News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Touch screen monitors

Started by Flex, Mon, 10 Oct 2016 22:04

Flex

Hello all,

Anyone have any recommendations regarding touch screen monitors for the MIP / OH / Pedestal? I'm planning on a projector for the visuals. For those running this kind of set up: are you running PSX on one comp and visuals on another?

Cheers,

Felix.

asboyd

I would recommend using a separate PC for visuals in all cases, as the touch screens will take a bit of extra CPU time. What sim are you using for your visuals?
I have used touch screens in the past to emulate the CDU's, but now have hardware versions. I am just using the screens now as EICAS screens until I get the full panel built. Then I will use the purpose bought 10" cctv screens I bought off eBay...

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Flex

Running X-plane on an i7 at 4.8ghz along with the GTX1080. Im planning on just using monitors and not hardware initially.

asboyd

I use a couple of second hand and refurbed laptops to interface the hardware I have built already and to provide screens to fill in for the hardware i don't have yet... :). Using touch screens off the laptops allowed for less power requirements and ease of setup (ie no need to have multiple views saved, just one or two for each lappy.
My main machine runs P3D v2.5 and Visual PSX on 3 Nvidia surround configured 24" monitors at present, also PFPX and TOPCAT for the charts and TO data on the 4th monitor.
I have 3 machines networked to run PSX SIOC and Nico's PSXseecon, that way i can have hardware gradually replace screens as I go.... (also I am still stuck in the garage and have not yet started building the actual framework in the spare room (the wife's sewing gear is still all over it until she makes her mind up about how she wants her sewing room setup.......)..

Maybe one day i will get her to quilt a cockpit for me :)

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Flex

Haha! Great anecdote! Thank you for your input Alex. Good luck with the build.

Felix

emerydc8

Hi Felix,

I've incorporated a 22" Dell and a 23" Acer for the center console and overhead, respectively.

I use two computers for my setup, which was originally a Jetmax 777. My primary computer is a 4 Ghz i7 4790 with a GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 motherboard and three graphics cards (two Zotec GTX 970s running bridged and a GTX 750Ti). This drives the visuals (three Vizio E390 39" screens, inc. Visual PSX with the FSX and scenery packages), PFD/ND, EICAS, SAI and FDS CDU. I've had no problems with the frame rates even while taxiing.

My i5 is networked via a wireless modem and it drives the lower EICAS, overhead and center console touchscreens.

With a main panel setup like Britjet's (below), you can reach all the nav source selectors, FMC, EIU, alternate gear extend and other switches. With my current setup, I can't reach these switches. When you start running emergency and non-normal checklists this becomes important.

Hopefully Peter doesn't mind my reposting his setup here for you. It is really nice. My setup is below that. Cheers. Jon D.

Sylle

That's quite a setup you have there too Jon!

How is the view of the PFD over the PFC jetliner yoke?
On the pic it seems the large column could get in the way but maybe it's just the angle of the picture...

Regards,
Sylvain

emerydc8

Thanks, Sylvain.

The top of the yoke column is viewed just below the bottom of the PFD screen; so it doesn't block it at all.

Jon

tango4

Quick question for you, Jon,

The PFC jetliner column yoke has been on my radar for some time.
Is it working OK with PSX ? I'm asking because I saw another thread where someone mentioned problems with PFC hardware and PSX, but I think he was referring to flight consoles, and not the yoke.
And second question,is the "feeling" realistic when compared to a real yoke ?
Additional question for Peter if you ever read this, is there any significant difference between a 747 and a 777 yoke in the feeling, or was Boeing able to sort of replicate the feeling of classic flight controls ?

Charles

emerydc8

Hi Charles,

The PFC yoke works very well and has virtually an identical feel to the aircraft. It doesn't have the large travel angle per side like the real plane (PFC only has about 45 degrees per side), so a gust or serious crosswind might be handled a bit different, but you wouldn't pay much attention to the travel angle when landing the real plane anyway. You just use whatever it takes. The 45 degrees will still give you full aileron deflection. I've had no problems with the yoke. I'm happy with it.

Jon

Sylle

Quote from: emerydc8 on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:21
... you wouldn't pay much attention to the travel angle when landing the real plane anyway. You just use whatever it takes.
Exactly!

Funny you mention the large travel angle of the 744 control wheel...
I have been wondering for some time now why the 737 and the 747 (still to this date) have a much larger control wheel on top of the yoke that deflects 90 degrees to either side compared to the much smaller control wheel found on the 757, 767, 777 & 787.
Would it be related to the fact that both designs are evolutions of older classic Boeing models? Did Boeing want/have to keep the same steering wheel feeling over the years for short conversion training?

From a pilot's perpective, I rather much prefer the 45 degrees deflection either side on the 76 compared to the 90 degrees wheel deflection on the 737...

Regards,
Sylvain

tango4

Thanks Jon and Sylvain,
Very informative as usual.

I just think it is curious that PFC chose a deflection angle of 45 degrees, given that the PFC is modelled after a 737 one if I am correct.

Nevertheless, I have not heard of a better yoke than this one. I you know of a better one, I'm all ears !

Charles

hunijjang

Hello

What is the each used monitors to first of the picture?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Younghoon

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Younghoon.

Quote from: hunijjang on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 07:32
What is the each used monitors to first of the picture?

Did you want to ask: "What is the size of each monitor ..."?

(I don't know the size. I'm just trying to clarify the question.)

Regards,

|-|ardy

Britjet

In the first picture (mine, I presume)
Overhead: 27" monitor in landscape mode.
Left panel and right panel: 27" monitors in landscape mode
Centre panel : 27" monitor in portrait mode (lower half hidden - it's badly cracked anyway)
FMC panel : 24" monitor.
Pedestal: 27" monitor in portrait mode

All are on the same "desktop".
Peter.