hardy Heinlin

B747-400

Sounds great!
A 152 Sim in PSX quality would be a valuable tool for flight schools and students learning to fly! Like my son does at the moment!

I would go for that sim as soon as it is released!  8)

Cheers
Hans

Avi

A C152 sim will require a full outside view as it is mainly a VFR aircraft. This might be a deal breaker  :)
Avi Adin
LLBG

Britjet

One of the bigger Airbuses then...

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

H'bout another vehicle with heavy in the call sign?

asboyd

Nah only got 3 engines and two of them drop off after take off... :P
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Na na na the first stage has 27 engines.