News:

Precision Simulator update 10.178 (27 September 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Sully (movie)

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:26

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Anybody saw it yet?  Will I get technically frustrated if I go see it?

Hoppie

cavaricooper

Hoppie-

Much more about the personal angst suffered, and very little about the flight experience... not bad... NOT great.

YMMV

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Will

My understanding is that they needed some sort of human drama to make a 5-minute flight into a 1.5-hour movie. So they basically invented the fact that the NTSB was an adversarial bunch of witch hunters, who were out to ruin Sully's career by prejudging him guilty of errors in technique and judgment.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Roddez

Actually I thought it was a pretty good.

The movie is about a lot more than just the flight sequence. To a non-Airbus pilot, the scenes looked pretty real and very convincing.

The movie is called Sully, and to me the movie was about the man.  The incident has become a big part of the man, and it tells a bit about how he dealt with things.  You learn that the experience didn't end once the aircraft was floating in the river.  A bloke, just doing his job, became an overnight sensation.  He couldn't walk down the street without people wanting to touch/hug/photograph him.

I would suggest it is worth seeing - much better than Deepwater Horizon!

Rod.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Michael Benson

I have to say I quite enjoyed it, which is unusual for an aviation film.

I think they struck a pretty good balance between realism, 'Hollywoodness' and story telling.  Quite a few non aviation friends have commented about a new appreciation of my job and that of pilots and how novel it was to think about the consequences afterwards, not just the wrestling the controls moment.

Will

Another movie for aviation realism is, believe it or not, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the 1976 film about space aliens and UFO's.

I'm talking about the air traffic control scene, which gets high marks for realism. Steven Spielberg could have played up the drama in the controllers' and pilots' dialogue, but he kept it pretty believable (the clip is 3 minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW10xCub3Kg
Will /Chicago /USA