News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

New engine growl sound

Started by John H Watson, Tue, 25 Oct 2016 06:19

John H Watson

Hardy, with AerowinxU1.upd installed, I can hear some kind of (hard to describe) fluttering bass sound (which sounds more like a piston engine driven Hercules transporter, than a fan jet). This is cruising at 35,000' with all engine types and Equip Cooling in OVRD and packs switched off.

This is with headphones on, sound almost at uncomfortable volume :P

Anyone else hearing this?

Thanks
Cheers
JHW

Hardy Heinlin

I don't know what is fluttering on your system, but there is a new turbine growl sound which appears at high thrust settings. This is intentional. It sounds great on my systems.

Don't overdrive your speakers if they are too weak.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

firstcapt

Quote from: John H Watson on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 06:19
Hardy, with AerowinxU1.upd installed, I can hear some kind of (hard to describe) fluttering bass sound (which sounds more like a piston engine driven Hercules transporter, than a fan jet). This is cruising at 35,000' with all engine types and Equip Cooling in OVRD and packs switched off.

This is with headphones on, sound almost at uncomfortable volume :P

Anyone else hearing this?

Thanks
Cheers
JHW
Yaeh I got almost the same problem.
It seems a sort of a truck or a piston engine and it mostly noticeable at full thrust

Hardy Heinlin

It's not a problem, it's a feature. The jet rumble sound is indeed similar to the rumble of piston engines, but that's how it is in real life. There are thousands of flight deck recordings to prove it.

wsijster

Hi Hardy,

I installed the AerowinxU1.upd in the audio subfolder and restarted PSX. I assume that the new file is detected by PSX and that it will ' unzip'  the sound files automatically?

Thanks of your help,

Kind regards,

Wim

G-CIVA

Quote from: wsijster on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:21I assume that the new file is detected by PSX and that it will ' unzip'  the sound files automatically

Restart PSX once then close it.

Then install beta 10.0.5 & the new sound files will be installed.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

wsijster

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply! I (maybe my mistake..) did install the new PSX first and after installing AerowinxU1.upd file and restarted and closed (the new version) PSX. Is that the wrong order?

After restart and closing again the ups file still exists..

Regards,

Wim

G-CIVA

Quote from: wsijster on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:29After restart and closing again the ups file still exists..

Well the beta update page did clearly state that the sound file need to be placed into the Audio subfolder first.

Someone else has asked a question regarding the file remaining inside the Audio subfolder ... I guess the way to check if all is well is by checking on your PSX installation to see if if the following Beta 5 update has taken place:

1.0.0031. EGPWS: New male height call-out voice added; old version can still be selected as an option on Instructor > Model > Warnings with the checkbox "Height call-out voice: Legacy version".

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3858.0
Steve Bell
aka The CC

wsijster

Hardy Heinlin

1. Copy AerowinxU1.upd to your Audio subfolder.

2. Start PSX 10.1.0-beta5 or higher.

That's all.

The file AerowinxU1.upd will not be deleted. You can delete it or move it elsewhere, e.g. to another Aerowinx instance in your network.

If PSX doesn't tell you by a reminder splash screen that a sound update is required, all is OK.

|-|ardy

wsijster

Will

Very nice update! The sounds are really impressive.

I use an iMac from 2010. With the iMac's external speakers, the new noise is very apparent, and it sounds like a motorboat. It becomes the most prominent shape of the acoustic experience. But when I use headphones, the motorboat noise seems to fall back into context with the rest of the sounds and is very plausible.

Will /Chicago /USA

junkun459

Hi Hardy and all.

I also heared the flattering ranbling engine sound when I run new version first.
It might be same as JHW , firstcapt and Will  heared.

It was unusual roud noize I can't accept.  But, when I repeated close and run PSX once or twice, the sound disappeared!!
I use Windows10

best regards

Jun

Hardy Heinlin

It appears at high thrust settings only. It's not an error, it's intentional.

If you don't like it, here's a softer version:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3858.msg41116#msg41116

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Will

Just some thoughts. Hardy, the first version, on my Mac's external speakers, sounded like a mechanical noise, like tak-tak-tak-tak that was layered over and above the rest of the soundscape. It was distracting, such that my non-simming partner heard it from across the room and wondered what was going on. Previously, PSX sounded more like white noise from across the room, and didn't arouse any attention. :-)

The new version is much, much better. The sawtooth noise now sounds like a dum-dum-dum-dum that pulses up from within the rest of the sounds. It doesn't sound mechanical at all, more like a growl from a beast. I think you've done an excellent job.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Thanks, Will.

Did you test all three engine models?

|-|ardy

Will

Not yet, just RR.

I'll play around with the other two this weekend.
Will /Chicago /USA

Will

Hi again, Hardy.

I played with the other engines in several flight regimes. The "sawtooth" sound is much more pronounced to my ears in the RR engines, compared to GE and P&W. It can really stand out. But I'm assuming that's the natural sound in the aircraft with those engines. On the whole, the blend seems better in this version and is really quite good. Very immersive.

Also, the addition of click sounds for the infinite rotary selectors is a very welcome addition.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Will,

the RR model has a different basic bass tone which is independent of the extra high thrust growl. That basic tone may give the lower end a bit more presence. The growl itself is not louder than on the other models. It's just another frequency spectrum.

The GE's growl has a higher pitch (as can be heard in all those GE videos).

And the PW's growl has a lower pitch.

|-|ardy

Will

Yes, that's what I heard. After flying with RR's for so long, I was impressed by what sounded like the deep bass of the P&W engines. It made me rethink my favorite configuration... maybe I would prefer P&W for the sounds alone. I don't know where in the turbine stack the sounds originate, but in my mind it was as if the P&W engines had a more powerful, but slower, second stage. The GE engines seem to have a higher pitch whistle about them somehow.

I can't say anything about the authenticity of the sounds, but they certainly seem unique and with enough complexity to be immersive. My only complaint was the former rata-tata-tata-tata mechanical sound of the RR engines, which now in the new release seems more like an organic production of the soundscape itself, and not some kind of overlay. The sounds are so good now that I'm tempted to fly with headphones as a rule. That comes with advantages (excellent sound experience) and disadvantages (can't hear family members chatting!).
Will /Chicago /USA