News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

World Cup Miracle

Started by Will, Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:14

torrence

Thanks Jeroen - the short treatise on Belgian government may explain a lot about the way the EU runs.  I never realized that when Caesar wrote 'Fortissimi sunt Belgi" he was commenting on their bureaucracy  :) '

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Although I don't think that much of the Belgian organisation reflects on the EU because the EU happens to be well-established in Brussels, the opposite may be true. The EU is a typical case of a large umbrella organisation where the participants generally only want the benefits and rights, and not the costs and duties of the participation. The result is an underpowered biplane, being circled by a number of twin-jet-engine fighters called USA, China, Russia etc. Unfortunately, I don't see the EU participants handing over the power to command the individual aircraft parts any time soon. The number of voices calling to withdraw from the Union actually increases (nobody got rich fast, except contractors for large buildings in Brussels, Strasbourg and Luxembourg, so why stay in the EU?).

Still, I hope to once see the true United States of Europe. We simply have to.

Jeroen

torrence

Wow - Kiwis tie Italy!!  1-1

This World Cup may become memorable for the most heart-stopping draws ever (sadly a concept hard to explain to many of my American compatriots).  

Simon Elliot, whose free kick set up NZ's goal, was one of my favorite players when he was with the LA Galaxy - tremendous work ethic and ability to place a long ball on target rivaling Beckham on a good day.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Richard McDonald Woods

I am going to disagree, Jeroen.

I believe that the fundamental problem with the EU has been the desire by some countries (notably France) for an unspoken effort to create a United States of Europe, which the UK population has never wanted, and more and more countries' populations don't want either (including that of France).

I believe that we shall eventually get rid of the European Parliament and all its irrelevant and expensive MEPs, to establish a valuable coordinating centre for Europe where each country contributes to the establishment of common agreements and standards but leaves each country to implement - in other words, the establishment of a realistic European Council.

Anything else, including the Euro and a common budget, are impractical and too politically dangerous. ;)
Cheers, Richard

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

If this would indeed work, it would be a good alternative to a true United States of Europe, no doubt. And it may indeed be more feasible. Whether it would be sufficient to compete successfully against essentially monolithic, single-market, single-government, single-currency, single-business-culture entities is an open question.

Jeroen

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Avi

If it was me, I would have defect now!
Avi Adin
LLBG

Will

I fear for their safety when they get back to the DPRK.  Agree with defecting.
Will /Chicago /USA

Shiv Mathur

I just read this on facebook:

The England team visited an orphanage in CapeTown today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6.

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Perfect style of humour. The clue put in the very last character. Brilliant!

I hope the neighbours won't throw things at our living room window now... my wife decided to Make The Statement...

Avi

Let the show begin.
The 2nd round of the groups stage ended (Spain returned to itself and won Honduras 2-0) and now the third and final round. Now you move on or go home. Now we talk business.
Avi Adin
LLBG

OKD

just jump into any ambassy while they are out of their own country....but then, need to think for their own families...

Quote from: AviIf it was me, I would have defect now!
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

James Lacey

Every damned World Cup (that they actually qualify for) takes another 10 years off my life. Bloody England  :evil:

John Golin

Quote from: James LaceyEvery damned World Cup (that they actually qualify for) takes another 10 years off my life. Bloody England  :evil:

You think you'd know what to expect by now.

They'll make it through, becuase they need to lose to Argentina or Germany in a penalty shootout.

:twisted:
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

James Lacey

You are so right, John! However, that game against Algeria was the most pathetic performance I have ever seen by an English team. Incapable of even passing the ball more than a few metres, no shape, Gerrard and Lampard going through their usual routine of blind man's buff, a cry-baby donkey as centre half, a walking disaster zone at right back and the old "let's pretend it's 1955 and play long balls over the midfield all night in the vain hope that Heskey might actually a) score a goal or b) doing something useful with the ball"

Even Rooney looked like he didn't want to be there and he is the only world class player in the England squad. Capello must be wondering why the hell he took the job (apart from the 6 million obvious ones).

PATHETIC!  :twisted:  :evil:

Phil Bunch

From Wall Street Journal, excerpt.

Should the UK be downgraded to a lesser league?  (grins)

=======================
England ready to fight for World Cup survival

By DENNIS PASSA,
AP Sports Writer

PORT ELIZABETH, South Africa (AP) England's usual World Cup worries at this stage revolve around the fact it hasn't won the title since 1966.

The more pressing concern this time, ahead of its Group C match against Slovenia on Wednesday, is the fact that not since 1958 in Sweden has England failed to advance past the group stage once it's qualified for the tournament.

Yet that's the scenario facing coach Fabio Capello and his apparently discordant English players - a loss to Slovenia would end any chance of England making it to the round of 16. England has two points after a 1-1 draw with the United States and a surprising 0-0 tie with Algeria.

England didn't qualify for the World Cup in 1974, 1978 and 1994. But when the English have made it, the team usually performs relatively well - losing in the semifinals in 1990, the quarterfinals in 1962, 1986, 2002 and 2006 and the second round in 1982 and 1998.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

OKD

James & John...

If you look at England team carefully, actually there is nothing wrong with the backs as they hardly concede any goals, just that the forwards are not scoring...need to score to win games, including penalties...haha...

Even more distress when watching the aussies play....worse than pathetic...but then the French team were in disarray...!!

Egos and arrogance take over self respect and honour playing for their country....too much money too soon in their lives, unlike the good old days pre-80s or 70s...they all played with pride and honour...

Quote from: Phil BunchFrom Wall Street Journal, excerpt.

Should the UK be downgraded to a lesser league?  (grins)

=======================
England ready to fight for World Cup survival

By DENNIS PASSA,
AP Sports Writer

PORT ELIZABETH, South Africa (AP) England's usual World Cup worries at this stage revolve around the fact it hasn't won the title since 1966.

The more pressing concern this time, ahead of its Group C match against Slovenia on Wednesday, is the fact that not since 1958 in Sweden has England failed to advance past the group stage once it's qualified for the tournament.

Yet that's the scenario facing coach Fabio Capello and his apparently discordant English players - a loss to Slovenia would end any chance of England making it to the round of 16. England has two points after a 1-1 draw with the United States and a surprising 0-0 tie with Algeria.

England didn't qualify for the World Cup in 1974, 1978 and 1994. But when the English have made it, the team usually performs relatively well - losing in the semifinals in 1990, the quarterfinals in 1962, 1986, 2002 and 2006 and the second round in 1982 and 1998.
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

Phil Bunch

France said to be disgraced, per the NY Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/23/sports/soccer/23francegame.html?ref=todayspaper

:
---------------------------------
JOHANNESBURG — France  exited in disgrace from the World Cup on Tuesday with no victories and little sympathy for a team that infamously used an intentional handball to get into the tournament and self-destructed on the way out.

The French team's petulant image did not gain much redemption in its final match, a 2-1 defeat to host South Africa in Bloemfontein, south of here. Les Bleus, as the French team is known, played the final 65-plus minutes a man short after midfielder Yoann Gourcuff was ejected for elbowing an opponent in the head.

Afterward, the eccentric and departing French coach, Raymond Domenech, declined to shake hands with his South African counterpart, Carlos Alberto Parreira. Apparently, Parreira said, the snub was related to his criticism of the way France had qualified for the World Cup: the illegal handling of the ball by Thierry Henry, which was unseen by the referee and led to the decisive goal in a playoff victory against Ireland in November.

Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

Meanwhile, USA advances in the 91st minute... speaking of World Cup miracle.
Will /Chicago /USA