News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

New Instructor page: "Touchdown"

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Fri, 19 Aug 2016 06:28

Hardy Heinlin

Good morning,

in PSX version 10.0.9e the touchdown data will contain more details; they will be indicated on an extra page. The data is also networked so that audio designers may experiment with customized sounds.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

acannata

Great! A dream to have a complete touchdown analysis.
Thank you so much.
Waiting for 9e...

Aldo

cagarini

emerydc8

Thanks, Hardy! That's interesting data. I'm almost afraid to look at it after I land!

Jon D.

Britjet

Can we make it password-protected please Hardy? I fear the Simfestuk people will be making capital out of this :-)
Peter

tango4

Last time I checked Christmas was not supposed to be in August. But I might be wrong...

Gary Oliver

BACARS update coming soon.

For those of you with CloudCars enabled there will be a portal where you can view data on all your previous landings.

Cheers
Goli

acannata

Why does the range of target crab angle is wider on a wet runway?
I suppose that decrabbing on a slippery surface cloud generate difficulties in aircraft control.
Thank you.

Aldo

Mark

Excellent! I'm looking forwards to seeing the data from Simfest!

Hardy - I'm guessing you've got it so that a network update is sent at the exact moment of ground contact events? (or near enough for sound purposes)

cavaricooper

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

Aldo, a wet or icy runway does less harm to scrubbing tires than a dry runway does. It's not a target, it's a maximum; notice the "<" sign.

Forum, the recommendations that I wrote in italic font are not very academic, particularly the centerline offset, VREF deviation, and crab; does anybody recommend tighter or wider tolerances?

Mark, the signals are sent in real-time and inform about strike-on and strike-off. Only the Instructor page does ignore the strike-off signals. The strike-on indications can be reset by the Reset button or by loading a situ.

|-|ardy

acannata

Thank you for the explanation.
According to the very professional style of PSX menus, my suggestion is to delete explicit recommendations.
Recommendations could pop-up when mouse pointer is over the touchdown data.

Aldo

Will

In the first section, two of the four items are mutually exclusive; for example, you can't land nose-gear up AND nose-gear down at the same time. So it's confusing when you see all four numbers displayed. Perhaps instead of 0 fpm, you could have a dash, or n/a, unless a value is recorded?

Like this:

Nose gear: -327 fpm
Nose fuselage (gear up): --

Nose gear: --
Nose fuselage (gear up): -6732 fpm

Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Aldo, as there is enough space on this page, I don't think the recommendations need to be hidden in tooltips. Are these recommendations unprofessional? Why?

Will, I'll think about the dashes. Originally it was possible to display and keep the recorded nose gear TD along with the following nose fuselage TD on a nose-gear-first landing where the nose gear gets damaged, the pitch bumps up, the pitch goes down, and the nose gear will no longer hold the nose up.

|-|ardy

Michael Benson

Hi,

Without wanting to make things more difficult/complex would it be possible to record/show the G at landing? 

I believe it is a G of 1.6 or more at landing which requires a heavy landing check, rather than any FPM number.  Is FPM fascination a product of FS rather than the RW?

acannata

Hardy,

I don't expect to read recommendations in a flight analysis report. Suggestions could be more appropriate in a game.
Moreover, in PSX menu recommendations are not provided deliberately even for very important issues, like as MTOW. I like very much the very technical style of PSX menu. For these reasons I suggest to put recommendations elsewhere, eg in the manual (in case of a new edition).
Cheers

Aldo

Aldo

Peter Lang

Hardy,

great feature. Thank you :-) Is there a possibility for logging serveral landings? I.e. if I do several touch and gos, it would be nice to see the range of the data (eventually also the wind data), without stopping at each pattern and write the data manually.

Just to see if I improve my skills :-)

Peter

Hardy Heinlin

Triple7, I have no "g" values for this. I use velocity data because velocities can be controlled by the pilot during the motion, whereas "g" values are provided only at the end when its too late. So they are of no use for instrument scanning training, be it real world or simulator.

Aldo, I disagree re "game". The limitations are Boeing limitations (and physical limitations). I have no games at home; I don't know if they too show limitations somewhere. If they do, they can't be the general reference for software design. It would be like calling an Airbus a game because Airbusses have joysticks and games have joysticks :-)

Peter, writing a log program for this is too much work for me. But add-ons may log the data.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Will

Grammar note: here in the USA we'd say "aim for", not "aim at."

"Aim at" sounds like a physical target: aim your rifle at the target, aim your pea shooter at the teacher.

"Aim for" sounds like a goal: let's aim for success, aim for 100% customer satisfaction, aim for 50 fpm.
Will /Chicago /USA