News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

World Cup Miracle

Started by Will, Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:14

Will

It's a World Cup Miracle... I've only been able to see a total of 8 minutes so far in this tournament.  The first 4 minutes I watched included USA's goal against England (or is it more accurate to say England's goal against England?), and the second 4 minutes were today when North Korea scored on Brazil.  I must have great luck for turning on the game at the best moment!

If I'd watched 4 minutes on Sunday, Australia would have tied Germany 4-4.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Avi

Dream on :D

Today was actually a bad day and tomorrow doesn't look any better although the 2nd round of the group stage begins and if teams want to continue they should start play, score and win or else...
Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

I've never said this, not even in 1974, but having seen a few clips of the last games it's obvious that this young German team will win the cup :-)

|-L

Phil Bunch

I listened to a podcast today about the 1950 World Cup in which the US team, possibly the least qualified team in history, beat England.  The interview with a US player on that team was remarkable as soccer had essentially zero participation in the USA at the time.  This person stayed completely unknown and unrecognized in his own town and neighborhood.

Makes a person believe in miracles.  

Maybe they'll put baseball back in the Olympics?!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Hardy Heinlin

I don't know if I've said this already, but it's absolutely clear that the Serbs will win the cup.

/-|

Will

Ha!  Sorry about the loss.
Will /Chicago /USA

Avi

Amazing return (2-2 from 0-2) of the USA and I don't think God knows why the third one wasn't approved.

I didn't think for a second that the penalty kick will go in. It simply wasn't Germany day (and they scared the Serbs too much).
Avi Adin
LLBG

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I attended the Dutch Airforce Open Days at EHGR today, and somewhere halfway the air show the announcer broke in, and said: "For those who are interested, the result of Serbia - Germany: one... zero. (2 seconds break) If you think you didn't hear it correctly: one ... zero."

Another nice trivia fact:

The Red Arrows proudly claim they have the first female display pilot in their team.
The Patrouille de France promptly claims they have the first female display team leader pilot in their team.

I have to admit that the Patrouille sounded a lot more, ehm, professional over the intercom radio   :)   World Flight "Under The Bridge and Over The Top" yells are totally nothing compared to the radio calls the Red Arrow team members make...

Jeroen

Peter Lang

Quote from: Avi.... (and they scared the Serbs too much).

Yes.  To much fear and a lack of confidence in the own qualities.  As I heard their wifes / girlfriends do not attend them. Perhaps they want to come back next week  :P

Peter

Avi

I'll bet the Germans are feeling better now (England-Algeria 0-0)  :mrgreen:
Avi Adin
LLBG

Phil Bunch

From the Wall Street Journal, June 18:

England: The Latest Europeans to Go AWOL

CAPE TOWN — The World Cup isn't supposed to be like this.

This tournament has typically held little hope for romantics: In soccer, the favorites (read: the Europeans) usually win.

Home to the best professional leagues and the sport's biggest names, half of the 18 World Cups have been won by teams from the old continent. You have to go back to 1950 to find the last time a European team failed to make the final.

In failing to record a crucial win, England joined the long list of underachievers from the old world, a roll-call that already comprises France, Spain, Italy, Portugal and — after a shocking defeat to Serbia early Friday — even Germany.

Halfway through the group stage, none of those six countries — generally considered to be among the leading contenders for this trophy — is guaranteed to reach the knockout rounds. England's precarious position is highlighted by its standing third in Group C, behind Slovenia and the U.S. following their 2-2 tie earlier in the day.

--------------
Will Slovenia win the Trophy?  Is there hope for "old Europe" ???  (grins)
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Avi

Quote from: PhillIs there hope for "old Europe" ???

Maybe Holland (they just won Japan 1-0) but Holland always starts well in the groups stage and then disappear and it was a bad game.
Avi Adin
LLBG

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It's not Holland, it's the Netherlands. Holland is just the two provinces North of the three big sewers and West of the cultural division. Calling the Netherlands "Holland" is for the native Dutchmen the same as calling the USA "Carolina" or "Dakota".  :mrgreen:

...and yes there is a South-Brabant and yes there is another Limburg and yes they are in the neighbouring country and yes there are sentiments to recombine... but with the hopeless results of last elections in both countries, this may take a while...

Avi

Quote from: JeroenIt's not Holland, it's the Netherlands.
Yes, I know. In Hebrew (and I think other languages too) it's Holland and since it is familiar in English too, I decided to use the "short" term.
Won't happen again  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Avi Adin
LLBG

Will

How federalist are the Netherlands? Are Holland and the other provinces free to make their own laws and rules, or are the distinctions just historical and cultural?
Will /Chicago /USA

torrence

World Cup

As the Brits say "It's a funny ole game in'it?"

The only constant is that every Cup brings new surprises.  Anyone favor Mexico? (when not playing each other, us Norde Americanos have to stick together)

My take on the trials of the 'traditional' European teams is that it shouldn't be a big surprise.  It's a bit like what happened to the US in Olympic basketball.  The world sends their best players to where the game (and money) is best and before long every national team has more than just one or two really good professionals.  Combined with good, solid *team* play and character and suddenly the minnows can take on the whales full of millionaire prima donnas - same thing happened to our 'Dream Team' some years ago.  

Oh and those Algerians ... when I saw where they play their professional football and looked at the demographics my first thought was that this was maybe the team that France should have fielded (apologies Pierre).  I sure hope the US has taken note of their speed and spirit.  We need a win Wed.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

torrence

Quote from: Phil BunchI listened to a podcast today about the 1950 World Cup in which the US team, possibly the least qualified team in history, beat England.  The interview with a US player on that team was remarkable as soccer had essentially zero participation in the USA at the time.  This person stayed completely unknown and unrecognized in his own town and neighborhood.

Makes a person believe in miracles.  

Soccer football participation was not quite that dismal in the US in the old days, Phil.  Pre WWII a lot of the industrial East had mill and factory semi-pro teams made up of European immigrants.  After the war TV cemented the dominant position of baseball, football and basketball.  Still it was true that there was no strong national football identity and the English players didn't know who these guys were in 1950.  I've seen some documentaries on that team - they were a real piece of work.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Will CronenwettHow federalist are the Netherlands? Are Holland and the other provinces free to make their own laws and rules, or are the distinctions just historical and cultural?
Our provinces are a political/government layer in between municipality and parliament. Many people wonder what the logic in this is. Laws are made top-down, but provinces and municipalities can add extra rules, not take rules away.

The provincial borders are largely historical artifacts coming from a long distant past, when the Netherlands (notice the plural) were formed under one king or king-like figure out of relatively independent parts. This was way before Belgium decided to split off and nobody cared :mrgreen:

Cultural lines of difference run along major rivers, which of course often mark provincial borders as well.

Notable exceptions:

Flevoland didn't exist until we pumped the sea out. It's more recent.

Per October 1st, some Carribean islands become formally a new kind of special municipality in the country of the Netherlands, while others formally become a new country in the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. This is a rather experimental construction... basically the islands that think they can survive by themselves go country, and the others go municipality.

As always, Wikipedia has nice material in English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_the_Netherlands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_politics_in_the_Netherlands

Jeroen

Richard McDonald Woods

Interesting articles.

Is there any feeling in the Flemish regions of Belgium for a unification with The Netherlands if Belgium finally splits into its two constituent parts?

Cheers, Richard
Cheers, Richard

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Not really. It seems that there are more people in the Netherlands favouring a re-unification with Flanders than the other way around.

Besides, Belgium actually has three or, in some opinions, four parts. Dutch-speaking Flanders, French-speaking Wallon, three-lingual Brussels (French, French, and French), and a tiny German part.

An extremely complex situation, called Belgium. Seven governments, not including provinces and municipalities...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium